Phantom 3 Crack Repairs

It's well known if product fails during normal operations, it's either a design issue or a QA issue. Customers should be appropriately compensated in such cases.

I agree. But what can be defined as "normal operation" for a consumer, non-professional drone that can operate as a professional one or even beyond that? Without even touching the subject of such advanced, sensitive and capable aircraft flying time and again without needing specific or regular maintenance, the fact of the matter is that conditions of flight, operation and maintenance vary way too much. We´re not talking about a TV or a PC. IMHO it is important to realize both sides of the issue as well as the others. Besides, pilots are being compensated as far as I´m aware.

I understand and sympathize with pilots suffering cracks or battery problems early on. It is disheartening and frustratingm and DJI is not helping much (yet they´re learning, see the review of warranty terms). But how many are in this situation? Mine has been under "normal operation" and even situations that cannot be objectively defined as "normal" (hard landings, continuous/sequential flights, a small crash against a wall, etc.) for months without a single issue. So has the P3s of many users. I´d be mad pissed if mine failed, even more so early on or time and again (though as a hobbyist I´d prolly fix it up and move on to keep flying somehow).

DJI raised the bar on expectations with the P3 by both creating a mostly trouble-and-maintenance free, long-term use and (mostly) realiable, easy and safe-to-fly aircraft for a resonable price - for the masses. Untill recently, that was high-end hobby camp only, you had a learning curve to climb on many areas that no one has to even touch or deal with when it comes to the P3. They also got it wrong by not defining an expected lifetime for some high-wear components, most notably the shell and engine. It is clear and obvious that both take some serious stress, without a precise maintenance schedule and under operation of pilots situated at extremes of familiarity and hability, and all in between. So everyone is expecting it to last forever and fly trouble-free all the time, but that´s not realistic.

Advanced/sophisticated/sensitive device + variability of conditions and levels of operation/users = problems will occur at some level. I´m a hobbyist/RC operator for over 30 years, and before taking on the Phantom I expected it to need a motor, battery, prop or shell replacement every 10 hours of flight AT MOST. That is A LOT of flying time by existing standards, or any standard in fact. I´ve got already twice that on my P3P and it´s amazingly stable and operating as new. That´s unheard of in hobby/RC and even with drones, at least as far as I´m concerned. The Inspire cost 3X and flies for less than 15 minutes on a charge.

I´m not defending DJI or anyone, I´ve paid full price for my P3 and all the accessories and gizmos like everyone else. I´m just trying to see the facts and the bigger picture. We should demand more from DJI and they must get it right, or else. I just don´t know enough about percentages of failure to point the problems to bad design, at least not when so many are out there flying 100% fine for some time now. A QC issue maybe, but that´s no reason for hysteria ot taking things out of proportion.

IMHO. And sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark_DeKruyter
Just to recovery this....

Yesterday i receive my P3A from RMA in Germany:

Some "funny" facts:

- Forget to put the logo "Phantom Advanced"....
- Just change the donw side of the shell. The top part is the original one.....
- The "new" shell, is in fact, the old version of it. No new V2 version here...
- Without flight, already see a stressed point were cracks will appear.....:eek::eek::eek:

If i knew it, i would change myself the shell by the new version......

Someone: Already have a tube of Bondic.....is it ok to aply it? It doesn`t hurt to try, right?:D

It's well known if product fails during normal operations, it's either a design issue or a QA issue. Customers should be appropriately compensated in such cases.
tumblr_nozbavrxe51ro8ysbo1_500.gif
After all the shell is cracked the shell was cracked and don't forget about the Phantom logo

Ken (blade strike) and Ed (Tahoe Ed) are great guys. Ken helped me get a new unit. But they both denied this is as big of an issue as you, everyone on the forums, and myself think it is. Denial I guess.

Ed is going to be touring DJI's new LA support facility in a few weeks. I told him to specifically ask to see my unit I sent back and tell me what he thinks. It's clearly a mold or some kind of manufacturing error.

Here is the first video I uploaded to YouTube last week. Read the comments. A lot of people have the same issue.

Here is a video of my new unit. No stress cracks, but definitely some kind of marks in the mold.

The problem is, is lot of people are not looking at the bottom of their units or don't know how to look for stress cracks. Share my video with fellow P3 pilots so they too can inspect their P3's. The more people that become educated on this issue, the more pilots re finding stress cracks.

Old post, sorry to dig it back up but this problem has not gone away or been solved, even the new shells with the X brace design are now having the problem with cracking on or before the first few flights.

I am on my 2nd phantom 3 standard both have cracked after a few gentle flights, mostly hovering no hard landings or fast flights.

Luckily the company I purchased mine from have sent me a new shell, but before I replace it I am looking for a last solution to fix the 2 hairline cracks under one of my motors... I think I might cover them from the inside with epoxy or something stronger. Any updated tips on fixing them would be great.

More to the point, people need to CAREFULLY check theirs for cracks with a light source or flashlight from different angles. If there's cracks you'll see them like I did.

If not you have none, look again and keep checking after every flight.

It's only a matter of when it happens to yours.

As for DJI I wouldn't bother sending it to them. I would demand a replacement or refund from your dealer or open a dispute for a return if you've paid with paypal or card company.

Reactions: Kman
Just to recovery this....

Yesterday i receive my P3A from RMA in Germany:

Some "funny" facts:

- Forget to put the logo "Phantom Advanced"....
- Just change the donw side of the shell. The top part is the original one.....
- The "new" shell, is in fact, the old version of it. No new V2 version here...
- Without flight, already see a stressed point were cracks will appear.....:eek::eek::eek:

If i knew it, i would change myself the shell by the new version......

Someone: Already have a tube of Bondic.....is it ok to aply it? It doesn`t hurt to try, right?:D

Please update and tell us how you got on??

It did send it back to DJI and did return ok. Except they install 1.5fw and did screw my hypotheses of return to 1.3.2...

Last edited:
I haven't tried the under mount arm supports, but I did pick up a set of UAVbits motor covers. Seemed like they'd be a good idea for storage and transport - also to protect the foam inside a case from being shredded by the motor threads.
Kind of disappointing that they don't fit over the motors. [emoji53]

That dude was a vicious troll. I couldn't even understand what he was talking about.

Zip Ties - if you are going this route, people should probably just be conscious of loosening the screw before they take the zip ties off of the Phantom. If you put the zip tie on there and then after that re torque the screw so it is looser just remember to loosen the screw again BEFORE you take the zip tie off or at least before you fly it. The zip tie is definitely squeezing the two halves together so when the zip tie is taken off it could cause the screw to be very tight again all of the sudden.

My first unit developed cracks but I was able to return it to the hobby store. I have zip ties on the new unit now and I loosened the screws just a bit to try to prevent it from happening again. I guess if it does have to be sent in, I really just want to know that the new shell put on doesn't suffer from the same manufacturing defect. If mine cracks again I would be ok with sending it in if I knew the replacement shell would not have the same issue.

It's been a while since you got the new one and put zip ties on and loosened the screws. I was just wondering if this worked out for you? I ask because mine is in repair right now and I was contemplating doing the same thing when I get it back.

Thanks,
Steve

It's been a while since you got the new one and put zip ties on and loosened the screws. I was just wondering if this worked out for you? I ask because mine is in repair right now and I was contemplating doing the same thing when I get it back.

Thanks,
Steve

I have since sold that unit to buy the P4, but I did not notice any cracking up until I sold it. I would go ahead and throw them on there.

I got a message on screen yesterday saying "propulsion limit exceeded." Never seen that one before. So I landed immediately and looked over my P3A and sure enough each arm has fractures in it. I never noticed them before and have been flying this unit for 10 months now.
Contacted DJI chat support on what to do, and the CSR says "OMG, Do not fly that thing" I said, ya I was thinking the exact same thing.
So now I have to wait for a shipping slip to send my bird in. Problem is I use this as my primary survey UAV. So not having a bird to use is a big issue. Going to buy a P4 momentarily from Staples in town. I have 2 surveys to complete before the end of the weekend.
But really, all I can do is blame myself for not inspecting my drone more often. Got complacent in thinking its always gonna work. All well, I have an excuse to upgrade today! Then will use the P3A as a back up once its back from repairs.

IMG_0265.JPG

I got a message on screen yesterday saying "propulsion limit exceeded."
FYI, that message is displayed when the battery voltage is too low to handle the maneuver you're trying to perform. For example, people commonly see it when taking off and climbing at full throttle on a partially charged battery.

Last edited:
I got that message the other day while I was flying around carrying a Halloween scary girl suspended by fishing line....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

b
FYI, that message is displayed when the battery voltage is too low to handle the maneuver you're trying to perform. For example, people commonly see it when taking off and climbing at full throttle on a partially charged battery.

Ya, I figured it was something like that. But at least it prompted me to actually inspect the drone.

But, I honestly dont even care about the P3 at this moment.

Im sitting at the computer watching my batteries charge for my NEW P4!
1 more bar to go till the maiden flight! :)

I got that message the other day while I was flying around carrying a Halloween scary girl suspended by fishing line....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Just a shot in the dark, but you dont live in Ontario do you? say around the Thunder Bay area?
Its a huge long shot, but a buddy of mine was telling me he seen someone flying a witch around with a Phantom over the weekend.

Nice fix. You're going to love the P4 :)
Oh i know it.
Im going to try the collision avoidance out tomorrow morning. Have a couple different drones that I used for different things. I have my phantom for surface work, and I have an Elios by Flyability for my underground work. The Elios has a $27K price tag. So ive been pretty liberal with the missions I have sent it on so far - A few drop raise and open stope missions, but nothing crazy. And I even attach a nylon rope to the role cage in case something happens during flight, then I can retrieve it.
I have some Lume cubes that im going to put on the P4 and fly it underground and do some tests with the collision avoidance. Se how it fairs underground.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1