Phantom 4 flipped over, flew powered into ground from 200 feet!

Yes, very good point. Rapid descent could also cause loss of lateral stability (like creating your own updraft).

I've done it with a Phatom 2+ and watched my friend almost flip my Inspire 1 doing the same thing. It's not something you would know about by reading the manual. Really there should be a warning in the manual considering the general public is flying drones now.

Reactions: BenStein
If a phantom flips, I don't think it will easily right itself. I tipped a telephone wire at about 15 feet and it did not recover. Hit the ground, broke gimbal in 3 pieces, seam between upper and lower she'll separated, landing legs bent. I could not quickly shut off the motors via CSC where they continued to spin upside down grinding the hub tips flat.
Paid for gimbal repair but seemed to get a new or refurb one as the original camera body was gouged but the one I have is pristine. They missed the bearings on one of the motors starting to go, ended up replacing it myself instead of waiting another three weeks turnaround. I sent the broken props, they never sent new ones I asked for and they said they would include but sent the broken ones instead.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using PhantomPilots mobile app

On January 21, my Phantom 4 was at 419 feet. I started a descent normally it seemed until at about 200 feet it flipped over and proceeded straight to the ground very fast. I reacted giving full throttle up to halt the fall but not knowing the drone was inverted, it flew faster. It hit the ground hard and bounced. Upon arriving at the crash site, I found the drone laying on its top, propellers all broken but all lights on, the battery showing 3 green LED's with one blinking, ready for the next flight command! I video'd the site for record then took the drone inside, cleaned the mud off the top and attached new propellers. Powered it up and all seemed to work except the gimbal. The drone had hit the ground so hard that the gimbal mount or camera had dented the housing just above it. The camera worked fine, only the gimbal was a little stiff. I carried it outside, grabbed my iPhone to video the event and powered it up at idle. It seemed normal so I flew it up to about 3 feet and tried the yaw commands, all normal, then to about 10 feet and tried the forward, left and right and back stick commands and again normal. SO, to have a Phantom do a power dive from 200 feet and basically survive is awesome! The toughness of this craft is amazing. The top shell was slightly damaged on two of the arms but since the drone hit flat on its propellers, it apparently was not damaged too bad.
SO, I know everyone is wondering why the drone flipped? I am too? I sent the drone to DJI for repair with a request to review the flight logs to determine what happened. No response. I called support, promised an email explaining same, no results. Emailed support, got same promise, same response. Got on DJI Forum and posted for about a week and no one has had a good idea why the drone flipped and DJI rep promised to get the flight logs and advise, but still waiting. Also, no one has been able to tell me how it is possible to make a Phantom fly upside down! I paid for the repairs and had the drone repaired and it is on its way back here, set to arrive Thursday but without knowing why it flipped, I am afraid to fly it again.

Can anyone, help. I need to know how it is possible to flip? No, no prop, no motor, no anything failure noted. No bird strike, no tree strike, no wind gust, etc. No external conditions that could have caused it.

Anyone please! Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

no I absolutely do not doubt this is the root cause.

you had a crash one day
you then had a phantom do something they don't do ...

yet you do not think that first crash has anything to do with second crash only days later...

Keep in mind no one has any way to verify it was upside down flying!

good luck,

did I miss it or did you ever post the flight record from your device. much can be learned
Hey Kirk~thanks for posting your reply. The "crash" on November 25th was not really a crash. I decended into the side of a small tree and I think, broke three props. The drown did fall out of the tree to the ground but the amount of the fall was perhaps 3 to 4 feet on to leaf covered soft ground. The only damage was to the props. I replaced the props and promptly flew the Phantom 4 until January 21 when the real crash occurred. I have read many scenarios posted here where some have suggested a downdraft vortex created by the props descending. I too considered this but after watching a video where a Phantom was held UPSIDE DOWN and released and it recovered, righted itself and continued to hover from the same elevation of about 4 feet. This proves that the drone will not allow itself to fly upside down because it automatically corrects itself with its amazing construction. Had my drone flipped because of this downdraft problem, it would have had many times that needed to correct itself since I saw it descend from about 200 feet. I challenge you to hold your drone upside down and gently toss it away from your body and watch it recover before it hits the ground. Yeah, I know, I wouldn't do mine either but I have attempted to pull mine over to the 90 degrees position and it took a lot of force to move it from level. That one test convinced me that it was not from a downdraft. AND, the fact that I flew it perhaps 40 times between the incident with the tree and the flipover convinces me that the drone was in perfect flying condition.
Thanks again,
Jim
WA5TEF

How do you know it's a new one

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Well, it is probably not a new one upon reading the comments here. I really doubt that a new one would have the spring parts on each motor missing but it looks perfect in every way. Even the landing struts bottom rubber strips were new. There were no markings on inside the battery case where a battery might have been inserted. Again, there was not a blemish on it. The insides could be full of cockroaches and dirt but the outside is perfect.
Thanks for your posting.
Jim
WA5TEF

How do you know it's a new one

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Yep, no doubt it is a refurb. I do doubt they would have left off those parts in a factory. And, again they would not have just the aircraft sitting around without a remote controller. But, I mean, it is perfect outside. It may be junk inside but it really looks perfect.
Thanks for the comments.
Jim
WA5TEF

There is a pretty good Possibility that the was an updraft or the pressure in the air might have been a little bit low under aircraft on one side causing it to flip. It sometimes happens with smaller airplanes when they are about to come in on a landing behind a jet or a turbo prop powered plane. You can look up some videos of wing drops or wave turbulence. Different places but maybe a common cause for the flip.
Yep, but I dare you to try this-Take your drone out to a soft grassy field and fire it up,running at about half throttle UP and turn it upside down. First, it resists being turned, but upon getting it upside down, lightly toss it away from your body and see if it does not RIGHT ITSELF AND HOVER!

I can locate a video showing this being done several times all with the same result, the drone always recovers in about four feet. Mine was at least 200 feet when it flipped and had it actually been caused by a downdraft, wind gust, bird, or some other outside force, it would have had time many times over to recover. Mine did not.
Thanks for posting,
Jim
WA5TEF

One explanation might be that at least one propeller may have been damaged (bird strike perhaps) or perhaps it was cracked and broke off while it was still in the air flying normally. Then it could have flipped over and headed straight for the ground.

Seeing the damaged propellers might have led you to believe that the damaged to the propellers occurred when it hit the ground. Sounds like a possibility? I think so.

The question to ask yourself is........ did I check each propeller before I sent the quad aloft?

Bud
Yep, I thought of that also. I have a video showing the crash just seconds after it occurred. It clearly shows the broken props with all pieces accounted for. Two of the props were only bent downward, (actually upward) and the other two broken at the hub. Had there been a bird strike and caused a propeller to brake, the drone could not have flown straight down and not spiral, with the off center lift. Also, the broken propeller would have landed somewhere else rather than at the crash site. The Phantom was all in one piece at the time it hit the ground!

Thanks for your posting and comments.
Jim
WA5TEF

Hi Jim..
I hope you get a satisfactory response from DJI soon. We'll be looking for your updates.
You should post some of your pix from the P4 on your QRZ.com page too.
Terry / K4KID
Hey Terry, I appreciate your comments. I actually have not gotten around to posting any photos even to this forum but I really need to. I am so outdone with DJI and their analysis of my flight records that I have not done much of anything except research and read about Phantoms and other forums. There are several good ones out there and they all offer about the same analysis. It is probably impossible for a Phantom in perfect condition, to flip over and crash. Indeed if one flips over, it will right itself within a few feet and recover. I think I have posted the video link on this forum, if not, I will. It clearly shows how a Phantom will do that. Mine was some 200 feet when I saw it coming down fast. It was flying straight down, something that would not be possible had there been a prop broken or missing. It landed perfectly flat on the ground which is probably what lessened the damage to the drone. And now DJI reports, after several weeks of waiting, that they can find no flight data information on the drone!!! Yeah right!

Anyway, back to my work, good luck and 73.
Jim

WA5TEF

I had a similar problem with my P4. I flew it 50 times using DJI GO without incident until I fell for the prompt that told me to update to DJI GO4. I upgraded the app and took a ten minute flight to confirm that everything was functioning. I landed, got out my manual and took off, hovering about 8', while I reviewed the manual for my next commands. The controller was on a table without anybody near it. After 3 or 4 minutes, my P4 inverted and drove itself into the ground where it gyrated around on the tops of the propellers until it finally shut itself off. It would not respond to the emergency shutoff procedure.
I called DJI Support and they told me not to use the new program because they were having issues with it and go back to DJI Go.
I was afraid to fly the drone so I sent it back to Support for analysis. I haven't heard anything back yet.
Wow, it does sound similar. I have not flown with DJI GO since I bought Litchi. I like its features much better and I think I get better video downlink. I was using Litchi and had the recorder going the day of the crash but I stopped it to make one photograph and since I was going to quit for the day, I started the descent without switching on the recorder. Therefore no record exist of the crash, either from the video or from the flight records. All this is very strange but I do know that a Phantom if flipped over and left alone will right itself almost immediately.

Thanks for your comments,
Jim
WA5TEF

Super sorry for the trouble and drama. We all fear it, some of us have also experienced a share of it.

Apart from electronic or software malfunction, the main things that could cause a flip are a strong updraft or a propeller losing lift. A propeller can lose lift if 1) it's surface changes, say from being chipped, iced, gunked from striking a bug, or 2) from losing rotational velocity either due to something wrong with the motor or an object impeding it's rotation (such as striking an object) 3) or from becoming detached from the motor due to broken clip or plastic mount between the motor and the prop.

Not that this helps now, again, just dread this type of frustration you have gone through.
Thanks Ben, I appreciate your comments. I have relived the crash many times and thought of every possible scenario. Had the drone lost one prop, the descent would have been spiraling in three dimensions where mine came level and straight down. Had it lost two, it would have flipped over in the direction of the missing props and continued this action until it crashed. But then, had a software glitch occurred that somehow killed the stabilization system, whatever is used, and lost power to two props on the same side, it could have flipped the drone and when upside down, the GPS link would have been broken and the drone had no reference to know which way was up. Anyway, DJI will never admit it but it had to be a glitch, software error, or firmware upgrade that was not fully tested. I know that I will have a tough time proving my theory but I am not giving up. DJI owes me $239 refund. WHATJ! I paid for it before I had a cause of the crash????? Yes, I did, in order to get my drone fixed and not lose a month waiting for it.

Anyway, thanks for your comments,
Jim
WA5TEF

The simplest answer is prop wash from descending too quickly, straight down.
Thanks 007 for your comments. Lets think about it this way then. Had the drone been descending fast through its own downdraft and created a vortex ring of sorts and it started to invert, it would have first had to start its revolution over to one side. AND while the drone was flipping over, it was still generating thrust which when turned say a quarter way around, would have caused the drone to start powering its way out of the downdraft. And when say it was at 90 degrees over, it was powering its way straight out against the line of fall, and even at 135 degrees over, it would have gone way out of the down draft from power being thrusted away from the drone. Once clear of the down draft the drone would have automatically corrected its flight and gone level once again.

Someone please analysis this theory and post your thoughts here.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

I've never seen or heard of a quad inverting as a result of VRS - they generally just descend fast with no rate control. Additionally, while the P2 used to be somewhat prone to this, the P4 is much less likely to encounter it due to a redesign of the prop angles, better motors, and FC-limited descent rates. And if a Phantom does inadvertently invert then it will recover fast if it has all motors and props working. An orientation-stable, inverted descent with power is not really a credible scenario.

I've never seen or heard of a quad inverting as a result of VRS - they generally just descend fast with no rate control. Additionally, while the P2 used to be somewhat prone to this, the P4 is much less likely to encounter it due to a redesign of the prop angles, better motors, and FC-limited descent rates. And if a Phantom does inadvertently invert then it will recover fast if it has all motors and props working. An orientation-stable, inverted descent with power is not really a credible scenario.
Hey SAR104, thanks for posting. Perhaps you could explain to DJI then how this could happen. DJI says that there are no flight records available ant to me that says "Warranty issue". I hope you have read enough of my posts outlining what happened so I won't post it again for the 40th time. I see you are an experienced flyer (since 2014) so you should know what you are talking about. Please review these posts and comments and let me know what you think. I have had many suggestions as to what might have happened but I have found none of them match the actual conditions. Some fresh ideas would really be helpful!

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Hey SAR104, thanks for posting. Perhaps you could explain to DJI then how this could happen. DJI says that there are no flight records available ant to me that says "Warranty issue". I hope you have read enough of my posts outlining what happened so I won't post it again for the 40th time. I see you are an experienced flyer (since 2014) so you should know what you are talking about. Please review these posts and comments and let me know what you think. I have had many suggestions as to what might have happened but I have found none of them match the actual conditions. Some fresh ideas would really be helpful!

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
OH Yes, I am fairly new at this and don't know all the terminology so what the heck is a VRS and an FC limited descent?
Thanks,
Jim

Guys, you cannot put the P4 into Vortex Ring State (VRS). It will not descend fast enough under the max descent speed. By design. Firmware Control (FC) will not allow it! :cool:

Reactions: funnyman850
Guys, you cannot put the P4 into Vortex Ring State (VRS). It will not descend fast enough under the max descent speed. By design. Firmware Control (FC) will not allow it! :cool:
Agree. I doubt anyone of us goes any slower than max speed full stick when going up and down to take a quick 400 foot image or two per the OP. P4s would be dropping out of the sky daily if that were the case.

Anyway, DJI will never admit it but it had to be a glitch, software error, or firmware upgrade that was not fully tested. I know that I will have a tough time proving my theory but I am not giving up.
Jim, honestly I'd let this go and stop getting wound up over it. I can tell it's not money you are worried about, you just want to know why it crashed, but at this point you won't get an answer. 100,000s of P4s are flying and not falling out of the sky, I hope your replacement never does and you just have fun with it :)

My grandson had a similar thing happen to him with a P3S. But this time, it was entirely his fault. He was a beginner pilot at the time. He was told to never move the control sticks down and together at the same time. It will shut the engines off. He didn't believe it and wanted to see what would happen. So he took off and hovered at 3 feet. Then moved the sticks as we told him not to do. I never laughed so hard in my life. That darn drone flipped over on its back from 3 feet, hit the concrete hard, and took off sliding down the street on its props. Up-side-down no less. When he retrieved it, the prop hubs were worn down the blades. But the drone was not otherwise hurt in any way. He still flies it today, but he will never do that again.
I've learned from posts not to use CSC to cut the motors even on the ground as it could briefly receive that move as normal commands and tip over. Then I learned throttling down and holding while on the ground will power down. Much safer. I use CSC to power up sometimes though

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Grandpa Don
The term CSC is what confuses P4 and above owners when they read the internet because prior to P4s the cut off command was a CSC. On a P4 stopping the motors is left stick down and in and RTH. There is no "combined stick" anything...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka