Phantom 3 Pro Gimbal goes limp...

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

So, I'm pretty sure I got a killer deal even if i have to replace the camera. I found a Phantom 3 Advance with the Pro camera installed on it on Craigslist. The guy said he bought the camera off ebay and could never get it working; wanted to sell the whole thing for parts... (!!!!!!) got the whole thing, remote, battery and all for $250.

Once I got it home, I got it flying, everything works great. vision positioning, transmitter, everything is SOLID except the camera. When you turn it on, it goes through its boot up sequence, gimbal moves around, goes strait, and about 15 seconds later it goes limp... looks like he loaded the Pro firmware on the bird, which I confirmed with DJI, works. they said the advance and the pro camera are interchangeable, and that firmware should go with whatever camera is on it.

here's what I've done:
- Attempt to update firmware - no flashing light on camera at all... doesn't seem to even read the SD
-fittled with formatting etc of the SD card. confirmed with DJI it was all correct
- replaced the cables going from the P3A to the cameras... no fix
- hard reset/GMU calibration, etc. same issue
- Firmware update on the transmitter
- a whole lot of digging on forums and youtube

I've found a few people that had the same issue, but no posts on how it was fixed, besides "replaced cable, fixed issue" etc...

here's a video i posted of what it's doing:

My next move is to replace the ribbon cable of the camera/gimbal itself... has anyone else had this issue? was there another way it was fixed? I'll post a video so you guys can see whats going on. Id prefer not to drop $300 on another camera and see how I can salvage all of this!

Thanks in advance (Haaaa....)

Thanks for the reply! I've used a couple different types (64gb and 8gb, both with 80mbps transfer)
Are there "approved" versions of the SD card?
As long as it meets DJI specs, the Phantom will take plenty of different cards
Supported SD Card TypesMicro SD
Max capacity: 64 GB. Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required

But sometimes the camera will take a dislike to one particular card and appear to be dead like you described.
Removing the card or replacing it with another will bring the camera back to life.
I've seen this twice and heard of it a few times.

As long as it meets DJI specs, the Phantom will take plenty of different cards
Supported SD Card TypesMicro SD
Max capacity: 64 GB. Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required

But sometimes the camera will take a dislike to one particular card and appear to be dead like you described.
Removing the card or replacing it with another will bring the camera back to life.
I've seen this twice and heard of it a few times.

Sweet. I'll try it again later today... it unfortunately does this with or without an SD card. I'll make sure to get one that we know for a fact fits into those specs and see where we get.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Had the same issue ..... I ended up having to send my in due to bad firmware .... When you check the logs all looks good except there's one part in the file that tells you to send it in only dji can fix it ....... I Ts for weeks and read anything I could to try from me not having to .... Trust me stop right now box it up and send it in save yourself from more added frustration

Had the same issue ..... I ended up having to send my in due to bad firmware .... When you check the logs all looks good except there's one part in the file that tells you to send it in only dji can fix it ....... I Ts for weeks and read anything I could to try from me not having to .... Trust me stop right now box it up and send it in save yourself from more added frustration

Bummer. Not what I want to hear haha. How much did it cost you to get it fixed?

My worry is mine is an advance, guy I bought it from put the "pro" camera on it and loaded the pro firmware on it (confirmed with DJI this is completely fine) apparently the aircraft is the same, the only difference is the camera and charger. I'm just worried because I bought it used in going to get charged an arm and a leg to get this thing in the air...

Hi Nick - I'm in similar boat, bought a pre-loved phantom 3 Pro that is exhibiting all the same symptoms as you both described and in your video. I'm in Melbourne Australia so getting to DJI less easy I suspect. Wondering if you gained any view of what DJI did in their repair of yours that I may try before I too bite the bullet? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hi Nick - I'm in similar boat, bought a pre-loved phantom 3 Pro that is exhibiting all the same symptoms as you both described and in your video. I'm in Melbourne Australia so getting to DJI less easy I suspect. Wondering if you gained any view of what DJI did in their repair of yours that I may try before I too bite the bullet? Thanks

That was my original thought process... I'm waiting for them to ship mine back to me (hopefully today) but from what I've read from other people, it's a firmware error... there's no way we as consumers can re-flash the firmware or wipe the bird.

I tried everything I could that other people said would work, but in the end I gave in. The good news is they'll cover it, even though I bought pre owned, they still sent me a shipping label and are doing the repairs for free! I haven't dropped a dime on it (outside of replacing those cables on my own)

Thanks for reply Nick - very interested in your result once you get it back. Likewise I've spent a massive amount of time trying to resolve this. Guess I need to contact DJI as well. Thanks & good luck

Thanks for reply Nick - very interested in your result once you get it back. Likewise I've spent a massive amount of time trying to resolve this. Guess I need to contact DJI as well. Thanks & good luck

Yeah, I would contact them if you're having the same problems - it's a firmware issue... nothing else I did worked. I changed cables tried multiple versions of firmware, all sorts of calibrations, and any other crazy "tricks that worked" online.

According to the tracking number, I'll receive it tomorrow - I'll give an update and maybe a video once I've got it up in the air.

Also, it might be worth a look to see if they have a repair office in OZ. You'd think hey would. I'd love to see some of your shots of Melbourne when you get it working! Melbourne was amazing when I visited. I lived up north in Townsville for a couple years before coming back to the states!

UGH. So. I got the drone back today. so far so good! I haven't gotten it in the air, but i've powered it up and tested it. gimbal is responding/recording etc. I'm about to take it outside when I notice the gimbal says "Phantom ADV". I sent it in with the 3 Professional 4k gimbal. not the advanced gimbal. I'm pretty frustrated they didn't catch that. Apparently chat support is down, and they're closed in the US. yay... time to wait. again. I'll post an update when I get a response from DJI.

Feel your frustration, but sounds like they fixed it, just not like you expected. I'll need to check what they have here - getting restless to have fixed now as Spring is upon us..

Feel your frustration, but sounds like they fixed it, just not like you expected. I'll need to check what they have here - getting restless to have fixed now as Spring is upon us..

Yeah... I'm super happy that it's fixed, I think it was just an oversight; i'm talking to support now. It says on my shipping confirmation they were shipping a phantom 3 professional camera with it... so there is documented proof thats what it was supposed to be

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl