Phantom 3 alternatives?

Thats why i said opinion, same as that is YOURS.
Tiny price? come on. its essentially the same price, +- a couple hundred bucks isnt a big deal.

1. I did miss the lightbridge piece. thats a nice thing, certainly... very good.
2. dedicated area camera? I and others dont want dedicated. I want modular. I want to take my go pro fishing and hunting, and biking, AND use it on a quad. Not be locked in to 1 camera that a year from now i cant change. Thats not bashing DJI thats just fact.
3. Pedestrian? come on, thats just being a homer. There are nice new things about the P3, and there are nice new things that the solo will do. Claiming the solo is pedestrian is just a weak argument and makes you look untrustworthy (thats not a slam, its just how people feel when others bash an idea that is clearly false)
4. Crummy go pro camera ? come on, thats another silly statement that doesnt help your case. Whether you think the new camera is better than a go pro or the other way around, fact is they are both very good cameras and to say one is crummy, thats just ridiculous.
5. 3drs offering is old before its released? With an open source platform, that notion doesnt exist. If DJI was open source, the p2 would be even better, 10x better because an inspired (no pun intended) community of developers would be creating amazing things to only enhance the platform. 1 year from now the P3 will be replaced by the P4 with a fancier BUILT IN camera and some new features. You will have to shell out 1k + again to have it. Where as the solo will have a community (hopefully) behind it making amazing mods and software packages, and I can replace my go pro 4 with a 5 and leapfrog the P3 for a few hundred. It is a lot of apples and oranges in here.

All DJI would have to do to fend off any and all competition is to do a few things better. as stated before the "Crummy, and pedestrian" and other unhelpful adjectives started getting thrown around, was that there are pros and cons to both. As a leader in the industry you open yourself to un - needed competition if you dont address your CONS.

1. Open it up. Let develops play with your code (if its an upsupported firmware it voids the warranty, there you are free of liability).
2. Dont lock in hardware - dont make people spend $700 (or whatever it is/was) to replace the entire gimbal camera assembly.
3. Support - implement the auto support feature of collecting logs (not on the bird) and be able to parse those logs to accurately determine what happened. Dont deny the issue of fly aways, because its un deniable. Admit it, own it, collect data on it, and make it better. Its not about being perfect , its about honesty and communication.

It doesnt take much. The follow me, orbit etc are nice features, but they arent what is swaying me one way or another, its the above points more than anything.
Maybe the solo will bomb and ill be back owning a p3. Maybe ill not get a solo at all after more thought. That was the point of this, and whether the points have been hashed 100 times or not, writing them out myself helps, and if it helps one other person think about it more, then its worth it.

You're sold on the P3, so of course you will defend your stance.

I like 3dr a lot, looks like a solution with future, the p3 will soon be replaced by the Phantom 4... Wait one more year...

And the 3dr solo will have new added features, I doubt dji will add much more to the p3.

I don't understand why its so hard to acknowledge that the GoPro is superior when their focus is small, high quality action cameras and they invest all R&D into making that camera the best it can be considering size restraints.
The Phantom camera will be fine for most people, as was the Phantom V+ cam, even though it was inferior to the GP3B.

The best about gopro is the firmware, no one in the world can extract so much for this little micro chips than gopro, that's where they really shine.

And you're sold on the 3DR and not looking for alternatives.
You're just trolling for an opportunity to explain why (in your eyes) a machine with less features and costing twice as much is good!!
Good luck

You're just trolling for an opportunity to explain why (in your eyes) a machine with less features and costing twice as much is good!!
Good luck
Less features? Are you crazy?

Only that fact that the flight controller in the 3dr solo has redundancy in the most important chips to avoid flyaway in hardware failure it's already one step ahead from dji.

Good luck
Thats not the case at all. I own p2v+ and I am up in the air on this one. I am about 70/30 in favor of the solo but in no way buying either today. Not once in any of my posts have I been "trolling" . Im not name calling, im not posting mis information, im merely posting my opinion, and asking for others.

Reactions: wa1ter
Less features? Are you crazy?

Only that fact that the flight controller in the 3dr solo has redundancy in the most important chips to avoid flyaway in hardware failure it's already one step ahead from dji.
Why are you in the P3 forum? You're a gopro nutswinger and that's not even an option on the P3. I don't see why you're here.

Reactions: Meta4
So what? I think everyone can talk... I'm talking in a respectful manner so I'm not doing anything wrong.

The reality is that the gopro hero 4 black its better than the p3 camera for aerials.

Other than that I like the p3, the gimbal stability in dji products is awesome and the Lightbridge HD live feed in this price is just great.

I think the p3 is a great product but the camera on the professional version needs the 2.7k at 60mbs and a better customer support and they have a killing product.

The title of this thread is "P3 alternatives?". I think that invites input from people who may believe other platforms have equal if not greater value.

Reactions: wa1ter
The title of this thread is "P3 alternatives?"
You mean the troll thread here as opposed to the several in general discussion?
The fact of the matter is the P3 will be here in the next couple weeks. It has better battery life, better range, a competitive (arguably better) fully controlled camera, better peer support and requires nothing out of the box.

You mean the troll thread here as opposed to the several in general discussion?

This discussion is in the P3 section as it is meant to be comparing the P3 against alternatives, be more mature about this and offer constructive comments comparing two platforms. Its a piece of electronics not your baby so stop taking it so personally.

I'm not sure who you've been asking for a comparison. I don't have an Inspire. I would only get one if I could put a GoPro on it. As for the difference, use this for reference. I pulled it together in about 20 minutes so you can consider it pretty much raw, ungraded footage straight from the camera after cutting the clips for conversion to a Protune intermediate in GoPro Studio and applying only rough (very rough) white balance.

Regardless of the GoPro Vs P3 camera outcome, thats a nice video you posted.

I dont understand why people get so defensive about one product or the next... I know you all feel the need to justify your own purchase against anything else, but like sdharris said, its not your baby. Im not calling your baby ugly. Im asking you why you chose your drone vs another. We get it, some of you guys are super passionate about DJI.
Id argue the fully controllable camera thing... If anything its a wash on the P3Pro (if you have someone else controlling it).
I like how you went with better "peer" support lol... i see what you did there haha.

I think the battery life will be one best left to testing.
P3 - 23 min
Solo - 25 min - no payload
Solo - 20 min w/ gimbal and camera.

My bet is both the solo and p3 people will fly about 15 minutes and land them +- 1 minute of each other. Marketing will not be the decision maker on this one :)

The range is right now the biggest thing holding me back from a pre order of the solo. Half a mile (under the right conditions) is not as good as I would want. 1+ mile on the P3 stock is really really nice.

I dont understand why people get so defensive about one product or the next... I know you all feel the need to justify your own purchase against anything else, but like sdharris said, its not your baby. Im not calling your baby ugly. Im asking you why you chose your drone vs another. We get it, some of you guys are super passionate about DJI.
Honestly I don't care about what the company is but you have an actual product that's been in the hands of actual people vs a marketing strategy. Then again this is Phantom Pilots isn't it?

Id argue the fully controllable camera thing... If anything its a wash on the P3Pro (if you have someone else controlling it).
This post shows a bias in your overall goal

I like how you went with better "peer" support lol... i see what you did there haha.
Really you don't think there will be more Phantom owners than solo owners?

I think the battery life will be one best left to testing.
P3 - 23 min
Solo - 25 min - no payload
Solo - 20 min w/ gimbal and camera.

My bet is both the solo and p3 people will fly about 15 minutes and land them +- 1 minute of each other. Marketing will not be the decision maker on this one :)
Well the Phantom 3 has been tested so I guess it's up to the solo guys to prove that they can exceed their statements.

The range is right now the biggest thing holding me back from a pre order of the solo. Half a mile (under the right conditions) is not as good as I would want. 1+ mile on the P3 stock is really really nice.
I guess we'll know more once somebody opens up a Solo.

My point with PEER support was that DJI support is terrible (ive dealt with it 4 x firsthand) The almost denial of fly aways (earlier models) etc. The fact that they wont sell you a ribbon cable, etc.
Thats what i meant.
PEER support for phantoms is fantastic, as evidenced by this forum. Sorry i wasnt more clear.

4 pages on this thread that really means nothing until we receive both quads and the beta testers report back to us. Both are nice quads if you believe the marketing people. Until we fly them and post videos, we know nothing for sure.

My point with PEER support was that DJI support is terrible (ive dealt with it 4 x firsthand) The almost denial of fly aways (earlier models) etc. The fact that they wont sell you a ribbon cable, etc.
Thats what i meant.
PEER support for phantoms is fantastic, as evidenced by this forum. Sorry i wasnt more clear.
Like these?
Packs of 2
http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Ribbon-Cables-DJI-Phantom/dp/B00RLU5TZ8
http://www.davesmotors.com/DJI-Special-Order-Part-Ribbon-Cable.html

4 pages on this thread that really means nothing until we receive both quads and the beta testers report back to us. Both are nice quads if you believe the marketing people. Until we fly them and post videos, we know nothing for sure.
Thats the point ive been trying to make but people keep dragging things down a rabbit hole :) I am just here to make the best educated guess with the information we have.
DJI - we have information, its almost launched, its pretty well fleshed out, and its solid.
Solo - we have marketing, and a few bits and pieces of real world flying, but mostly marketing. If the marketing is real, then its going to be a big competitor to the P3.

At the end of the day its "What you know" vs "what we hope we get"

If everything 3dr says is true, I will buy the solo. If they fall flat on some things after early reviews etc, then ill likely get a P3. Its a known commodity.

If you're debating redundancy, you should consider that the SOLO has 3 IMUs which is the first FC I know of to have more than 1. That is a level of redundancy typically found in aircraft. If one disagrees with the other 2, it is ignored. Also, 3 IMUs should theoretically provide enhanced stability.

IMU hiccups are rare but they are the primary cause of actual flyaways (not the BS kind where people lose control or scramble their compass by taking off from the roof of their car). It takes only a few milliseconds of bad IMU data to send your bird screaming like a bat out of hell in one direction. Only manual mode will recover it.

After 200 or so flights, I experienced this first hand the other weekend. Cost me about $1,000 to replace broken parts. I have a newfound appreciation for any company that designs 3 IMUs into their FC.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl