Phantom 3 STANDARD antenna upgrade

Won't argue with you.
But... In my RF experience, no way externally applied 'glue' is going to compromise the pre-established connection(s) of these connectors.
But as Anton said it was not connected when he opened the rc up. It could of just been partially connected or just merely resting on the connector when 'glue' was applied allowing it to run into areas it doesn't belong. Anton I would not mess with the heat shrink or try crimping it just clean throughly. Then re'attach make sure you feel the click when you gently press it on. If you don't plan on upgrading the antenna maybe a dob of hot glue to the wire in a spot easily removed will keep it from moving. But defiantly not required if it's clicked in properly

Just woke up... DJI website shows standard having follow me, etc. the coming soon has been removed.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440843703.413706.jpg

So did the DBS MOD !

Bracket needed modifying
Pig tails were too short but there's plenty of space in the RC so just located the connectors underneath. Tested indoors lol works great.
Tested with P3S inside the house walked down the block as long as the antenna faced the house I got about 1km away with out loosing signal. Now it's not pretty. But it's not horrible and I will probably modify things later to be cleaner. But at least you know this system works with the p3s. And I'm sure once itelite gets their hands on some P3S's they will make a clean and easy install package. Here's some pix
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440889294.489064.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440889318.029077.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440889341.308127.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440889354.897713.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440889366.270884.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440889390.382191.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440889406.507900.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440889449.695577.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440889483.895979.jpg
. It's not pretty. I know if I had more time I would of been able to make it "prettier". But I am extremely busy. And it's perfectly functional. The wires and connectors don't interfere with any internal workings. They don't impede my grip of the unit. Hardly adds any weight. Only think I will improve is the panel bracket. At a later time.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Look outside..stopped yet o_O.................
:)JK..Looks great Data and Thank you very much for sharing . I am sure your results will be good . The only thing I think might restrict it now is maybe the software but just don't know and you will see soon enough . You showed me what I needed to see !
Thank you again for taking the time to post that :)

Look outside..stopped yet o_O.................
:)JK..Looks great Data and Thank you very much for sharing . I am sure your results will be good . The only thing I think might restrict it now is maybe the software but just don't know and you will see soon enough . You showed me what I needed to see !
Thank you again for taking the time to post that :)
It's starting to clear up. Just going to finish up another project and I'll take off to the hills for a flight.

So took it too the hills but the west coast is under quite the storm system. I tried to put it up but wind gusts were reaching 20kmph. I'll try again tomorrow

Just signed up to comment here, This looks great! i got my P3S a few days ago and it is my first ever drone and already i want more range! Are those kits newbie friendly to install? when will it be available for purchase?

Took the P3S back out today as winds were around 3-5kmph.

So here it is
the max in wide open outdoors for me was 3959m distance.
Max Alt was maxed out at the limited 500m.
I'm very impressed and have accomplished what I set out to do. I get almost 4 km and that's all I will ever need. At those distances the direction of the panel is very important and takes a little getting use to keeping it in the sweet spot. But DBS MOD !!! It gets my 2 thumbs up. Can't make any videos atm my new puppy chewed my MacBook charger cord :(

Just signed up to comment here, This looks great! i got my P3S a few days ago and it is my first ever drone and already i want more range! Are those kits newbie friendly to install? when will it be available for purchase?
From what I've learned there's quite a few guys out there with products too up your distance. I'm a bit more tech savvy than the average joe so I slapped the DBS kit on my RC in about 30min. But most offer installation services if your worried about cracking it open and ripping out wires. The itelite people have good installation videos you can adopt to the P3S. Depends if you want to fly farther than you can see. For me that's not necessary. But there's allot of choices. More and more will start popping up soon too as the dev's of these products get their hands on P3S's and adapt their products. My test flight info can show you what a 100$ kit can do. And the more $ you have to sink into it seems the "sky's" the limit good luck and do your research before ordering anything to be sure it's what you will want out of your drone.

Took the P3S back out today as winds were around 3-5kmph.

So here it is
the max in wide open outdoors for me was 3959m distance.
Max Alt was maxed out at the limited 500m.
I'm very impressed and have accomplished what I set out to do. I get almost 4 km and that's all I will ever need. At those distances the direction of the panel is very important and takes a little getting use to keeping it in the sweet spot. But DBS MOD !!! It gets my 2 thumbs up. Can't make any videos atm my new puppy chewed my MacBook charger cord :(
Thank you for hanging with this thread and posting your results Data !

It's been allot of fun. The RC Is still very compact with the itelite antenna attached everything still fits great in my backpack. "After a tiny adjustment". It seems very sturdy and will hold up to my abuse. I just filmed about an hour of footage around one of our local lakes from distances I never thought possible with this P3S. Best of luck with everyone else's mods. Will be fun to see where all this goes.

From what I've learned there's quite a few guys out there with products too up your distance. I'm a bit more tech savvy than the average joe so I slapped the DBS kit on my RC in about 30min. But most offer installation services if your worried about cracking it open and ripping out wires. The itelite people have good installation videos you can adopt to the P3S. Depends if you want to fly farther than you can see. For me that's not necessary. But there's allot of choices. More and more will start popping up soon too as the dev's of these products get their hands on P3S's and adapt their products. My test flight info can show you what a 100$ kit can do. And the more $ you have to sink into it seems the "sky's" the limit good luck and do your research before ordering anything to be sure it's what you will want out of your drone.
I saw this vid
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
and it does not seem like something i can't do, just asking when will there be a mod designed for the P3S RC and a vid haha

DBS says he's got one coming and he will post something I'm sure . You can see from Data's picture's how he did it and
is very doable . I'm also sure DBS will come out with a set up just for the Standard .
Welcome to the forum .:)

One question:

Did you ever build antennas? Are you a radio operator?

If not......no logic in your argumentation....and yes i also modded my phones, car, CD, PC, you name it...

P.S - Reading more carefully what i did said, from a technical point of view of someone that understand about radio antennas, all clues and solutions are on my previous comment....sorry you couldn`t figure out..

Hi guys, the most simply way to react long distance is the "Wind surf" but, this passive booster antenna have some few weaknesses. 1. it is not designed to take over the antenna's length, 2nd booster is positioned incorrectly, better position are to place it 90 degree CCW. After this, you will Obtain boost away signal, but why bay it, you do it by DIY.

Find some empty plastic bottle, for shampoo etc, device it in two similar parts, which put glue inside of this two part, mount some metal foil (similar two foil covering to your New Year chickens :)).

Bring some paper of thickness in top and bottom, then fragile antennas shape, use a glue gun sample the parts together and up you gone! REMEMBER: metal foil must be smooth surface, if not you lose some of the boost effect. Even made so with DIY, and it provides an increase distance from about 2950 ft. >> 10500 ft.! Everything depends on your position (your AGL) and your bird altitude. Good luck! de'73 LA2LOA (sign for radio amateurs, if not known ;) )

Reactions: Mordor
... so they are trying to minimize effects of antenna upgrades.

Amps are going to be needed for this one.
If all goes well, soon the P3S will not need the above type bulky external upgrade to go extra distance. A simple and far more enabling enhancement will make for a very portable system and also access places that are impossible for all other drones to access.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers