Phantom 3 Crack Repairs

but would a the glue melts when the motors are hot?

It needs to be scorching hot to melt the glue. It may soften it at most. If you touch your motors and it burns you then I would consider using something else...
I've done the same mod to my P2 and I think the also acts as a vibration absorber and prevents further cracks. Think of the cracks as seams in a dress. It only needs 1 fray and it will continue to develop until the dress falls apart.

Reactions: Joao Carlos
It finally cracked. That arm has noticeably more flex to it. The other arms are all perfect.

2d2fceb9d902dbffb32239031635519c.jpg
0dbdedb97ef1e9ae9c382bbf23fb1148.jpg

Did I do this correctly? They are tight, but I didn't pull them like super tight... You guys sure they aren't going to make it worse? I don't have cracks yet, looking toward prevention.

From the other thread that a guy got a brand new one with them already there... It got me thinking.. Its either an 1)isolated mold issue ,aka could be a large percentage, but not all, 2) it's a defect that can happen to anyone, and 3) one or the above AND dji is sending out refurbished units as New and happened to miss this.. The reason this is a possibility is because if it's not a mold issue, but a defect causing a week flight stress point, and there's No way it could come brand new out of the box with this.

I've always had a hunch that dji is selling refurbished phantoms as new when my first brand new one came with some odd scratches and scuffs on the camera and gimbal, a loose gimbal wire, and just happened to have fatal software errors 3 flights in... Too many thinks to happen to a new unit for it to be just bad manufacturing. I think they are refurbing parts and then putting them back on main production line without proper testing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm not an engineer but the UAV Bits strong arm plates look like the best prevention as they spread the pressure from the screws across a wide area instead of in the weak screw recesses. They are a tad pricey at about $25 per set but they are less than a shell.

Tommy

Just a question for those with zip straps applied. Do you apply and tighten the straps before re-torquing the screws or tighten the screws first before tightening the straps?

BuckRogers:

Can you update us, how strong is your bird so far with Bondic?

Im waiting for a RMA from Germany, but if they install the old shell, im thinking in buy the new version, and "Bondic" it all...

Thank you!

BuckRogers:

Can you update us, how strong is your bird so far with Bondic?

Im waiting for a RMA from Germany, but if they install the old shell, im thinking in buy the new version, and "Bondic" it all...

Thank you!

Have you tried Bondic? You should buy some and use it for different stuff, get the feel of if you will. I did and have concluded it is pretty much good for absolutely nothing, absolutely nothing at all. There are so many very good adhesives available that are far superior to anything Bondic is capable of it would be insane to not use one of them instead.

It's hard to find bondic in my area (Indonesia), does a regular epoxy would repair the cracks?

So I was making a mold of my Phantom 3 in anticipation of having cracks to deal with. I used Instamorph to try to make a form of the arm and screw holes. Instamorph sticks like mad to the plastic of the Phantom. If I was to repair a crack not exposed to the heat of the motors, Instamorph would be my first choice. Structurally stronger than bondic and much better adhesion properties. From my experience I would heat the Phantom crack area to 140 degrees F, heat the instamorph to a cracking 150-160 degrees F. Put a nice patch on it and let it cool down. With a nice clean surface the bond should be extremely permanent and structurally stronger than the original Phantom's body.

Last edited:
Ouch.This DJI representative's response to our non-issue is rather interesting:
DJI Forum|Shell cracks-please vote!

"I just turned my P3P upside down. I fly this thing all the time and I am not gentle with it. I have the braking set at factory defaults and it is tame compared to my Inspire. I have no cracks at all. I have to smile when I see users that have never flown their P3's and say they have cracks. I looked at their photographs and enlarge them. I will be honest, I don't see any cracks. I have seen some casting imperfections. DJI has stated that they will replace the shells if there are cracks in them. I am not denying that there have been some units with cracks around the screws. We don't know the exact cause and are still investigating. Understand, I can point to many more users that have stated no cracks vs those that are having the issue. I know of no other craft that users take out magnifying glasses to examine them."
Yes this is how they are they have an aggressive response policy to anything negative that is posted publicly. They operate differently from how European companies do because its a Chinese company. As a customer it just frustrates me because they do have the BEST product out there and best value for money BUT their coms attitude towards their customers it unheard of and the WORST for western standards. I wont be surprised if after writing this i will have a DJI fun boy or an incognito DJI employee on my back... if they only understood how to treat their customers... by the way they block people from their fora (forums) without any warning if one expresses criticism. Appilogies for going off topic.
Great glue work and craftmanship on the orignal post bravo!

Reactions: hola hey
wait a minute. You have a prospective buyer that has fears of spending his money on manufacturing defects. Then you call him a troll because he doesn't own one. Dismiss him because he doesn't own one and then tell him that it is because of people like him that other people won't post on this forum.

Be dismissive of his concern and tell him to go buy one before you will give him the time a day and try to understand him. hmmm....what kind of sales is that? Are you not here to win people to your product?

Instead, you made him look like a child and called him a troll because he is "trollling"

I think you maybe you need another vacation and spend more time with your family, because your attitude stinks.....and wishing him to have a wonderful day in that way is condescending

You owe him an apology
Hear hear!

Reactions: hola hey
According to some others, there are 'no issues, design faults'. I beg to differ, there is and hence the introduction of the new motors, enhanced shells.

Well Good news:

After received my "new" supposedly P3A from Germany, not only they keep the top old shell, but they also install a new one under, but the old, defective, shell and not the new model on X...

Also, one of the screws, we can see the shape of crack to appear on the same place and arm, that was the reason to send it to repair.....just love this movie ...

Already make my post on official fórum:

DJI Forum|Shell cracks-please vote!

Lets keep this talk?

According to some others, there are 'no issues, design faults'. I beg to differ, there is and hence the introduction of the new motors, enhanced shells.

The introduction of upgrades and enhancements doesn't necessarily mean the assumption that something is "faulty" or wrong with an object by the manufacturer, be it a drone or a TV set or a car. Parts of appliances are constantly being modified and updated throughout a generation's lifecycle. It's just part of industrial process. Sometimes it's evident (in the case of the shell and the motors), others it's hidden and we don't even know about.

Also, there is no positive, absolute and undeniable correlation of cause and effect here. Shells are cracking despite being X or not-X, and with motors both old and new. P3P, A and S alike. And we don't know for sure (I mean 100% here too) the actual percentage of shells cracking X not cracking, so we can't really tell it's a "P3 issue" - except of course for owners of problematic units.

The introduction of upgrades and enhancements doesn't necessarily mean the assumption that something is "faulty" or wrong with an object by the manufacturer, be it a drone or a TV set or a car. Parts of appliances are constantly being modified and updated throughout a generation's lifecycle. It's just part of industrial process. Sometimes it's evident (in the case of the shell and the motors), others it's hidden and we don't even know about.

Also, there is no positive, absolute and undeniable correlation of cause and effect here. Shells are cracking despite being X or not-X, and with motors both old and new. P3P, A and S alike. And we don't know for sure (I mean 100% here too) the actual percentage of shells cracking X not cracking, so we can't really tell it's a "P3 issue" - except of course for owners of problematic units.
It's well known if product fails during normal operations, it's either a design issue or a QA issue. Customers should be appropriately compensated in such cases.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart