Phantom 3 alternatives?

I cancelled my order on my P2V+ (ver 3) the day they announced the Phantom 3.

So have money burning a hole in my pocket :)

I would probably go with the 3DR but after talking to them the are INSISTENT it will only fly 1/2 mile maximum when DJI claims triple that with the new Phantom.

I am guessing sales at 3DR is just restating what they have been told but I am not going to commit to anything that cant be easily modded for 2 miles.

So right now in the waiting mode and having a ball with my P2V+

I just returned mine a couple weeks ago, bought and fulfilled through Amazon but it was a 3rd party seller. It was in like new condition but had been flown several times. I had purchased the package with extra battery, SD card and reader. I tossed the package for the SD card and just placed it in an envelope for the return.Sent it out the night of the P3 announcement and had the money back on my card by that Saturday. I was about 20 days into the return period. I just realized the other day I didn't send back the orangeish wrapper that was on the controller.

That's funny. I did the exact same thing. I was worried that the P3 would be released soon but also wanted a drone for a trip to Mexico in early May so I bought a P2 V+ package early April. When the P3 was announced I literally placed every single sticker back where I found it, boxed it up, and sent it back. Also placed the SD card in an envelope. Money was refunded with no questions asked. I'm really glad I babied that P2 V+ though. It probably only worked because there literally wasn't a scratch on it.

Now I'm biting my fingernails hoping the P3s get shipped out soon.

That's funny. I did the exact same thing. I was worried that the P3 would be released soon but also wanted a drone for a trip to Mexico in early May so I bought a P2 V+ package early April. When the P3 was announced I literally placed every single sticker back where I found it, boxed it up, and sent it back. Also placed the SD card in an envelope. Money was refunded with no questions asked. I'm really glad I babied that P2 V+ though. It probably only worked because there literally wasn't a scratch on it.

Now I'm biting my fingernails hoping the P3s get shipped out soon.
Similar situation I need mine in time for a June trip to Alaska and my P2V+ flew phenomenally well super stable great footage. I couldn't keep it when the P3 undercut the pricing of the P2 although I went for the P3P. As bonuses better range and no wifi dongle.

Solo definitely has come in a caused a little stir but the Phantom 3 is still a much better value. Biggest drawback with the Solo is you are still depending on a GoPro's fisheye for aerial..fisheye and aerial should not be in the same sentence ;)
Fisheye is a Non-issue. Adobe and ProDrenalin, among others.

There's something to be said in that both the controller and main board of 3DR have separate computers. The integrated flight modes are something DJI should consider in the future perhaps? In terms of range half a mile is fine for most of us, if you can't reliably see it what good does it do for most recreational use? Maybe 3DR will drop their price to compete with P3 and make purchasing a gimbal and goPro easier to stomach...

BC

I think im pretty well set on the solo after discussions here and more research. Hopefully the range can be modified with antennas etc, but half a mile will suffice for now.
I like the option to use my gopro. I like the flight modes, the orbit, the wire, etc etc and I LOVE the fact that its open source, so more people can start to do cool things with it.
The mod bay to add accessories. Just lots of upside
This is absolutely nothing against the phantom, i love my phantom, just looking for a change. if it doesnt work out, ill buy a p3 :)

Maybe 3DR will drop their price to compete with P3 and make purchasing a gimbal and goPro easier to stomach...
3DR 's product launch came after the Phantom 3's.
They had time to think that over then but still launched with a price that's double the P3 Advanced for a Solo with camera.
They are hoping their marketing campaign will convince customers and aren't competing on price.
Seems to have worked on some of the people here.

Meta,
When you factor in that 3DR doesn't constrain you to their camera only it becomes more appealing. How many posts have there been in the past asking about replacing the camera on P2 and P2VP? The interest is out there. I'm sure if their sales lag expectations then the gimbal will be factored in at a better price.

3DR 's product launch came after the Phantom 3's.
They had time to think that over then but still launched with a price that's double the P3 Advanced for a Solo with camera.
They are hoping their marketing campaign will convince customers and aren't competing on price.
Seems to have worked on some of the people here.

Meta,
When you factor in that 3DR doesn't constrain you to their camera only it becomes more appealing. How many posts have there been in the past asking about replacing the camera on P2 and P2VP? The interest is out there. I'm sure if their sales lag expectations then the gimbal will be factored in at a better price.
What if the next gopro has a form factor change and requires a new gimbal? What if the prices continue to rise on that gopro? Your appealing camera upgrade may cost as much as a P4.

Interesting. I've always had good luck with B&H, but who knows when they'll get the P3P in stock. Sounds like Amazon has a good policy since I have Prime. Maybe UAV-Outlets will get them soon, as in next week?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can pre-order one for $999 but then you have to spend $400 for the go-pro black + lens change to rid of the fish-eye. By the time you are finished you're into it for $1500-$1600. Haven't looked into the flight spec's so can't comment on flight time and such.
Also keep in mind the Gimbal is separate on the Solo.

That statement isn't entirely true as the lens can be changed on the GoPro and eliminate the fisheye altogether. Plus there many other features and frame rates that GoPro has that the P3 doesn't have.
Can the P3's camera be taken off and be used for any other purpose? NO!! So then tell us how good is it really.
I heard changing out the GoPro lens (from someone who did it) is a HUGE hassle, though.

I heard changing out the GoPro lens (from someone who did it) is a HUGE hassle, though.

Not really it took about 1 1/2 hours to take it apart and back together. Of course I had to focus the lens but if you micro to mini HDMI cable it's easy.

Not really it took about 1 1/2 hours to take it apart and back together. Of course I had to focus the lens but if you micro to mini HDMI cable it's easy.
So when you use the gopro as a gopro do you switch back to the original lens?

I read through the SOLO owners thread on RCgroups, quite the read.
Thinking that I may have to buy a SOLO just to try it and with their 30 day return policy I have nothing to lose. But if I get a new Hero 4 black or 5 by the time the SOLO comes out, will they take it back also? From what I read you have to have better than a 3 for the camera to be supported and for full functionality. I'm still guessing the 5 gets a different gimbal though.

In terms of range half a mile is fine for most of us, if you can't reliably see it what good does it do for most recreational use?

Well I for one am hoping that the Solo will respond well to antenna mods. I have to think it will. I have one on order and if I cant get more than 1/2 mile I will be adding a P3 to the hanger.

And not sure what you mean "can't reliably see it". 99% of my flying is beyond visual. I can always see where I am going via my android device. The only time to see it is when its nearing home. But most of my flying is leaving from home. I have lots of nice things to see around here as long as I have some range.

We all have different flying desires and many of us need over 1/2 mile to do it.

No. I also have 3+ silver but I never had a need for a fisheye lens. Don't even have one for my DSLR cameras.

That statement isn't entirely true as the lens can be changed on the GoPro and eliminate the fisheye altogether. Plus there many other features and frame rates that GoPro has that the P3 doesn't have.
Can the P3's camera be taken off and be used for any other purpose? NO!! So then tell us how good is it really.
Yes, but how much does it cost to have the lens changed on the GoPro? And, have you honestly had any real use for all those frame rates?
AND, how dumb is it to suggest that a camera is no good because it can only be used for the specific purpose for which it was designed?

Reactions: Meta4
Any video editing platform can remove the fisheye in about 5 seconds. If that were the only difference between the two cameras, I'd have an Inspire and I would be waiting on a P3P right now.

Here's what else is different. GoPro is dedicated to imaging systems. They have experts who focus entirely on the algorithms that dynamically adjust compression techniques, exposure, etc. The Hero 3 and 4 were designed in consultation with the film and TV industries. Cineform, which is the codec used in Protune was designed by experts in the film industry to maximize color information in a limited bandwidth platform. It uses a special process to unpack color into 10 bit intermediates.

DJI has none of this. And it shows. The GoPro looks like a 65mb/s imaging system should. The DJI looks like 40mb/s or less using the same hardware. DJI's algorithms are a mess. They think adding excessive sharpness will make up for the compression artifacts that plague half of their shots.

Just look at Philip Bloom's video. They guy is an accomplished DP. He knows every trick in the book. Yet the video looks like crap. Pardon my français.

Now, if you can't see the difference or care, that's fine. Not everyone pixel peeps. But don't go on about how horrible fisheye is when it is the least of the issues between the two cameras.

Any video editing platform can remove the fisheye in about 5 seconds. If that were the only difference between the two cameras, I'd have an Inspire and I would be waiting on a P3P right now.

Here's what else is different. GoPro is dedicated to imaging systems. They have experts who focus entirely on the algorithms that dynamically adjust compression techniques, exposure, etc. The Hero 3 and 4 were designed in consultation with the film and TV industries. Cineform, which is the codec used in Protune was designed by experts in the film industry to maximize color information in a limited bandwidth platform. It uses a special process to unpack color into 10 bit intermediates.

DJI has none of this. And it shows. The GoPro looks like a 65mb/s imaging system should. The DJI looks like 40mb/s or less using the same hardware. DJI's algorithms are a mess. They think adding excessive sharpness will make up for the compression artifacts that plague half of their shots.

Just look at Philip Bloom's video. They guy is an accomplished DP. He knows every trick in the book. Yet the video looks like crap. Pardon my français.

Now, if you can't see the difference or care, that's fine. Not everyone pixel peeps. But don't go on about how horrible fisheye is when it is the least of the issues between the two cameras.

Are you comparing the GoPro Hero 3/4 with the P3?

I read through the SOLO owners thread on RCgroups, quite the read.
Thinking that I may have to buy a SOLO just to try it and with their 30 day return policy I have nothing to lose. But if I get a new Hero 4 black or 5 by the time the SOLO comes out, will they take it back also? From what I read you have to have better than a 3 for the camera to be supported and for full functionality. I'm still guessing the 5 gets a different gimbal though.

There's a better chance there'll be a 4+ late this year. GoPro has a history of announcing products one year after last release. I don't see a reason they would significantly change the format due to all the available accessories, so no, a different gimbal won't be needed.
If the next gen GoPro can save room, they are more likely to have a larger battery than shave off of the outer dimensions.
The differences between non-plus and plus are not so hugely immense to justify waiting. I still have my 3+ and use it just about the same as the 4. I would just be more likely to take the 4 when there's less light or I specifically needed one of the new features.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor