Payload Drop With Servo

Do you know an electrical engineer? I might know a guy that would be able to help us out with this!
emoji108.png
I know someone who may be able to help (maybe), but something like the following would also work (I think). No reason why it shouldn't!

Light Operated Relay Circuit

There are heaps of already made schematics available after doing a quick search. The only problem I would have is the plastics side of it. Even if I bought a 3D printer, I am not good at designing those awesome little plastic modules that you made. I wouldn't even know where to start hehe

there is 2.0 volts dc applied to gimble motor when u lower and raise it. not sure what amps it will supply. problem is then you would not have a way to separate the servo from the gimbal . i have a way to power it ok with 2 volts but no way to keep from operating both at same time. thats why i use separate controller to do mine plus 3 sets of light controls. its like you dont have to hold both controllers at same time anyway. just a lot easier to use second system to keep from modified the drone electronics.

there is 2.0 volts dc applied to gimble motor when u lower and raise it. not sure what amps it will supply. problem is then you would not have a way to separate the servo from the gimbal . i have a way to power it ok with 2 volts but no way to keep from operating both at same time. thats why i use separate controller to do mine plus 3 sets of light controls. its like you dont have to hold both controllers at same time anyway. just a lot easier to use second system to keep from modified the drone electronics.

If i understand, you are wanting to use the power from the drone to power the servo? Or am I misreading it. sorry.

there is 2.0 volts dc applied to gimble motor when u lower and raise it. not sure what amps it will supply. problem is then you would not have a way to separate the servo from the gimbal .

Interesting concept. I wonder if there's a way to only active the servo when the camera reaches its furthest point (ends)

Oh and about the above circuit, we can just use the relay to activate the servo

I didnt design that 3d file, i only downloaded it and printed it. however, i have a 3d printer and i can print and mail you what you need since you are helping out with my project :) But how could we control the servo to only open to a certain degree when it detects the leds are off and then close when they are back on? this might be the tricky part

But how could we control the servo to only open to a certain degree when it detects the leds are off and then close when they are back on? this might be the tricky part

Really need a wheel switch like the camera tilt. At the least we may be able to at least have an open and closed controlled from the air. Maybe we'll make some inquiries and see what we can come up with

but when i want to drop my load, i want the camera strait down so i can see where it went.

That could be the 'open" trigger, when the camera is straight down. TBH I would prefer to use a seperate battery system though, without having to open the bird up, if possible

I didnt design that 3d file, i only downloaded it and printed it. however, i have a 3d printer and i can print and mail you what you need since you are helping out with my project :)

Oh and thanks heaps for the offer. This is what the hobby is all about, trying to do things yourself, like making the drop mechanism. It's about the satisfaction afterwards, IMO

Oh and thanks heaps for the offer. This is what the hobby is all about, trying to do things yourself, like making the drop mechanism. It's about the satisfaction afterwards, IMO

Definitely! Plus it will save me money i can use for another battery lol. but i also do want to use an external battery and not have to tap into the birds power supply. i ordered a servo, battery, and a couple light sensors from china so when they finally come here from the slow boat ill be able to figure out what i can do.

Just thinking out loud here about your requirement
But how could we control the servo to only open to a certain degree when it detects the leds are off and then close when they are back on?

It may be possible to have a second switch straight after the light activated switch (which triggers the servo), which you can use to adjust the servo motor. So say when you press C1 will turn off the LED's which will activate (or give power) to the second switch (thumb wheel or 2 way PTT) which will let you control the servo motor.

I'd have to run that past someone that knows what they're talking about hehe

Just thinking out loud here about your requirement

It may be possible to have a second switch straight after the light activated switch (which triggers the servo), which you can use to adjust the servo motor. So say when you press C1 will turn off the LED's which will activate (or give power) to the second switch (thumb wheel or 2 way PTT) which will let you control the servo motor.

I'd have to run that past someone that knows what they're talking about hehe

well if you could run it past someone who would have a good idea for what we would need to do then just reply back here and we can get going with the next phase

Vin/switch is just the remotely-triggered power from your front LED input.

R & Rb should be around 4.7K

That should be high enough to keep from loading down the power supply from the LED line. Voltage at transistor base during “on” condition needs to be 1 volt or higher. If it falls below that, circuit will stutter on-off-on-off-on-off rapidly(MHz). Go to smaller value resistors(R=Rb). Diode protects transistor from inductive spike when relay is de-energized. I copied this pic from a tutorial on the internet, my computer drawing skills aren’t too good.

Use a 2N2222 transistor.

this will work on your lights to turn on/off your motor without using the crapy light sensor board.

YouTube has some camera gimbal triggered release videos. Camera points down, hits a mechanism, then drops the payload.
There is also a device that attaches onto the landing gear that looks like a maze. You wiggle the Phantom from side to side and the pin follows the maze until the opening and then drops. Super simple.

I'm in the design phase for a payload drop device that would utilize a small optical position sensor to detect when the camera is pointed directly downward; this would trigger a variable (set before flight) countdown timer that would then cycle a servo to release the payload. Additionally, if I move the camera out of the direct down position before the countdown is complete, it would abort the release and I could then attempt again. This unit would have independent power and would require no permanent modification of drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing