Phantom 3 STANDARD antenna upgrade

Whatever....
ya dont say.gif

How did it go Dataa ?
Sounds like your more anxious than me. I have to get through my work day before I can get started and that's if the lazy postal person doesn't just leave a delivery attempted tag instead of bringing my package to the door. They do that allot. Even if it's no signature required. Makes me so mad. But my "lab" is all set up just have to unbox hook it up mount it "depending how much modification is required to the bracket" then do a test. So far the rain is holding off so may get an outdoor test too fingers and toes crossed.

Reactions: dirkclod
Sounds like your more anxious than me. I have to get through my work day before I can get started and that's if the lazy postal person doesn't just leave a delivery attempted tag instead of bringing my package to the door. They do that allot. Even if it's no signature required. Makes me so mad. But my "lab" is all set up just have to unbox hook it up mount it "depending how much modification is required to the bracket" then do a test. So far the rain is holding off so may get an outdoor test too fingers and toes crossed.
Guess I am Data :) What I see with your results is gonna tell me which way to go . ;)
I just thought after ya posted those pic's for us you was a working with it and wondered .:)

Guess I am Data :) What I see with your results is gonna tell me which way to go . ;)
I just thought after ya posted those pic's for us you was a working with it and wondered .:)
No just was getting swamped with PM's to let them see inside so I decided to satisfy their need and to let my inbox cool down.

No just was getting swamped with PM's to let them see inside so I decided to satisfy their need and to let my inbox cool down.
Hear ya :)

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I appear to have a faulty antenna/aerial possible broken or dry joint. How would I remedy this is it a simple case of opening and re-terminating the joint. As currently my drone will go no higher than 30m without the RTH kicking in.
image.jpg

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I appear to have a faulty antenna/aerial possible broken or dry joint. How would I remedy this is it a simple case of opening and re-terminating the joint. As currently my drone will go no higher than 30m without the RTH kicking in. View attachment 28878
Carefully remove the silicone from the connector and disconnect it. Look inside if the silicone has leaked inside the connector remove it carefully with a pin or fine point tweezers. And snap it back on "very gently" and try it. That silicone seems to leak into every nook and cranny and may be blocking the connection. Just an idea.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I appear to have a faulty antenna/aerial possible broken or dry joint. How would I remedy this is it a simple case of opening and re-terminating the joint. As currently my drone will go no higher than 30m without the RTH kicking in. View attachment 28878
My experience with distance limits. Way out away from all sources of interference I have had 162m max altitude. And 4385m distance. Not too bad stock

Thank you for your repies, I will attempt to remove the silicone tomorrow. Is it just a case of popping the wire out, cleaning the UFL crimp (if clogged) and re-inserting the wire?.
Is there any need to strip more of the wire for a better connection. Also can you apply more crimp to the crimp if that makes sense. With a little pressure around the entry.

Have you verified it's not a transmission issue?

The connection/connector in the photo is not likely the cause. It looks perfect.

It is extremely unlikely that the application of the silicone, or similar material, to the PCB has resulted in loss of connection at that interface.

Why do you suspect such?

The connection/connector in the photo is not likely the cause. It looks perfect.

It is extremely unlikely that the application of the silicone, or similar material, to the PCB has resulted in loss of connection at that interface.

Why do you suspect such?

I suspect it's the issue as I when I opened the Controller I found the aerial not to be connected at all, the picture I posted I merely placed the lead into the correct area without any cleaning or removing of the UFL crimp. I did attempt one flight after this just to see if it was any better, but for obvious reasons found it only made minimal improvement.

Good luck to you.
This repair takes patience and patience.

Why do you suspect such?
When I took mine off the connector was full of silicone. There was no connection issue but I could easily see there being a problem. Such a delicate connector to be fulllllll of sludge think of the surface areas in question. A grain of sand's worth of silicone in there could be enough for it to not make connection

When I took mine off the connector was full of silicone. There was no connection issue but I could easily see there being a problem. Such a delicate connector to be fulllllll of sludge think of the surface areas in question. A grain of sand's worth of silicone in there could be enough for it to not make connection

Won't argue with you.
But... In my RF experience, no way externally applied 'glue' is going to compromise the pre-established connection(s) of these connectors.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik