Phantom 3 new owner

Reaction score
Morning everyone

Just joined this forum as i purchased my first drone yesterday (Phantom 3 standard, was torn between the Spark, Mavic Air or the phantom 3) anyway i decided on the Phantom 3 in the end and so far im pretty happy!

I have only been brave enough to fly it in my back garden so far (and didnt go higher than my top floor windows...too scared!!) but it feels pretty responsive so i cant wait to get it out somewhere more open and hae a 'proper' go.

Ive downloaded the manual (scrutinising it as we speak) and ive watched plenty of videos on you tube so im hoping i will get the hang of it quickly.

We are going to the Outer Hebrides in October so im hoping to take it with me and be brave enough to fly it off cliffs and over the sea!

Any hints and tips for a learner would be fantastic!

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Morning everyone

Just joined this forum as i purchased my first drone yesterday (Phantom 3 standard, was torn between the Spark, Mavic Air or the phantom 3) anyway i decided on the Phantom 3 in the end and so far im pretty happy!

I have only been brave enough to fly it in my back garden so far (and didnt go higher than my top floor windows...too scared!!) but it feels pretty responsive so i cant wait to get it out somewhere more open and hae a 'proper' go.

Ive downloaded the manual (scrutinising it as we speak) and ive watched plenty of videos on you tube so im hoping i will get the hang of it quickly.

We are going to the Outer Hebrides in October so im hoping to take it with me and be brave enough to fly it off cliffs and over the sea!

Any hints and tips for a learner would be fantastic!
You will love your P3S. Loads of hints here and also YouTube. But you're off to a good start by reading the manual. It's more than a toy so to have a thorough understanding of the P3S will save you time and money.

*Greetings From Kansas*.......Knowing the orientation of the drone weather far out OR close in ...will sure allow you to feed in the proper control to keep it safe...fly careful and away from trees...power lines..and buildings and and practice practice practice landings and take offs...You will be just fine......and stay in touch with the PP forum....we are always willing to help with any question that you have.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Hi

Thanks so much, im trying to find somewhere to go with a bit of space where i will feel more comfortable taking the P3S higher and further as im a bit wary in my back garden.

Hoping by the end of this week i will have had a chance to have a really good go at it and get a feel of the controls.

Im highlighting and making notes in the manual so that i can find things quicker if i need to.

Looking forward to learning more and getting lots more tips from you guys.

You can read read read......But when you get to fly you can apply what you have learned and the Blood Pressure will surely GO down.....ask me why i know LOL...my first few flights....sounded just like yours Joolz.......where are you located in the World ?

Last edited:
Welcome to the thrill of owning a drone there are endless hours of pleasure ahead of you. Just keep practising as much as possible and check out youtube for extra help and tips. Just take your time and be careful

You can read read read......But when you get to fly you can apply what you have learned and the BP will surely GO down.....ask me why i know LOL...my first few flights....sounded just like yours Joolz.......where are you located in the World ?

Hi.

Im in the UK, Yorkshire.

To say Yorkshire is pretty green im struggling to think of places to go to practice.

Welcome to the thrill of owning a drone there are endless hours of pleasure ahead of you. Just keep practising as much as possible and check out youtube for extra help and tips. Just take your time and be careful

Thanks.

My daughter has asked if i can deliver her dinner to her friends house with the phantom!! She will be lucky ive been too busy playing with it to make her any.

Thanks.

My daughter has asked if i can deliver her dinner to her friends house with the phantom!! She will be lucky ive been too busy playing with it to make her any.
LOL at 30 miles per hour flying...That food would be Cold when it got their !

Reactions: Neon Euc
Welcome to the forum. I live in the desert of New Mexico - open space everywhere. I've only been to the UK twice, both times in and out of Manchestor to enjoy northern England, been through Yorkshire, then York, then north, a few days in the lake country, Cumbria, etc. Your part of England is beautiful this time of year, green rolling hills (covered with sheep), streams, lakes, ponds, forests, castles, picturesque villages, old farm houses, and the like. Shouldn't be that hard to find a football field sized open area to fly your drone. We all underestimate the scenery in our own back yards. So go out and explore, get comfortable flying your P3S, then concentrate on shooting video, then send some of those photos home (to this forum). We were all quite nervous for those first few flights. Avoid trees, power lines and the ocean until you get real comfortable maneuvering the drone in both GPS and ATTI. Good luck, good flying, and looking forward to some images from around Yorkshire.

Welcome to the forum. I live in the desert of New Mexico - open space everywhere. I've only been to the UK twice, both times in and out of Manchestor to enjoy northern England, been through Yorkshire, then York, then north, a few days in the lake country, Cumbria, etc. Your part of England is beautiful this time of year, green rolling hills (covered with sheep), streams, lakes, ponds, forests, castles, picturesque villages, old farm houses, and the like. Shouldn't be that hard to find a football field sized open area to fly your drone. We all underestimate the scenery in our own back yards. So go out and explore, get comfortable flying your P3S, then concentrate on shooting video, then send some of those photos home (to this forum). We were all quite nervous for those first few flights. Avoid trees, power lines and the ocean until you get real comfortable maneuvering the drone in both GPS and ATTI. Good luck, good flying, and looking forward to some images from around Yorkshire.

Hi

Yes i suppose i am being a bit negative about Yorkshire it is really beautiful in places!! definatly plenty of countryside!

Think im a bit worried about just getting out there into places that are more rural, ive been thinking of local parks and things to visit and maybe i need to think a little further afield and just get out into the Peak District or the Yorkshire Dales and go for it!!

As soon as i get any footage i will certainly be posting it.

I want to be confident for when i go on holiday as where we are going in the Hebrides has some seriously amazing scenery!

Think im a bit worried about just getting out there into places that are more rural, ive been thinking of local parks and things to visit and maybe i need to think a little further afield

You'll likely have to go for it to get any significant range. With the wi-fi connection on a P3S, obstacles and terrain play a very big part in what you'll get for distance. It's at a range disadvantage when compared to the other Phantom models, but that doesn't mean you can't get decent range out of it. Sometimes you just have to understand its limitations and work at it a bit harder. My best distance is almost always when flying my P3S over mostly open, sparsely populated, farmland out in the country with limited obstacles (trees, structures, etc). Under those conditions, I can get some truly amazing distance for a stock P3S. Many of us on this forum started out with (and many still own) a Phantom 3 Std. The P3S is a great entry level machine, and a proven performer. Good luck.

Last edited:
Welcome. This forum is by far the best the place to go for information and help. Only advice I can offer is always fly with a fully charged battery.make sure you have control set to Return To Home (RTH) along with a height setting higher then surroundings so not to impact anything on it’s return to home flight. Land when battery level gets to 50% especially on new battery. Since you’ll be flying line of sight, get in trouble let go of sticks. Drone will hover in place till you recompose. Enjoy flying[emoji4]

Reactions: LarBear360
I just picked up a used 3s today. Needs a little work, but hope to get it in the air by next week. I couldn't pass up the deal. They are a lot of fun. I had a fc40 and that thing was great. Quite a bit lighter weight than the 3s, but a great flier regardless. Hoping the 3s flies as good or better. Will love the camera, as my fc40 didn't have one.
good luck!

You are in a beautiful part of the country to capture some good video! I don’t live in the UK any longer but if I ever get back to visit I would love to drone Cumbria and the Lake District!

I just got my P3 about 2 months ago the best advice I can give you is be very aware of your surroundings and stay away from tree limbs Besides that just take your time and get to know your limitations.

try to do a lot of short flights and star feeling confortable with the P3. you can also use the simulator to feel more confortable also with it .... the key here is to read and watch a lot of the instructional material, and have a lot of flying time in order to enjoy it . have a great time.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart