Phantom 4 flipped over, flew powered into ground from 200 feet!

The simple fact remains
A phantom is not supposed to be able to go upside down NO MATTER WHAT , so that alone says it's a defect in the aircraft and secondly we are not talking about a RC plane here , this bird is advertised as being autonomous when it comes to keeping itself in the sky , it was advertised as being "foolproof" and this comes down to false advertising , if it was me I would have DJI's nuts in my pocket by now , i would definitely go to court .
a toyota comes out with an airbag fault and they recall millions of cars , I think DJI should be held accountable just like any other manufacturer , imagine a phantom doing that and accidentally diving into a group of people

Also, I might add. I tried to review the flight logs on my iPad and they mysteriously stopped recording on November 27th and picked up again January 19th. The crash was January 21st. There are recordings of my tests and test flights after the crash but no record of the actual event. Can anyone suggest where these might be saved and/or why they were not recorded? I still had over 20 GB available on the SD card.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
I hear more and more of drones doing crazy things when someone turns on a microwave, and tower signal interference. For that same reason when I do real estate I tell people to leave the house so that someone will not accidentally turn on the microwave.

Jim,
What is the status of this? Have you received the parts and flown the new bird? Hope all turns out OK
Umatill, thanks for the posting. I think I post on here that my "new" Phantom 4 was shipped to me without the metal spring clips that provide tension to the propellers to keep them secure. Well, one has to do physical labor with tiny screws to take them off so I really wonder why they were missing in the first place. But, mine did not have them. I called DJI as soon as I got it unpacked and found the missing pieces. This guy I talked with, asked me the same questions for ten minutes, over and over. I gave the same answers for ten minutes, again and again. I reckon he thought if he asked enough, I would admit that they were there???? Anyway, he promised to MAIL them, snail mail, not over night or next day air, etc. Since it was their screwup, again, but NO, mail only. So I figure it will take another week to get them from California so I know this ham radio operator who has a P4 and a P4P and he loaned me the springs off his P4 to get me flying again. No thanks to DJI in this. And as of today, March 2, 2017, I still have not received these. I figured as much and I really don't expect to get them since it has already been about three weeks. I got the Phantom on February 9th, called that night and got lied to immediately so go figure. DJI Support rides again!
Anyway, thanks to my buddy, my new Phantom is flying as advertised though I still have not heard from DJI as to why my first one flipped and crashed?????
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Silver Surer, yeah on a drone flipping. Right after I got my Phantom, I was still trying to learn to fly it and I managed to get it tangled up in one of my wire antennas. It was perhaps ten feet off the ground and it literally wound itself up in the antenna and stayed there for perhaps 3 or 4 seconds, then it broke free and fell a couple of feet and continued on to get tangled in it again! And again, it fell free and righted itself and flew on, all with no damage, even to the propellers! I did not think much about it at the time but it goes to prove that you cannot make one of them go inverted unless something bad happens to them. I figure that DJI knows this but yet they resist admitting it. I am not giving up on them yet. I have some ideas to try next week and might get some replies then.

So, going by your screen name, are you a surfer? I always thought I would like to try that but living 300 miles from the coast, not much chance here. I live in northeastern Mississippi, just north of Tupelo. We do have the famous Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway nearby with good fishing and skiing but no surf.

Take care and thanks for the post.
Jim
WA5TEF

It seems the P4 is more stable than a P3. Three my P3A has flipped after encountering an obstruction. Twice at a low height hitting a chain fence or wall, once at about 10 - 15' hitting a telephone wire on ascent.

I hear more and more of drones doing crazy things when someone turns on a microwave, and tower signal interference. For that same reason when I do real estate I tell people to leave the house so that someone will not accidentally turn on the microwave.
What about the neighbours microwave ovens? You may be unnecessarily anxious here- a properly functioning oven is very well shielded. The cordless phones, wifi routers, baby monitors and other equipment will likely prove to cause more issues and even then you probably won't have a problem.

WOW! I hate to deal with dishonest people, corporations, or liars! I hope your postings that I have read here, and on four other forums are incorrect. I will not take a substituted drone if they try to switch it on me. That will really stir up some "stuff". Thanks for the warnings!
Jim
WA5TEF
Two questions:
1. If you applied full power during the descent because you did not realize that it had flipped over, how can you be so sure that it actually flipped at 200' if you didn't see it at the time? Given the slight amount of damage, is it possible that it hit the ground, bounced, and then flipped?
2. Surely you misread the altitude when you said it was at 419'. It must have been at 400' or below, right?

PA32R, thanks for your inquiry!
1. I applied full power to try to stop the fall, not knowing it was inverted. I was within maybe ten feet of the takeoff and crash site, having only taken the drone to maximum altitude to snap one photograph of my house and lake. My readout on altitude runs about 25 feet in error all the time so I assume it was under 400 feet but I have no way to know for sure. I had just snapped the picture at the maximum altitude and started the descent and a few seconds later, the drone suddenly accelerated its downward travel. I was close enough to tell it was inverted after I realized that full power was not working. I saw the drone hit in the soft dirt and bounce about a foot high, then come to rest still in the upside down position,. The propellers were all bent and broken in this direction and the camera had hit the bottom of the gray area so hard that it dented the material. It is a perfect match with the camera ring, the part that surrounds the lens. The ground was soft because we had received 1.57 inches of rainfall the previous day and the crash site was my front yard, with grass and leaves serving as padding I suppose. Anyway, the drone did not have a soft landing giving the dent the camera caused. I luckily managed to make a video of this dent and camera relation along with a video of the drone some 15 seconds after the crash. The video shows all lights on, the battery with 3 LED's lit and one blinking and the drone waiting on its next command. On the cell phone video, one can hear the clicking of the data transmitter still functioning! In fact, I cleaned the mud out of one of the motors and installed 4 new props and flew it about 30 minutes after the crash. Had the gimbal not been jammed, I would not have sent it to DJI as the only other damage was slight dents in two of the arms that support the motors. AND, had it hit the ground right side up, as you indicated might have happened, the propellers would not have been damaged in the direction of fall and the camera and gimble would have been broken off and the landing strutts warped or broken off. None of this occurred! The entire brunt of the crash was to the top of the drone, meaning that it was upside down!

2. Like I said, the altitude error is and has always been off by 20 to 30 feet except at very low heights. No amount of calibration had ever corrected it so I quit trying, knowing DJI's history of service. My maximum altitude in Litchi was set to 122 meters, which I believe is very near 400 feet and giving the builtin error, I stand by my statement.

SO, any ideas why the Phantom 4 flipped over? Nope, and neither has anyone else on any of the 4 forums either. Of course, it is always a bird strike, or a missing propeller, or a gust of wind, or a UFO, etc. But as you probably know, you can manually flip a Phantom over at say 6 feet altitude and let it go and it will not crash into the ground. It will quickly right itself and hover at about the same altitude you released it at. If a prop had come loose, the drone would not have made a perfect pancake landing but instead would have been spinning out of control in all 3 axis. Same with the gust of wind, it would have immediately corrected its attitude and continued to fly. As far as the UFO, well you got me there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Chris, wow, I don't see how I missed your post! So let me get this straight. You are saying that one can take a Phantom 4 up to altitude and somehow use only the control sticks, make the drone "flip"? I have asked and asked on this forum and others for anyone to supply me with this information. So, if you know how you can flip a Phantom 4, please post it here. If not, don't suggest that I know how, much less flip my own drone! Personally I can't see why anyone would take a $1,100 aircraft up and try anything that might cause damage! Maybe you have several to play around with but I only have this one and I am not about take any chances with it.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
Only just seen this and yes of course a p4 can be flipped in mid air by doing a CSC it will flip and fall upside down.. then csc again and it will stratup and fight the fall then hover ;)
When you say yours was falling and you gave power to stop the fall? what makes you even think it was running at that point? if it lost power and motors stopped it would fall upside down and the props will spin with the wind passing through on the fall and you will here prop souds thinking it was still running, if i saw my baby falling upside down i would csc and see if it corrected.

Last edited:
Well for one thing, I was close enough to I could see the props turning and could hear it. I noticed the power increase when I applied full left stick forward so I know the drone was powered. When it hit ground I was maybe ten feet from the impact site. It hit on its props and bounced. The lights were still on and the battery showed 3 green and 1 flashing and when I made a cellphone video of the crash site almost immediately, all the above showed up. Also, the cellphone recorded the telementary sound which sounds like popping or clicking noise, at a regular interval. As I moved closer the noise grew louder. I did not know what a CSC was at that point and I never would have tried one anyway! I did have the left stick fully down to land the drone but when I saw it speeding faster, I gave it more throttle and not less. This sped up the fall of course, until I realized it was inverted.

So, exactly what are the stick commands, or CSC that will invert the drone? I assume it has to include one to power it down first. On every bit of information I have uncovered, shows that a Phantom will immediately right itself should it become inverted for any reason, other than internal failure. As I already posted elsewhere, when I first got the Phantom, I was flying it near one of my antennas in which it became entangled. It hung thee for maybe 3 or 4 seconds then broke free and immediately corrected its attitude and hovered in place. They are very stable and almost impossible to crash.

Thanks for your posting, but I really would like to find out what the stick commands are to make a Phantom flip?
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor