Phantom 4 or Phantom 3 PRO

Reaction score
This may have been asked before, but i recently crashed my P3S into water and about to invest in another. I have been studying both models and seriously don't know which way to go, i love the stability of the P3P but think i should go to the latest model 4. Im not using this for anything other than recreational flying and filming. Any advise from members on this would be greatly appreciated. Im sure most of you that have the 4 have upgraded from one of the others in the P3 range.

I have a phantom 3 pro and it really took me a few flights to actually notice the difference. The p3p is a very stable and smooth flying machine. But flying both back to back it became obvious which was more superior (P4). Plus, I like the fact that I can pop it in sport mode on my flight home reaching speeds of over 50mph.

Besides the current bugs that dji needs to address on the P4, my only dislike is the way the P4 sounds. During flight it produces a obvious ringing noise. From the info I got from DJI and watching various YouTube videos, it's normal sound for the P4.

Either way, you can't go wrong with the P3 or P4.
But with the P3, you'll always have the P4 on the back of your mind. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I own both the Phantom 3 Professional and Phantom 4. I like both, but prefer the Phantom 4 since it comes packed with more features and it has some nice design improvements (like locking props).

There is a large price difference, so I'd recommend you get the Phantom 3 Professional if it's closer to your ideal budget. Flight-wise and photo/video wise, you'll see very similar results. If you have no budget holding you back though, then the Phantom 4 is the way to go.

I am new to phantoms so I bought the P4.
If I already had a P3 with spare batteries, props, accessories etc. I probably wouldn't switch to the P4 and buy all that stuff again...

The new features aren't that useful anyways: - Obstacle avoidance for example. It would make much more sense to put those sensors on the sides, so you can safely orbit around objects. Having the sensors only in the front, where you anyways have the live steam of the camera hardly adds any safety benefit.
- More optical flow and sonar stuff... who flies indoors anyways.
- Or the improved lens that has less distortions. Thats a one click thing to fix in postprocessing. They should have rather improved the camera sensor (which is still the same as in P3) because thats the real bottleneck of image quality.
- As for the unreliable, purely software-based gimmicks like active track, they work just as well on the P3 with third party apps.
- or the sports mode. If you want to fly fast and acrobatic you can buy a P3 and still have enough money left to get a decent racing quadcopter. And that one you can also crash without losing 1500$..

man, thinking about it... why did I even buy the P4...

Reactions: Dronego
The new features aren't that useful anyways
Software gimics aside -- let's not forget the great design improvements:
  • Stronger shell (seems to be less cracking so far anyhow)
  • Locking props
  • Dual ultrasonic sensors (for better VPS performance)
  • Gimbal lock is easier to attach (and it always stays attached)
  • Dual IMU/compass (for redundancy)
The visual design improvements are very hard to appreciate if you've never owner a Phantom 3.

This may have been asked before, but i recently crashed my P3S into water and about to invest in another. I have been studying both models and seriously don't know which way to go, i love the stability of the P3P but think i should go to the latest model 4. Im not using this for anything other than recreational flying and filming. Any advise from members on this would be greatly appreciated. Im sure most of you that have the 4 have upgraded from one of the others in the P3 range.
New models usually have improvements and new features but new shortcomings too but since you are thinking to decide for the right choice , I would suggest you to go for P3P. Your next upgrade could be P5

Reactions: Wibble
Kind of asking if you should buy a Ford or a Chevy.

There are a _ton_ of variables that come into play that we don't know about. How do you feel about spending $1400 for a drone vs $1000? Since you had a P3, what features on the P4 do you think you'd like/use? For example, I have no need what so ever to increase speed from 30mph to 50mph. Do you feel the value of the latest drone is of value? How do you mainly use the Phantom? The list goes on and on. I think what the P4 offers should be easy for anyone to see, especially if they have experience with the Phantom line.

KI think what the P4 offers should be easy for anyone to see, especially if they have experience with the Phantom line.
It's easiest to see when you see/hold/fly a Phantom 4 in person. I have a feeling we're going to have many "wait for the P5" opinions coming from people who don't own both a Phantom 3 and a Phantom 4.

Kind of asking if you should buy a Ford or a Chevy.

There are a _ton_ of variables that come into play that we don't know about. How do you feel about spending $1400 for a drone vs $1000? Since you had a P3, what features on the P4 do you think you'd like/use? For example, I have no need what so ever to increase speed from 30mph to 50mph. Do you feel the value of the latest drone is of value? How do you mainly use the Phantom? The list goes on and on. I think what the P4 offers should be easy for anyone to see, especially if they have experience with the Phantom line.

Amazon have them at $1300 now, even cheaper on eBay.

Amazon have them at $1300 now
I only recommend buying Phantoms on Amazon from sellers that are authorized DJI dealers or deals that are being fulfilled by Amazon. $1,339 is currently the best deal on Amazon with those points in mind. I have a list of those recommended sellers here.

I'm my own sample size but, I bought P3P in March. It was newer model of P3P. Was not real aggressive with it. Very protective. No abuse, crashes, etc. maybe 20 flights total. Found stress crack at end of May. Amazon took it back 3 weeks past return date and issued full refund. To lower the probability of encountering another stress crack I bought the P4 because of the alleged better quality of the frame. I'm hoping for better results. Time will tell. It's a tough call. If I were buying a P3P again, I'd buy the plates to add support below each motor. $20 including shipping. But, again, some will say to leave well enough alone.... So there you go, even more confusion!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

...They should have rather improved the camera sensor (which is still the same as in P3) because thats the real bottleneck of image quality...

I have wondered about this. Admittedly I'm an ignorant newb when it comes to video, but I noticed that--if I understand things correctly, which I may not--the higher resolutions and frame rates at which the P4 can capture video would require greater throughput than the 60Mbps maximum than the P4 system can handle. (60Mbps is stated in the manual.) If that's true, then wouldn't the result of trying to cram video of bit rate greater than 60Mbps through a 60Mbps pipe result in increased, perhaps excessive compression and quality degradation? I don't know. Just speculating. It makes me wonder if the higher resolutions and frame rates advertised are more hype than anything else. Anybody?

If your budget can take it I would go for the P4, I find it's a better build, the extras are just that extra protection OA can help but never depend on it. More protection for the gimbal is a big plus, tilt is good now I hear I have not tested it yet because the weather here has bean crap for the last week. The camera for me I find is more than I need. 4K is not an issue because I can't even play it on my equipment. Satelite tv is in 720p and that is good hd signal, I use 1080p on my P4 and the image is better than I can see even with my glasses, I also can share my videos with others in a smaller format and even have to reduce for internet stuff. P3 and 4 are both good birds, I was thinking the same 2 months ago about witch one should I get 3 or 4 and I am real happy that I got the 4.

Easy decision. If you still have several P3 batteries, backpack, charger, etc then the obvious no brainer is to stick with the P3 models. A P3P will provide the same flight and vid results that a P4 would. But if you're starting from scratch then consider the P4.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and your thoughts. I see there is some confusion as which way to go and I understand that everyone's situations differ. I will take a couple of days to digest what you all have given me, and let you know what I have decided to purchase. Happy flying!

Well most of you will be glad to know I bit the bullet and went the Phantom 4 with 2 extra batteries [emoji51] I'm nervous. Can't wait should arrive mid next week

Good choice. You're going to love it :)

Well most of you will be glad to know I bit the bullet and went the Phantom 4 with 2 extra batteries [emoji51] I'm nervous. Can't wait should arrive mid next week

You can't go wrong with your choice. Like many have said, if you had a stockpile of Phantom 3 batteries and accessories, then a P3P would've been the recommended route to take. The extra $$ you spent stings only for a bit, after flying your new bird, you'll never regret your decision. Best of luck!!

Definitely go for the DJI Phantom 4, just bought one a few weeks ago and as an ex-owner of the DJI Phantom standard it's a great improvement. The camera is so much better, better range and it's way faster. Also if you go with the Phantom 4 you are set for the coming years for sure!

I recommend buying it straight from DJI, right now there is a discount going on where you get two free extra battery!: Buy Phantom 4 | DJI Store

Stop referral spamming

Reactions: jogforfitness

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl