Parachute Recovery System

Initial testing of flight with phantom sporting the hubsan parachute recovery system are a success. No drop tests yet, but the 200g hanging off her arse didn't seem to affect her at all. Baby got back and she knows how to use it lol. Mild wind today, started gentle at first and then started flying more and more agressively (in P mode NOT Att, in manual you could surely flip her if desired). By the end of test I armed the parachute and removed the safety pin. I tried my damdest to get her to go past 80 deg and pop the chute, or get her to go arse over tea kettle with the extra weight - she would not budge! Steady as a rock in hover, nimble as always, and no apparent loss of flight or manuverability at all. I tried her against the wind, with it, cross wind. Full throttle up to speed and then full reverse, spins, sudden turns, raise/lower at the same time - all full response and no hesitation. And the chute did not pop until I landed her and tipped her past 80 deg. Stay tuned for tarp drop test from 50'

Oh I forgot to update real details on weight, material etc. So yes it's Big and tall! 190g, 200g after I added bolts for mounting to thicker legs. Parachute is massive 49", and cloth, but more nylon I think and slippery, so it shoots out and unfurls great. Height means it will have to be mouthed quite far off the back end and will affect center of gravity. However, mars mini 2 mounts on the side. I think I would rather have the weight front to back, than on the side?? Mars mini2 is 100g, mounting bracket looks light, probably 20g?? and mayday is 14g, so about 134g total (estimated). But only 36" parachute, and about $320US for all three items needed to do the same as hubsan chute which is $155US

Reactions: J.James
I'll have to throw every thing on a scale again to be sure. But if Im remembering right from last week. The total weight I got on the mars mini v2,mayday + 200mah bat with the p3 mount weighed in at 144grams.

So you got more chute with 10 grams less weight. Not too shabby.

I'll have to throw every thing on a scale again to be sure. But if Im remembering right from last week. The total weight I got on the mars mini v2,mayday + 200mah bat with the p3 mount weighed in at 144grams.

So you got more chute with 10 grams less weight. Not too shabby.
Nope the opposite unfortunately. I was estimating the mars 2 weight with all accessories. The Hubsan parachute system comes in at 200g with bolts for mounting (190g on it's own). So I'm an extra 56g. But with it rear mount instead of side, 13" more parachute, and savings of close to $200US, I'm happy with the Hubsan I think.

Oh wait I see were I got it wrong when I seen 134g. I was thinking it was the weight of the hubsan system instead of that being the est weight of the mars system.

Well boys and girls - here it is. Proof that a phantom can drop 50m unscathed with a hubsan parachute!

outstanding.

are you able to upload / post the log from the highest flight? I am wondering whether it can be determined:
- How much vertical distance is required between engine cut & deceleration to whatever the rate of decent is with the chute
- What was the rate of decent with the chute open (reason being I'd be interested to compare that to the 36" chute of the mars)

The above would help to understand at what minimum height does the chute have it's full effect (I would say impact but that could be confusing) and whether it would be worth my time to investigate a thinner but larger chute for the mars I plan to install (e.g. is there a meaningful difference in velocity when the drone hits the ground between a 36 vs. 48" chute, and what might that translate to in terms of damage (or not)). Of course each situation is different, I get that, but in approximate terms.

Thanks for taking the risk to do what you did (and time!) and posting it as well .. really great.

@Carman Doan Thank you for putting your equipment on the testing field. The video gives me confidence the parachute works the way it was intended too. However, looking carefully it looks like the parachute doesn't have enough drag to slow the phantom down on descent. I'm not sure if its because the day you tested was windy, but I felt my rear end pucker when I saw how fast the ac came down and hit the ground.

What about insurance instead?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

put the mars mini v2 on this weekend and very happy now to have something that will help minimize damage (to the drone or anything below).. am going to try to see if a 45" chute will fit in the tube (vs. the 36" that comes with it). did one flight with it on and didn't seem to have any balance issues at all (although I'd love to find a way to see how much harder the motors on that side have to work and whether that's a problem). the chute seems to have no problem deploying in my test, which is good.

20160221_200014.jpg

Well boys and girls - here it is. Proof that a phantom can drop 50m unscathed with a hubsan parachute!
THAT was frickin AWESOME!:eek::cool::D

Really great work and thank you for risking your P3x for science!!o_O

I know that attaching the Hubsan PRS makes the P3x look a wee bit "less cool" but for the $$ I'm willing to make that sacrifice... maybe painting the device white will improve it to at least "lipstick on a pig" quality.. :confused::p

Reactions: davestern2

whatever parachute u may use. use the manual trigger..the mayday board may prematurely deploy the parachute.

I just bought the mars few hours and that was my first flight after installing the mars. I took off upright and at 100 meter i stopped and slowly turning around 360 degrees for footage. But all of sudden the mayday board deployed the parachute while the drone still on the air.. later the shop who installed agreed that it was amazing that the mayday deployed the parachute where it only supposed to do that when the drone stopped or falls like a rock. its the auto trigger board failures. The shop told me they will try to repair and i m still waiting for their call.

Of course there is a manual trigger device which i wanted to buy...but the shop told me try to the mayday board..cheaper and easier. for every mars parachute it has the manual trigger. but depends if the shop u buying did not order it since the mayday board is cheaper. to me..its **** risky and i never will install it..my drone was flying well till this mars came and damaged it..hmmm

Whatever parachute u may use. use the manual trigger..the Mayday board may prematurely deploy the parachute.

First off, sorry about the crash! I know that this is very frustrating, and I want to make sure that you are completely taken care of. Send an email to [email protected] or [email protected] so that we can figure out exactly what happened. Usually, the issue is a bad battery or calibration. (It sounds like it was calibrated incorrectly by the distributor.)

If you send us the contact information for the dealer that is managing your repair we will arrange to cover the costs.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl