Phantom 3 alternatives?

So i guess there is some real competition, or at least enough to stir some debate.
I do have a Go Pro Hero 4 silver that I could use. I do love a lot of the modes it has, so that is a plus.
Obviously the gimbal cost etc factors in.
So for me, having already invested in the hero 4 the price is around the same, or close enough that it isnt a push one way or another.
If i didnt have a good high end go pro, it would be easy, but since i do, it is perhaps a little tougher of a decision.
thanks

Some more vids about solo
NAB 2015: 3D Robotics Solo Quadcopter:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
NAB 2015 - 3D Robotics Solo with Colin Guinn:

Quite frankly, the solo looks really really good... If it lives up to the marketing.
I love the ability to use a few buttons for certain camera modes (im not not a professional)
I like open source (my 3d printers are open source).
There is a lot to like here.
One thing i havent seen mentioned is range... how far can we take this thing without mods? i guess i found on dslr pros range of about half mile. that seems pretty low... hope since its psuedo open source that there are easy mods
I love that the P3 can go over a mile (if i remember correctly)

Last edited:
I pre-ordered a P3P for many reasons but most of all because it suited my needs. There will always be something better around the corner. I like the Phantom form - some people say it looks like a toy but that is their opinion. I am used to it as I currently own a P2...it has been rock solid in flights since ownership and I have trust in the brand.

Yes, people have had issues with DJI but trust me, people will have issues with all other manufacturers too.

I did think hard as to which version P3 I would go for but as I own a 5K iMac it made sense to go for the 4K version. I would rather have it and not use than want it and not have it.

Also cost is important and the Solo did work out more expensive in the long run. The look of the Solo doesn't appeal to me at all and the gimbal sits way too close to the ground for my liking.

Both companies will learn lots with these new machines being released and it's the consumers who are going to gain.

So, buy what takes your fancy. The main quads (P3 and Solo) are both great flying devices and you will have fun with both no doubt.

This year will see further upgrades in software for both systems - I think they will be catching each other up.

I'm waffling now - fly safe!

Yeah my p2 is a great machine....
I dont like the look, so thats something, but nothing major.
One concern is that the ribbon cable BS is still there on the P3. nothing has changed from that perspective.
i like that the solo is open source, so people can write cool things for it, where DJI seems more like Apple in that regard.
Im definately leaning solo, but DJI has a long track record of great quads, so its tough

I wonder how many people without the hardware to actually compose or edit any 4K video are going to end up using 1080p all the time.
3DR is obviously very confident in their product offering to replace your gear. The log data upload is great. The features that the controller offers are stunning and can really help in making some very professional video.

Last edited:
One concern is that the ribbon cable BS is still there on the P3. nothing has changed from that perspective.
I believe blade strike said its done different on the p3 and that if you damage the ribbon cable you will also damage the gimbal.

Hmm watching those videos on the Solo makes me excited for the next couple couple years of flying cameras! Being able to set your start and end shots and the computer makes the shot is fantastic! I can see a lot of potential for where the Solo can go. I love my V+, but I think a 3DR could be my next Quadcopter in a year or two. Also the fact the Curt Morgan from Brain Farm was involved and is impressed with the Solo speaks volumes. The only downside is the GoPro requirement, I don't have one, and I'm starting to get tired of the fisheye style. Maybe the next GoPro will give lens options? Sounds like the lens change isn't that tough either. It's an exciting time for flying cameras!

As there is a lot of misinformation circulating, let's clarify a few important points:
  • You don't have to deal with fisheye if you use a GoPro.
  • You don't have to change the lens to get rid of fisheye.
  • The GoPro shoots far better quality video than the Inspire or P3.
  • More pixels does not guarantee a better image.
  • 4K is way overrated.

Reactions: GB Phantom
As there is a lot of misinformation circulating, let's clarify a few important points:
  • 4K is way overrated.
Your story, might as well tell it like you want. From my perspective you've added more misinformation.

Reactions: Meta4
Don't confuse content and editing with shot quality. If you can't see the compression, mud patches, missing range in many of those shots, then that's the camera for you. It's simply not as good as the GoPro.

Don't confuse content and editing with shot quality. If you can't see the compression, mud patches, missing range in many of those shots, then that's the camera for you. GoPro would shoot those shots better.
I also have a gopro. Unlike you I'm not in love with mine.

Your story, might as well tell it like you want. From my perspective you've added more misinformation.

Do you think they crashed it after the drifting 1:20 in?

Reactions: iahphantom
Do you think they crashed it after the drifting 1:20 in?

I wondered the same. If he didn't, it was probably very close.

I also have a gopro. Unlike you I'm not in love with mine.

I'm not in love with GoPros. They have their own limitations. But all else being equal, they shoot a better shot than either the Inspire or P3 cameras.

• 4K is way overrated.
Yes .. lets clarify
For the Gopro appreciation society, nothing could ever be better than their little Gopros and none of the handicaps of that camera are a problem. They use them and like them. It works for them and that's OK.
But the Gopro is far from the final evolution of the aerial camera. The Gopro was an early stage in the development of drone photography and now its time has passed. DJI has continued the evolution and the P3 looks to be a great step in this development.
You don't have to deal with fisheye if you use a GoPro.
Sorry Ian .. you do. Gopro only sell cameras with a fisheye lens. One way or another you have to deal with fisheye. Whether you convert with software or you pay additional $$ to replace your lens.
You don't have to change the lens to get rid of fisheye.
Yes, we all know that you can use software because we have all had to do it up to now. This takes time (with a resulting loss of original image size and quality). The P3 promises the user the ability to use the whole original image without having to do any conversion - just like land-based photographers have always done.
And before you tell us that you shoot in Medium FOV to reduce fisheye ... that doesn't reduce fisheye. It simply reduces the size of your image by cropping the edges. It does nothing to straighten curved lines or remove distortion.
The GoPro shoots far better quality video than the Inspire or P3
I must have heard that a thousand times - but never with any proof. It's the Gopro fans mantra chanted loudly in forums.
It's been an important item of faith for users of a camera that (until the 3DR Solo) couldn't be properly controlled in flight.
But if you are going to shoot video in Medium, you are fooling yourself because you throw away 50% of your original image and still have fisheye.
Gopro 4K Ultrawide = 3840 x 2160 = 8.3 Megapixels
2.7K Medium = 2704 x 1520 = 4.1 Megapixels (50% thrown away)
More pixels does not guarantee a better image.
Absolutely right, number of pixels is only one of the factors and when used alone it is not a measure of image quality.
Not really a factor in a comparison of Gopro and P3 cameras because they create original images of the same size
However, if you are going to handicap yourself by shooting Medium FOV, you've thrown away 50% of your image and that is not going to help you get a better image.
4K is way overrated
Correct again. I completely agree. For most users 4K will be more trouble than it's worth and do nothing to make their video better.

Reactions: Apparition
Never replaced my lens. No fisheye in any of my shots. Is it magic?

That's 4K from a P3P. The whole sensor is being used. Yet the compression artifacts, lack of exposure, lack of latitude are in a bunch of the shots. And that's cherry picked shots (only one per flight) that have been cleaned up by a pro. Now take a look at this one:

It's unedited 1080/60 straight from a P3P. It's got so much compression, it begs belief. My Hero 2 blows it away!

The P3 is a very stable platform but it's camera just isn't nearly as good. Any pro would tell you the same.

Never replaced my lens. No fisheye in any of my shots. Is it magic?
Until you show or share your secret technique no-one has any ide.

Now take a look at this one:
It's unedited 1080/60 straight from a P3P. It's got so much compression, it begs belief. My Hero 2 blows it away!
That's on Youtube .. what compression is from the camera and what's from Youtube?
Youtube videos are no way to critically examine camera image quality.
i-qjzKmgw-L.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31