Phantom 4 Pro + Integrated Screen query.

Reaction score
Good day All.

Am a newbie to the forum.

Could some Phantom 4 Pro + owners please comment on the following please:

DJIGO4 app ease of use and current issues or glitches.

Limitation of no 3rd party app installation on the device.

Quality of the integrated screen/ touch interface, compared to perhaps an Ipad mini 4.

Is the smaller 5,5 inch size of the screen an issue?

Lastly, perhaps more of a personal opinion, which is the better option Android or IOS with its selection of tablets?

I'm currently on the fence, deliberating P4P or P4P +.:confused:

Any input or suggestions most appreciated!

Many thanks!
Kurt

Last edited:
I had to reboot my controller once, screen stayed black, DJI app crashed.
Reboot fixed it.

I've used a P3 with a iPad Air 2, the big iPad screen is nice but I prefer the smaller DJI screen, sun/reflection is no issue anymore...
No hassle with cables, holders etc..

The DJI app seems more laggy on Android then iOS (try the flight simulator on the P4p+!)
I'm counting on a firmware update to fix this [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I would probably not get the + (plus version) myself.
I think the P4P aircraft and camera is a winner but there must be a bigger screen around the corner for all of us who like more screen real estate to do the job.
I have always gone the iOS route so I have plenty of investment already in an iPad Pro and apps like Autopilot that I am very happy with.
Just my 2 cents worth...

I have the P4P+ and as @steven.j stated, I like the fact of not having to attached my iPad to the mount each time I fly and the brightness is great.. I would have like a larger viewing surface, prior to the P4P+ I flew my P4 with an iPad mini. I also have a Mavic which I fly with an iPhone 7+. I'm holding out for DJI to release their 2 new displays and hopefully the larger of the 2 will be affordable.

I love the screen, but after using it for a few days, I found it too small for me to adequately see all of the icons clearly. Granted that I were glasses, but the screen is still too small.

Hello,

If i connect my iPad to USB of the plus controller. Will it connect to DJI Go?

Maybe some one of you guys that have the + can test this for me please.

I'm debating the same thing i have an iPad, can't remember the number they are at, its not the latest one but the last years version, so i wouldn't have to worry about using my phone. my nest step is looking for apps that can be used with it. i think i read that only go is installed and available with the + model. is this a limitation or is it pretty much all you need. a bigger screen would be nice, but there is something to be said for simplicity.

So far I had no major issues with the integrated screen other than when trying to connect another mobile device.

Pros:
Super bright
Very responsive to touch commands.
Resolution is very good
Nice not to have to mess with an additional cable when setting up, making that process a little bit easier (but not worth $300 if you already have a mobile device)

Cons:
I agree with others that commented on the total screen area being a bit too small to really see all the icons from a distance (likely more of a problem with older eyes).
I have a non + controller on order because I don't like the limitations of not being able to load/use 3rd party apps.
Can't seem to use DJI GO4 on an attached mobile device. The controller interface only seems to want to upload / download pictures/video. And once I plug a mobile device into the controller (either through the USB port or the micro USB port) I have to shut down the controller (or reboot the integrated android device) to get the DJI app to come back to the controller.
Since the display is integrated, any problems requiring repair mean you may not be able to fly while you have the entire controller out for repair).

I'm not convinced the integrated screen is a real benefit to me. Time will tell based on how much I use P4P+ vs the standard P4P controller.

Ditto azgeek. I ordered the non + controller 3 weeks ago. Just not comfortable with the + controller yet.

Can't seem to use DJI GO4 on an attached mobile device. The controller interface only seems to want to upload / download pictures/video. And once I plug a mobile device into the controller (either through the USB port or the micro USB port) I have to shut down the controller (or reboot the integrated android device) to get the DJI app to come back to the controller.

Doesn't work even If you shut down the integrated screen, before connecting the mobile device?

Doesn't work even If you shut down the integrated screen, before connecting the mobile device?
Just tried a couple of different things.

1) Powered the controller then turned off the integrated screen. Plugged in an iPad using the USB port on the controller. Result: no connection. Disconnected the iPad and turned on the integrated screen and got the same message as before (no media files to share). Couldn't get the DJI Go display on the integrated screen, so I cycled the power on the controller. When it powered on the integrated screen connected to the P4P.

2) Powered on the controller then turned off the integrated screen. Plugged in an iPad using the micro USB port on the controller. Same result as above.

Unless I am doing something wrong --- a distinct possibility --- I don't see how to use DJI GO (4) on an iPad connected to the P4P+ controller.

Just tried a couple of different things.

1) Powered the controller then turned off the integrated screen. Plugged in an iPad using the USB port on the controller. Result: no connection. Disconnected the iPad and turned on the integrated screen and got the same message as before (no media files to share). Couldn't get the DJI Go display on the integrated screen, so I cycled the power on the controller. When it powered on the integrated screen connected to the P4P.

2) Powered on the controller then turned off the integrated screen. Plugged in an iPad using the micro USB port on the controller. Same result as above.

Unless I am doing something wrong --- a distinct possibility --- I don't see how to use DJI GO (4) on an iPad connected to the P4P+ controller.
Tks for the help. You just saved me 300€

Many thanks for the valuable feedback.:)

Personally I prefer the P4P+ option due its simplicity and usage in direct sunlight. Perhaps screen size a bit small, and lack of 3rd party support an issue to consider.

However a major concern right now is the repeated reports of app crashing with various glitches etc.

Any DJI reps that can confirm a fix/ firmware update to resolve the issues?

I also have the same doubts now about the built in screen.

There seems to be a bunch of problems with it. However, in the UK P4P+ costs £230 more than the P4P, but the RC with display is £318 more than the RC without the display.

I.e. if you want both a display and non-display RC, it is £100 cheaper to buy the display RC with the drone.

The attraction for me is 1080p, super-bright and no cables, clamps, mess etc. My biggest concern is that DJI will give it up as a bad idea and stop supporting it, especially if it is not that popular (as seems to be the case by reading here). I got burnt by Microsoft with the Surface RT and don't want to make a similar mistake.

For me it is still too many eggs in one basket sort of thing. If the display were removable or you could use a second display it may be more interesting. I'm waiting on the CrystalSky and instead went P4P with my iPhone 6 plus

Once everyone buys their plus DJI will start selling the small and large Crystalsky Stand Alone devices in February. If they sell now they KILL the + version.

Sideburn: For me it is still too many eggs in one basket sort of thing. If the display were removable or you could use a second display it may be more interesting.

I sort of agree, but theoretically you should get tighter integration with all components from the same manufacturer - providing that manufacturer has an equal commitment to each product. Sometimes tho, accessories are developed by the 'B' team and not necessarily subject to the same design quality control.

Also, I get the feeling that DJI are currently in a headlong rush to get as many new (and to be honest amazing!) products onto the market as fast as possible. The compromise for this is quality as almost any engineer will tell you.

I won't mind too much if there are some early wrinkles that need to be ironed out, providing that the support is forthcoming.

bkusner: Once everyone buys their plus DJI will start selling the small and large Crystalsky Stand Alone devices in February. If they sell now they KILL the + version.

Well from what I read the Crystalsky will be closer to £600 as opposed to £230 for the +. Now, if you could dual the Crystalsky from the + controller that would be neat!

I sort of agree, but theoretically you should get tighter integration with all components from the same manufacturer - providing that manufacturer has an equal commitment to each product. Sometimes tho, accessories are developed by the 'B' team and not necessarily subject to the same design quality control.
Also, I get the feeling that DJI are currently in a headlong rush to get as many new (and to be honest amazing!) products onto the market as fast as possible. The compromise for this is quality as almost any engineer will tell you.
I won't mind too much if there are some early wrinkles that need to be ironed out, providing that the support is forthcoming.
The P4P+ was clearly designed by the 'B' team, and not the 'A' team, as witnessed by two iOS updates already being released, while exactly none have been released for the custom Android super buggy P4P+! App becomes "nonresponsive" in flight, prompting you to close the app! :eek: The screen playback of 4K 60fps video, using the microSD card reader, is at only at half speed, with no way to speed it up! No .SDK files can be recorded! Terrible lag in the display during flight. Screen is way too cluttered with all the telemetry to be able to see anything without removing all of it.

FYI...if I had it to do all over again I would not have bought the +. Screen is too small, laggy and I truly do not notice that much of a difference in brightness when compared to flying my Mavic with iPhone 7+. I will be ordering an additional RC from DJI for $300+ and 4 week wait time.

Hmmm, now I am thinking of cancelling and re-ordering the straight P4P. There are 2 things stopping me:
  1. That means I would need to by two phablets (I need to get one already for the Mavic), and anything decently bright and fast (i.e. iPhone 7+) is going to set me back significantly more than £230.
  2. In some earlier posts, the P4P+ controller is referred to as Crystalsky. I realise that the real Crystalsky are standalone boxes, but if the smaller one is 5.5" and 1000cdm2 then isn't likely that it is the same display and app. as the P4P+ controller? It gives me a bit of confidence that the bugs will be fixed as basically the P4P+ and Crystalsky will have a common software platform.
Decisions, decisions!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart