Phantom 2 Vision WIFI mods

Re: R: Phantom 2 Vision WIFI

max.bex said:
Good thank you.such a fantastic group here!!! What about the gain compared to the original one?

This is the one going to install on the extender.what do you think?
http://www.cablematic.it/cercatore/am03 ... dBi/?pag=1
Thank you again,this is a incredible resource for a noob like me!

Inviato dal mio HTC One utilizzando Tapatalk

I have no direct experience with that antenna, but the spec sheet looks good.

Try it out and let us know how it works for you.

Happy flying

Re: Phantom 2 Vision WIFI

themosttoys said:
HaM-73 said:
themosttoys said:
More pics:

Where did you find the male-male mini pci connector to join the 2 cables?

Presently I'm using http://www.ebay.com/itm/221262163106?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1

I disconnected the original (female to female) cable from the u.fl post and attached this. I did this so that I could easily reattach the original antenna if I wanted. When I settle on what I want as a more permanent solution, I'll probably detach it and just put a u'fl pigtail directly to the post, using rg178 cable (rather than the cheap 113 that I'm currently using).

now I'm confused
why is that wire needed?
I thought we needed this to come out of the camera
http://www.amazon.ca/U-FL-RP-SMA-Pigtai ... WiFi+Cable

oukenfold said:
themosstoy well what i can read you with 2 antenas you get 2.2 k, this is my questions, you get 2 antenas the SPW24 and the HELIAXIAL24, i guess you put the the spw24 antenna to one of the camara antennas right? the other remains as stock, and the HELIAXIAL24 you put it instead of one on the p2v repeater? Correct.

1.-can you tell me how did you o were did you put the spw24 antenna on the phantom for best coverage or range, Presently I taped it to one of the landing skids (see picture earlier in thread). Still thing of a more permanent solution that may allow me to safely land without hand catching.and i guees the same to the heliaxial 24 on the repaeter? I installed pigtail and have the helical attached to it. Presently it is just velcro to the repeater, but that is not good enough for me, so will be mounting the helical to the controller handle what other antenna you are using on the repater with the heliaxial? Stock internal antenna. I will probably replace it with another pigtail and maybe use a 5dbi whip for close in.

2.- what i read you are not using any amplifier right just antennas right? Correct, I have the amplifier and have done initial testing with it, but have not done any real testing yet, the to date results are all without amplification. I got the amplifier for penetration not for extra range. At this point the range is more limited by obstructions and battery life / flight time.

3.- do you have to point all the time the antenna with the phantom in flight? No less or more than stock, but yes, I do point in the direction I'm flying and when needed I use the radar function of the app.

4.- both of the antennas are RCHP? Yes, the antennas I added are both RHCP

thanks

You are welcome.

mr_3_0_5 said:
themosttoys said:

I disconnected the original (female to female) cable from the u.fl post and attached this. I did this so that I could easily reattach the original antenna if I wanted. When I settle on what I want as a more permanent solution, I'll probably detach it and just put a u'fl pigtail directly to the post, using rg178 cable (rather than the cheap 113 that I'm currently using).

now I'm confused
why is that wire needed?

That wire is not needed, I only installed it because I wanted to be able to swap back to the internal antenna easily. The pigtails at your link will work connected directly.

themosttoys said:
mr_3_0_5 said:
themosttoys said:

now I'm confused
why is that wire needed?

That wire is not needed, I only installed it because I wanted to be able to swap back to the internal antenna easily. The pigtails at your link will work connected directly.

so the wire you posted to is to connect to the antenna wire itself?
saves the trouble of going further in or what?
sorry haven't taken the camera apart yet

themosttoys said:
gpauk said:
Nice day here for a change -- clear and sunny. If it wasn't for the wind gusting to 45mph..... Sigh!!

2 miles is excellent though! I max out at 2.2km, but that's with antennas that don't need pointing which is my preference.
I have an antenna tracked used for amsat stuff.. I should probably try and subvert that for the PV!

For those with iffy wx, one thing I do to range test if the wx is crap is get a helper to drive the PV to a spot x km away, then fire it up remotely and hover.... using 2m handies for a back channel! :)

Hi gpauk, thanks. I too like omni's (each situation has it's tool.) However for distance flying there really is no benefit to omni's. When I have the time, I'll diagram this, but essentially, at distance you too have a directional antenna. For brief example, the popular 8db TPLink has a vertical beam width of 15 degrees which is a LOT smaller window (requiring better aim) than a comparable patch antenna (approx 60 to 70 degrees.) Also, greater than 70% of the 360 degree horizontal beam width is being wasted listening to an area that will never be used (essentially throwing away sensitivity and giving up free range.) Where closer in, I agree that omni's are a better choice, down range they will perform less and require better aim.
But as always, if it works for you, that's great, happy flying.

Yep -- we all do different stuff!! I often fly 360 degrees - ie all around my start location so horizontal omni works well for that, without having to point. And I'm fortunate to have miles and miles of empty space to fly into up here.
Just for interest though I'm going to test a simple reflector in the anechoic chamber sometime, see how the 9bBi type whip can be persuaded to perform into say a 120 degree horizontal beam...

I've seen (for work) some really neat electrically steerable patch antenna arrays made for the military - basically a flat panel that locks onto a signal and follows it over a large solid angle, and adjusts the directivity / gain to where the object is by altering the phasing of the patches in the array. Amazing kit but you can guess the sort of price tag...

themosttoys said:
gpauk said:
Nice day here for a change -- clear and sunny. If it wasn't for the wind gusting to 45mph..... Sigh!!

2 miles is excellent though! I max out at 2.2km, but that's with antennas that don't need pointing which is my preference.
I have an antenna tracked used for amsat stuff.. I should probably try and subvert that for the PV!

For those with iffy wx, one thing I do to range test if the wx is crap is get a helper to drive the PV to a spot x km away, then fire it up remotely and hover.... using 2m handies for a back channel! :)

Hi gpauk, thanks. I too like omni's (each situation has it's tool.) However for distance flying there really is no benefit to omni's. When I have the time, I'll diagram this, but essentially, at distance you too have a directional antenna. For brief example, the popular 8db TPLink has a vertical beam width of 15 degrees which is a LOT smaller window (requiring better aim) than a comparable patch antenna (approx 60 to 70 degrees.) Also, greater than 70% of the 360 degree horizontal beam width is being wasted listening to an area that will never be used (essentially throwing away sensitivity and giving up free range.) Where closer in, I agree that omni's are a better choice, down range they will perform less and require better aim.
But as always, if it works for you, that's great, happy flying.

Yep -- we all do different stuff!! I often fly 360 degrees - ie all around my start location so horizontal omni works well for that, without having to point. And I'm fortunate to have miles and miles of empty space to fly into up here.
Just for interest though I'm going to test a simple reflector in the anechoic chamber sometime, see how the 9bBi type whip can be persuaded to perform into say a 120 degree horizontal beam...

I've seen (for work) some really neat electrically steerable patch antenna arrays made for the military - basically a flat panel that locks onto a signal and follows it over a large solid angle, and adjusts the directivity / gain to where the object is by altering the phasing of the patches in the array. Amazing kit but you can guess the sort of price tag...

gpauk said:

The military gets all the best toys.

themosttoys said:
max.bex said:
Good thank you.such a fantastic group here!!! What about the gain compared to the original one?

This is the one going to install on the extender.what do you think?
http://www.cablematic.it/cercatore/am03 ... dBi/?pag=1
Thank you again,this is a incredible resource for a noob like me!

I have no direct experience with that antenna, but the spec sheet looks good.

Try it out and let us know how it works for you.

Happy flying

Will do for sure.do you think the 5.8 antenna as before (the 2.4/5.8) could give me a better range for the Rc? Thanks

max.bex said:
Will do for sure.do you think the 5.8 antenna as before (the 2.4/5.8) could give me a better range for the Rc? Thanks

It could. Certainly worth a try. Try it and let us know how it works for you. Happy flying.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

max.bex said:
Question:I'm going to use a 8dbi 2.4 to 5.8 antenna instead of the Rc original one.I'm a little confused about the real gain given by a 2.4 /5.8 antenna instead of a 5.8 specific one.what do you all think ? Thanks

Hi there. I have just done the same using 5dbi 2.4ghz omni antenna on 5.8ghz controller. The result is terrible. It almost half of standard one by distance and keep losing control. I think will just stick with the stock one for now.

themosttoys said:
HaM-73 said:
themosttoys said:
More pics:

Where did you find the male-male mini pci connector to join the 2 cables?

That's not a male to male cable it only acts as an extension.

leekawey said:
max.bex said:
Question:I'm going to use a 8dbi 2.4 to 5.8 antenna instead of the Rc original one.I'm a little confused about the real gain given by a 2.4 /5.8 antenna instead of a 5.8 specific one.what do you all think ? Thanks

Hi there. I have just done the same using 5dbi 2.4ghz omni antenna on 5.8ghz controller. The result is terrible. It almost half of standard one by distance and keep losing control. I think will just stick with the stock one for now.

Not using a 2,4 on the 5,8 controller. I'm going to use a 2.4/5.8 one. Did you take a look of the file? What do you think?

8dbi 2.4GHz wifi antenna + 7dbi 5.8 antenna just arrived.going to Mount and test them as soon as the sun will appear again here in Italy!
te9uquma.jpg

max.bex said:
8dbi 2.4GHz wifi antenna + 7dbi 5.8 antenna just arrived.going to Mount and test them as soon as the sun will appear again here in Italy!
te9uquma.jpg

Looks like the patch antennas inside the camera are CP (left hand) on the image that I saw. So, from my understanding is that using any linear antenna on the repeater or docooler will instantly loose 3 DBI, ie half range. A left hand CP antenna will be required to make this link efficient. Saying that, a high DBI linear patch antenna may still be worthwhile even after allowing for the 3 DBI mismatch. I have ordered the rh helical and rh skew planar per themostoys set up and plan to run the helical with the docooler repeater alongside 18dbi patch and 9 DBI omni. Will post results when I run the test in a few weeks time.

Also still looking at using linear patch with heading lock and servo to on the PV to keep pointing at the ground station.

Highcloud said:
max.bex said:
te9uquma.jpg

Looks like the patch antennas inside the camera are CP (left hand) on the image that I saw. So, from my understanding is that using any linear antenna on the repeater or docooler will instantly loose 3 DBI, ie half range. A left hand CP antenna will be required to make this link efficient. Saying that, a high DBI linear patch antenna may still be worthwhile even after allowing for the 3 DBI mismatch. I have ordered the rh helical and rh skew planar per themostoys set up and plan to run the helical with the docooler repeater alongside 18dbi patch and 9 DBI omni. Will post results when I run the test in a few weeks time.

Also still looking at using linear patch with heading lock and servo to on the PV to keep pointing at the ground station.

If the original one on the extender is 3dbi (just supposed,no way for me to know it) perhaps with this 8dbi I will still have a 2dbi extra gain.

max.bex said:
Highcloud said:
max.bex said:
te9uquma.jpg

If the original one on the extender is 3dbi (just supposed,no way for me to know it) perhaps with this 8dbi I will still have a 2dbi gain.

Did you ever see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEHzDi4 ... ata_player

If the original one on the extender is 3dbi (just supposed,no way for me to know it) perhaps with this 8dbi I will still have a 2dbi gain.

Inviato dal mio HTC One utilizzando Tapatalk[/quote]
Did you ever see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEHzDi4 ... ata_player

Inviato dal mio HTC One utilizzando Tapatalk[/quote]

by Highcloud » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:42 am

In theory yes, but you may loose distance to noise as cp rejects noise far better than linear.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl