Phantom 2 non vision on the way

Reaction score
Hey guys first time posting, but I've been poking around here for a couple months.

So I finally decided to pull the trigger and bought a P2 with gimbal from aerial media pros (don't have it yet; can't wait!). I'm pretty new to the RC scene. So I have a few questions for the more experienced guys/gals.

1. I think I'm going to purchase the fat shark predator v2 goggles soon. The ones I've looked at on Hobbyking (not sure I want to order from them) say they come with a transmitter. So I won't need the AVL58? or will I? I've also seen there is a UK online store with a cable that eliminates soldering the connection. Anybody know if there's anything like this for sale in the states? I have an IT background so soldering doesn't scare me, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

2. I'd also like to get iOSD working as well. Will the DJI iOSD Mark II On Screen Display Module work with the fat sharks; or is there a better option? I don't see why they wouldn't, but just have to ask. Also is this all I'd need or do I need special cables for it to avoid soldering?

3. If while flying low I lose line of sight, and shut off controller for return to home. Will the P2 just bee line to me and possibly run into something; or will it gain significant altitude before moving back towards me?

I think that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

tawd77 said:
The p2 will rise to 60ft altitude before returning to home.

And if you are already above 60' when it loses a signal, it will remain at the height you are currently at before it comes down.

CoppellDarryl said:
tawd77 said:
The p2 will rise to 60ft altitude before returning to home.

And if you are already above 60' when it loses a signal, it will remain at the height you are currently at before it comes down.

That's good to know. I was just imagining losing signal, and the phantom running into a tree or house while coming back to me. Another thing I just thought about is can you regain control of the phantom after it begins it's return to home. Say I'm on a smallish boat and I tell it to come back. I'd like to be able to take over to ensure it actually lands "in" the boat not beside it.

I'm not that worried about the radio waves from the Fatsharks. There are plenty of other things to worry about.

Mav456 said:
daustinhjr said:
Hey guys first time posting, but I've been poking around here for a couple months.

So I finally decided to pull the trigger and bought a P2 with gimbal from aerial media pros (don't have it yet; can't wait!). I'm pretty new to the RC scene. So I have a few questions for the more experienced guys/gals.

1. I think I'm going to purchase the fat shark predator v2 goggles soon. The ones I've looked at on Hobbyking (not sure I want to order from them) say they come with a transmitter. So I won't need the AVL58? or will I? I've also seen there is a UK online store with a cable that eliminates soldering the connection. Anybody know if there's anything like this for sale in the states? I have an IT background so soldering doesn't scare me, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

2. I'd also like to get iOSD working as well. Will the DJI iOSD Mark II On Screen Display Module work with the fat sharks; or is there a better option? I don't see why they wouldn't, but just have to ask. Also is this all I'd need or do I need special cables for it to avoid soldering?

3. If while flying low I lose line of sight, and shut off controller for return to home. Will the P2 just bee line to me and possibly run into something; or will it gain significant altitude before moving back towards me?

I just can't stop thinking those googles will give a brain tumor. It's such a high dose of radio waves right through your head

If the transmitter were on the goggles, your point might have merit. However, the goggles are only receiving the radio waves rather than transmitting. I would be surprised if adding a receiver on your head increases the ambient RF activity in which we are already exposed. Any scientists care to comment?

I live in the states and ordered the cable from firstpersonview two weeks ago and received it last week. The fatshark goggles usually come with a 250mw tx. This is what I have and soldered the wires, my first solder job, no problem. The fpv wire harness just gives me a cleaner set up connecting the mini iOSD and tx to the P2. Btw, I am getting about a mile range with stock rc tx and fatshark fpv setup.

I have purchased most of my fpv gear from fpvlabs.com and ReadyMadeRC.com, both stateside with quick delivery.

Regarding the mark ii osd vs the mini osd. There is huge price difference and from what I have read, the mark ii only gives you additional functionality to switch between two video sources, which probably is not practical on the P2.

Mav456 said:
daustinhjr said:

I just can't stop thinking those googles will give a brain tumor. It's such a high dose of radio waves right through your head

I hadn't thought about that :shock:

Ozon8r said:
I live in the states and ordered the cable from firstpersonview two weeks ago and received it last week. The fatshark goggles usually come with a 250mw tx. This is what I have and soldered the wires, my first solder job, no problem. The fpv wire harness just gives me a cleaner set up connecting the mini iOSD and tx to the P2. Btw, I am getting about a mile range with stock rc tx and fatshark fpv setup.

I have purchased most of my fpv gear from fpvlabs.com and ReadyMadeRC.com, both stateside with quick delivery.

Thanks Ozon8r! I think I have all the info I need now. I just ordered the cable from firstpersonview, and will probably go ahead and order the fatsharks in a few minutes. I'll definitely be going with the iOSD mini as I'll have only 1 video source on board.

Now it's time to play the waiting game. Phantom should be in my hands by Friday! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl