Phantom 2 Vision WIFI mods

Re: Phantom 2 Vision WIFI

themosttoys said:
semaj said:
What are your WiFi distances?

Just landed from testing. Went a little over 2 miles using the Circular Wireless Skew Planar and Helical. Did not use the amplifier, stopped for 2 reasons, the control signal was unstable (kept dropping) and it started to drizzle.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Very well done indeed themosttoys. You probably needed to use hand landing.

PVFlyer said:
themosttoys said:
semaj said:

Just landed from testing. Went a little over 2 miles using the Circular Wireless Skew Planar and Helical. Did not use the amplifier, stopped for 2 reasons, the control signal was unstable (kept dropping) and it started to drizzle.

Very well done indeed themosttoys. You probably needed to use hand landing.

Thank you, yes I hand land (for now).

themosttoys said:
semaj said:

Hi again themostoys, well done on great work. Can you confirm what helical you are using on the repeater?

Uk has terrible weather again so little testing going on, got a bit desperate the other day so flew in mist and fog ! I know not a great idea. Had fitted omni on the pv got just over 1.6km when the PV came back the antenna was dripping wet!

Anyway I want to share another approach with you that I am looking at. Use a patch panel such as http://www.fpvflying.com/products/5.8-G ... tenna.html on the PV
Fitted to a servo with a heading lock gyro. Use a simple 555 timer for a centre pulse on the servo. Aim being to keep the panel locked onto the direction of the repeater. Could be a simple and cheap compromise tracker on the PV. Obviously it will not track signal just direction but might be good enough to help with consistent wifi feed. What do you think ?

PVFlyer said:
themosttoys said:

Nice day here for a change -- clear and sunny. If it wasn't for the wind gusting to 45mph..... Sigh!!

2 miles is excellent though! I max out at 2.2km, but that's with antennas that don't need pointing which is my preference.
I have an antenna tracked used for amsat stuff.. I should probably try and subvert that for the PV!

For those with iffy wx, one thing I do to range test if the wx is crap is get a helper to drive the PV to a spot x km away, then fire it up remotely and hover.... using 2m handies for a back channel! :)

Re: R: Phantom 2 Vision WIFI

HaM-73 said:
themosttoys said:
More pics:

Where did you find the male-male mini pci connector to join the 2 cables?

If it could be usefull for you I'm finding everything on cablematic

Inviato dal mio HTC One utilizzando Tapatalk

max.bex said:
HaM-73 said:
themosttoys said:
More pics:

If it could be usefull for you I'm finding everything on cablematic

Trying to find the cable, or adapter, like the pic inside the camera connection. Themosttoys has either found a male mini pci ended cable or used a male adapter to join the 2 female ended cables. I have not found either so far but still searching :)

Highcloud said:
themosttoys said:
semaj said:

Hi again themostoys, well done on great work. Can you confirm what helical you are using on the repeater?

Uk has terrible weather again so little testing going on, got a bit desperate the other day so flew in mist and fog ! I know not a great idea. Had fitted omni on the pv got just over 1.6km when the PV came back the antenna was dripping wet!

Anyway I want to share another approach with you that I am looking at. Use a patch panel such as http://www.fpvflying.com/products/5.8-G ... tenna.html on the PV
Fitted to a servo with a heading lock gyro. Use a simple 555 timer for a centre pulse on the servo. Aim being to keep the panel locked onto the direction of the repeater. Could be a simple and cheap compromise tracker on the PV. Obviously it will not track signal just direction but might be good enough to help with consistent wifi feed. What do you think ?

I'm using Circular Wireless antennas, they are excellent antennas, a very close second would be IBCrazy. The antennas are the SPW24 and the HELIAXIAL24 bought them from here: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1538

Your tracker idea is cool (kind of a small version of a Trackvision / gimbal), theoretically should work fine. The antenna you chose it 5.8ghz, that would be good for the control RX, but you would need to add a second (2.4ghz) for the wifi.

Would be a lot of fun to see something like that implemented.

mr_3_0_5 said:
Trying to find the cable, or adapter, like the pic inside the camera connection. Themosttoys has either found a male mini pci ended cable or used a male adapter to join the 2 female ended cables. I have not found either so far but still searching :)

i think this is what your looking for
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-RP-SMA-Male ... 1e828738a9

or this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA-Male-to-SMA ... 2a15f1ae9a[/quote]

Thanks for the links but the connection I am trying to understand is one. It is inside the camera and is the cable I believe that extends out of the camera to the mod antenna.

Attachments

• 2014-02-02_110536.jpg
    2014-02-02_110536.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,377

HaM-73 said:
themosttoys said:
More pics:

Presently I'm using http://www.ebay.com/itm/221262163106?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1

I disconnected the original (female to female) cable from the u.fl post and attached this. I did this so that I could easily reattach the original antenna if I wanted. When I settle on what I want as a more permanent solution, I'll probably detach it and just put a u'fl pigtail directly to the post, using rg178 cable (rather than the cheap 113 that I'm currently using).

Question:I'm going to use a 8dbi 2.4 to 5.8 antenna instead of the Rc original one.I'm a little confused about the real gain given by a 2.4 /5.8 antenna instead of a 5.8 specific one.what do you all think ? Thanks

themosttoys said:
HaM-73 said:
themosttoys said:
More pics:

Presently I'm using http://www.ebay.com/itm/221262163106?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1

I disconnected the original (female to female) cable from the u.fl post and attached this. I did this so that I could easily reattach the original antenna if I wanted. When I settle on what I want as a more permanent solution, I'll probably detach it and just put a u'fl pigtail directly to the post, using rg178 cable (rather than the cheap 113 that I'm currently using).

Exactly what I was trying to figure out. Thank you !!!!!! Not only for the link and help but for all you are doing. You have certainly done some great work for this group. Thanks again :)

gpauk said:
Nice day here for a change -- clear and sunny. If it wasn't for the wind gusting to 45mph..... Sigh!!

2 miles is excellent though! I max out at 2.2km, but that's with antennas that don't need pointing which is my preference.
I have an antenna tracked used for amsat stuff.. I should probably try and subvert that for the PV!

For those with iffy wx, one thing I do to range test if the wx is crap is get a helper to drive the PV to a spot x km away, then fire it up remotely and hover.... using 2m handies for a back channel! :)

Hi gpauk, thanks. I too like omni's (each situation has it's tool.) However for distance flying there really is no benefit to omni's. When I have the time, I'll diagram this, but essentially, at distance you too have a directional antenna. For brief example, the popular 8db TPLink has a vertical beam width of 15 degrees which is a LOT smaller window (requiring better aim) than a comparable patch antenna (approx 60 to 70 degrees.) Also, greater than 70% of the 360 degree horizontal beam width is being wasted listening to an area that will never be used (essentially throwing away sensitivity and giving up free range.) Where closer in, I agree that omni's are a better choice, down range they will perform less and require better aim.
But as always, if it works for you, that's great, happy flying.

themosttoys said:
max.bex said:
7dbi sorry, this one http://www.cablematic.it/cercatore/am09 ... dBi/?pag=1

It will work. It is 7dbi at 5.8ghz, but only 5dbi at 2.4ghz (P2V only uses 2.4ghz for wifi.) Also, it has a 10deg vertical beam width, that's a little small for such an antenna, but in general it will work.

Good thank you.such a fantastic group here!!! What about the gain compared to the original one?

This is the one going to install on the extender.what do you think?
http://www.cablematic.it/cercatore/am03 ... dBi/?pag=1
Thank you again,this is a incredible resource for a noob like me!

themosstoy well what i can read you with 2 antenas you get 2.2 k, this is my questions, you get 2 antenas the SPW24 and the HELIAXIAL24, i guess you put the the spw24 antenna to one of the camara antennas right? the other remains as stock, and the HELIAXIAL24 you put it instead of one on the p2v repeater?

1.-can you tell me how did you o were did you put the spw24 antenna on the phantom for best coverage or range, and i guees the same to the heliaxial 24 on the repaeter? what other antenna you are using on the repater with the heliaxial?

2.- what i read you are not using any amplifier right just antennas right?

3.- do you have to point all the time the antenna with the phantom in flight?

4.- both of the antennas are RCHP?

thanks

I'm using Circular Wireless antennas, they are excellent antennas, a very close second would be IBCrazy. The antennas are the SPW24 and the HELIAXIAL24 bought them from here: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1538

Your tracker idea is cool (kind of a small version of a Trackvision / gimbal), theoretically should work fine. The antenna you chose it 5.8ghz, that would be good for the control RX, but you would need to add a second (2.4ghz) for the wifi.

Would be a lot of fun to see something like that implemented.[/quote]

Once I catch up on flying tests I'll knock one up and post the results. Right now have antennas and amps to test but rubbish weather, cannot even find a decent line of sight to do static test. I think the patch is 2.4 and 5.8 . I use on the tx and looks like 11 DBI at 5.8 and 8 DBI at 2.4. Will keep everyone informed

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT