Payload Drop With Servo

so far no one has posted any blueprints on how to make one other than a fee circuit designs. one guy here posted a circuit he drew out to make and ive been debating just buying a cheap Arduino from china and program it to do what i want since i cant figure this out.
Yea like I said I have a slight understanding of electronics but that is straight up Chinese to me.

My post #60 briefly explains that servos are not controlled by a basic D.C. Voltage. They have three wires.
Yes two are the D.C. Supply but the third is how they are commanded to position. Google servo PWM to learn more.

My post #60 briefly explains that servos are not controlled by a basic D.C. Voltage. They have three wires.
Yes two are the D.C. Supply but the third is how they are commanded to position. Google servo PWM to learn more.
Yea the one I have does have 3 wires orange,red,brown. It seems to work when I hook up red to positive and brown to negative

Guys I just came across this and love the idea been thinking about doing something like this for awhile. I am and Electronic Engineer that has played with electronics all my life. I am going to crash on it today to see if I can make it quickly, I will be using an Arduino that can control an servo. I think I have all that junk.

My criteria:
  • Must not have to open up drone.
  • Self powered.
  • A flight mission must be able to trigger it
I will put it on my Phantom 3 standard, also have a Pro.

Back to you on the progress.

First post, though I've been around for a while...

It seems that a better idea than a servo would be a push/pull solenoid. In this case, a pull solenoid would fit the bill. Solenoids are available in a variety of sizes/power configurations and should be able to be tied into the Phantom's on/off circuit for the lights. Here's a link to one such solenoid on Amazon. Do a Google search for push/pull solenoids and see what's available.
Solenoid.jpg

I agree a solenoid would be easier than a microprocessor aided design for non-programmers and require fewer parts and this weight.
But... there's not enough power available in the LED drive circuitry directly/alone so some type of interface would be required. Based on my reading over the years many have used a photo-based one while others have been successful with a switching transistor or similar scheme.

Guys I just came across this and love the idea been thinking about doing something like this for awhile. I am and Electronic Engineer that has played with electronics all my life. I am going to crash on it today to see if I can make it quickly, I will be using an Arduino that can control an servo. I think I have all that junk.

My criteria:
  • Must not have to open up drone.
  • Self powered.
  • A flight mission must be able to trigger it
I will put it on my Phantom 3 standard, also have a Pro.

Back to you on the progress.

Hi DougLeppard!

Yes, this is exactly what I and everyone else are looking at. Having this controlled when my drone is out in the distance and would be too far for an rc signal from a regular rc car controller, plus it is one additional thing to carry along when out and about. If you read the posts another gentleman posted a circuit he sketched up but he drew it out with an AC battery? not really sure. But getting this to open all the way then stop when the bar is fully opened when a light sensor detects the LED's are off (controlled via DJI Go app) and then to close the servo when the LED's are turned back on. An external battery would be preferred in this project. I do believe a 9v battery can power an Arduino. But please let us all know when you have any updates. I'll attach the circuit design.

aa83faa029175589494d5b8a24f155b5.jpg

-Blake

First post, though I've been around for a while...

It seems that a better idea than a servo would be a push/pull solenoid. In this case, a pull solenoid would fit the bill. Solenoids are available in a variety of sizes/power configurations and should be able to be tied into the Phantom's on/off circuit for the lights. Here's a link to one such solenoid on Amazon. Do a Google search for push/pull solenoids and see what's available.
View attachment 81818

Not a bad idea, I might have to look for a cheapo one of these on eBay and buy it from china.

I agree a solenoid would be easier than a microprocessor aided design for non-programmers and require fewer parts and this weight.
But... there's not enough power available in the LED drive circuitry directly/alone so some type of interface would be required. Based on my reading over the years many have used a photo-based one while others have been successful with a switching transistor or similar scheme.

I think if we can control this off of an external battery and hook up a light sensor to this, it could work. Someone posted this electrical circuit that I think could work.
80d93f6081438fda16f9cf822f794169.jpg

Yea. This is the idea or method I was referring to. Never built one as I don't have a need currently and this remains isolated from a/c electricals. Looks like a winner.

Yea. This is the idea or method I was referring to. Never built one as I don't have a need currently and this remains isolated from a/c electricals. Looks like a winner.

All we would do for this one is replace the led with the solenoid. I looked on eBay but they didn't look like it would have enough of a pull to open it far enough to make it work. But I'm not sure.

Well, part current draw specs would need be investigated, But why replace the LED instead of swapping the relay for a solenoid?
Eliminate the LED completely unless you need a visual.

OK I designed what should happen but I do not have all the parts.

Design is as follows:
Put on the landing gear IR beam transmitter on one side and receiver on other. When the camera points down it breaks the beam. The Micro detects the change and moves the servo that pulls a pin. Only three parts plus the battery. Wiring simple and programming not hard.

I sourced them all from the same place to make it cheaper (Ada Fruit)

Micro - Arduino Pro Mini 328 3.3V. Cost $10 weighs 2G.
Arduino Pro Mini 328 - 3.3V/8 MHz ID: 2377 - $9.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
Servo - TowerPro SG92R - $6 weight 9g
Micro servo ID: 169 - $5.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
Beam - IR Break Beam Sensor 3 - Cost $2 weight 6g+
IR Break Beam Sensor - 3mm LEDs ID: 2167 - $1.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Plus 1S 3.7V battery

Cost and weight additions will be header to program micro, possible box for setup, connections for dropping device and battery connector.

With base price of $20+ and weight being low this looks good.

My biggest concern is will the IR bean detectors be thrown off by sunlight, ways to prevent that. I think the servo should be strong enough.

You can get most of the parts cheaper at Amazon except for beam detector.

Give feedback on concept. I will order parts tomorrow. Willing to program the Micros and send them to you once the design works. I will document the whole thing.

I am not sure on the whole servo pulling the pin setup, can someone else work on that using this servo. You can get packs of them on Amazon they have good ratings.

I have a very heavy time crunch so will not have time work on this again until next Sunday and maybe not that day because of mothers day.

Your choice. Doesn't need to be a beam-break as an IR transmit/receive via relection is an option and in one package.
Lots of ways to accomplish your scheme with IR.
Have fun!!!

Your choice. Doesn't need to be a beam-break as an IR transmit/receive via relection is an option and in one package.
Lots of ways to accomplish your scheme with IR.
Have fun!!!
I looked at those also could be an option.

This is a rough of what it could be, just to show the parts. BTW I have not done calculations of power needs but it is small. I was planning to use the 1S I have around in plenty they 180 MAH.

Drone drop_bb.jpg

Hi, just thought I'd mention that I successfully made a functional payload release mechanism for my Xiro drone, but it would also work perfectly for a P3 because you can also control the LEDs remotely. I went through the design, parts and testing in a YouTube video:

Basically it was an LDR that was sensed by an Arduino Nano, and powered by a separate 1S lipo. It worked perfectly. Cheers Adam.

I was thinking of doing a payload drop for water balloons ... was thinking of using my current xt60 power mod and putting in a voltage down step regulator to 5v where I can power a light detecting relay hooked to a servo. Gonna use the leds to switch it. I hope to put the relay and switch in a small box and zip tie to a leg, mount the servo under the vps. Thoughts?

Photoresistor Module DC 5V 12V 24V Light Detector Automatic Control Relay Switch | eBay

Mini DC-DC 12-24V To 5V 3A Adjustable Step Down Power Module Buck Converter | eBay

Payload Servo Release for Drone Fishing DROP Mechanism | eBay

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl