Phantom 4 Pro Night Long Exposure Photos Feedback

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been shooting some long exposure photos with the Phantom 4 Pro. I've been using the combination of Lightroom, Imagenomic noiseware plugin, and Nik Collection. I

I'm just looking for feedback and if anyone is has any other tips/workflows they would like to share for editing?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Downtown_Night_Aerials (1 of 5).jpg
    Downtown_Night_Aerials (1 of 5).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,687
  • Downtown_Night_Aerials (3 of 5).jpg
    Downtown_Night_Aerials (3 of 5).jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1,777
  • Downtown_Night_Aerials (4 of 5).jpg
    Downtown_Night_Aerials (4 of 5).jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 1,572
  • Downtown_Night_Aerials (5 of 5).jpg
    Downtown_Night_Aerials (5 of 5).jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1,615
Hi everyone! I've been shooting some long exposure photos with the Phantom 4 Pro. I've been using the combination of Lightroom, Imagenomic noiseware plugin, and Nik Collection. I

I'm just looking for feedback and if anyone is has any other tips/workflows they would like to share for editing?

Thanks!

VERY nice night shots. So how long was the exposure?

-Stach

Aputure was 5.6, Shutter: 3”, and ISO 100.
Why did you have a slightly closed aperture? You could have had 2,8 and just 1" shutter.

Unless you wanted to catch some long tail lights from cars etc..

Anyhow, good results. Nicely done.

Edit: **** that is SHARP. Looking at second photo. I am having mine replaced for focusing issues, that is it. Have never seen such sharp photos from P4P before.

I've read the P4P is best for focus at 4-5.6 to keep everything sharp in focus.
If there was any difference in sharpness, it's not enough that you'd notice.
But the difference in shutter speed you could get by opening the aperture 2 stops could make a visible difference if there's any breeze.
Like the motion blur in the last photo.

Reactions: ferncfc
Excellent photo!
I am surprised that this is done by the drone. At 3s exp. even a slightest movements does the unsharp picture. It must had been absolutely no wind there and even in that case the motors would do some vibrations. So the gimbal must had done the whole job. 3" is pretty long exposure for the aerial photo, but the picture is almost as sharp as it had been done by the tripod (literally, not the tripod function).
At classical photography at night shots usually the smallest aperture the better result if the camera is on tripod, so 5.6 is absolutely right choice.

Night shot...

Not much room for improvement there I don’t think, unlike my unedited raw shots from P3 adv........
DJI_0308.jpg
DJI_0309.jpg
DJI_0308.jpg

Right off looking at the images, edit with more contrast. Noise looks ok. Remember, go tack sharp.

Thanks for advise, although not sure about “ go tack sharp”
meaning ? I’ll do my best anyway.....

I've read the P4P is best for focus at 4-5.6 to keep everything sharp in focus.
Besides the other replies to this: using a smaller aperture such as f4-5.6 WILL keep things more in focus if you have objects that are closer to the drone (a close by foreground) as well as distant objects.

But if you far up in the air with nothing nearby (the ground below in the foreground is several dozen feet away and of course everything on the horizon is far away), then there is no better-focus benefit to that aperture. Open up the aperture all the way to f2.8 and speed up the shutter for a sharper image.

Chris

Reactions: smoke23
Well, you are talking about the depth of the field, but generally at f5.6 things are sharper than at f2.8. The exposure time at f2.8 will surely be shorter but not as much that it makes much difference, as long as we are talking about aerial night shots of course. That's why I said the sharpness at these shots are amazing.

Reactions: smoke23
If we're talking the aperture of lenses in general, it's true that the "sweet spot" for lenses on DSLRs are somewhere in the middle of the smallest and widest of apertures.

But when it comes to these ultra wide cameras on the phantoms, that rule doesn't factor in at all. It's not just the ultra-wide focal length, but the optics in these Phantom cameras just don't compare.

Actually, even with DSLR lenses, on the ultra-wides (12-20mm), the aperture makes very little difference in respect to sharpness.

So the difference in sharpness between 1 second and 3 seconds is going to be far greater than the difference between those apertures, especially on a vibrating, flying platform.

Chris

Reactions: Dronefriend
OK, perhaps you right although in terms of exposure time even 1s exposure is far too long to make sharp images. It must be something else. I suppose that the vibrating reducing system is obviously amazing.

Thanks!
F7918765-7E85-42E5-9A7D-B2E8C057D36D.jpeg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z