Phantom 3 STANDARD antenna upgrade

Yes I agree...location (and interference is a HUGE factor-as is weather to some degree). I can get double the range if I just go out to a field vs. near my neighborhood.

However, SpringDink said he tried the SAME locations, same Mods but just different devices and got significantly longer range. That's what makes no sense. I'll try to find the quote...it was post #569 in this thread.

"Update:
I swapped the Samsung S5 Active for an Nvidia Shield tablet and it seems to have a more reliable connection. On my last video I flew 4800' and today I got 8100'. I still has 5 bars but it lost connection shortly after the screenshot."

Also, read post #584: Phantom 3 STANDARD antenna upgrade | Page 30 | DJI Phantom Forum

SpringDink...was the 4800' vs. 8100' in fact the same route/location as well as the other one you mentioned?

Reactions: dirkclod
Yes I agree...location (and interference is a HUGE factor-as is weather to some degree). I can get double the range if I just go out to a field vs. near my neighborhood.

However, SpringDink said he tried the SAME locations, same Mods but just different devices and got significantly longer range. That's what makes no sense. I'll try to find the quote...it was post #569 in this thread.

"Update:
I swapped the Samsung S5 Active for an Nvidia Shield tablet and it seems to have a more reliable connection. On my last video I flew 4800' and today I got 8100'. I still has 5 bars but it lost connection shortly after the screenshot."
That is strange Tanger and don't make no sense to me but that's not nothing unusual :)

Ya...if it were like 1000-1500' difference even that could be down to weather, but 3300'? I think not, unless we don't have all the right facts. :)

Ya...if it were like 1000-1500' difference even that could be down to weather, but 3300'? I think not, unless we don't have all the right facts. :)
Well ..ya know that never happens here . Getting the facts right ;) lol
You really don't know with this stuff till you try it .You know :)

Hello Everyone,

New to the forum here. Last night I installed a ITE-DBS01_v.1 and took my P3S out this morning for a test flight. At 400' elevation in a wide open area, I was only able to get 3,933' distance. Definitely not "Triple Your Flight Distance". I've read this thread start to finish and it's quite a lot to absorb, but what I gather is that upgraded cables may be my next step. It just puzzles me why the manufacturer would risk the product's reputation over saving a few dollars on inferior stock cables. I do have a skygreat gimbal guard installed. I'm not sure if that would negatively affect my range. Anyhow, any input would be greatly appreciated.

2016_01_20 ITelite mod.JPG

2016_01_20 itelite flight.jpg

As far as the debate goes on the DBS antennae mod goes I may be able to provide real world insight

My house is set where the closest neighbor is about a quarter mile away. I live with hills and valleys around me.i can fly from my house and loose line of sight real quick.

If I go to the south end of my pasture I can fly where I am in a remote located with the nearest wifi signal is a mile plus away. If I fly south I can't see any form of civilization for close to 30 miles.

Location is key on the phantom 3 standard with or without the DBS panel.
I can do 3 miles+ with just the DBS panel if I fly on the south end of my pasture and away from civilization.
At the house I am hard pressed to do three quarters of a mile since I have hills, valleys and houses a quarter mile away.

3+ with just panel is great :) Had to add birdsides to my Standard to get that . I fly in a remote spot also and is nice .
Nothing but mud , trees and creeks .

As far as the debate goes on the DBS antennae mod goes I may be able to provide real world insight

My house is set where the closest neighbor is about a quarter mile away. I live with hills and valleys around me.i can fly from my house and loose line of sight real quick.

If I go to the south end of my pasture I can fly where I am in a remote located with the nearest wifi signal is a mile plus away. If I fly south I can't see any form of civilization for close to 30 miles.

Location is key on the phantom 3 standard with or without the DBS panel.
I can do 3 miles+ with just the DBS panel if I fly on the south end of my pasture and away from civilization.
At the house I am hard pressed to do three quarters of a mile since I have hills, valleys and houses a quarter mile away.
What kind of antennas are you using on the Quad itself? I need the option for this type of range. :)

Reactions: dirkclod
What kind of antennas are you using on the Quad itself? I need the option for this type of range. :)
None
The point of my post is location is key.
I can go to town and barely get a quarter mile with a stock phantom 3 standard with a DBS panel
I can go back to my pasture which is very remote and get 3+ miles

image.jpeg

Here I am at a more than a mile and not trying to point the antenna and have almost full signal.
If I go to town, I have to make sure I am aiming right and struggle to get any distance, and I can't get a mile in town

I'm planning on going balls to the wall next week.
P3 standard
2.4 and 5.8 Remote amps and ITelite panel
Dipoles on the bird
2 1600 batteries on the bird also

When I fly in town I'm surrounded by houses and subdivisions
That's what my last Log Shot shows . Is over west side of town . Lots of interference . I guess some just work differently then others .

I'm planning on going balls to the wall next week.
P3 standard
2.4 and 5.8 Remote amps and ITelite panel
Dipoles on the bird
2 1600 batteries on the bird also
That be bad :)

That be bad :)
Dirkclod, I noticed you talked about putting dipoles on your phantom. Can you explain the purpose of this and how you did it, or if you already talked about it somewhere in this thread just tell me where. Interested in learning more and seeing what improvement you got from that mod, and what you actually had to change on the phantom itself to do this. Thanks for your help! Would have have never had the confidence to get the ITELITE on my P3S if it wasn't for this forum!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures