Parachute Recovery System

If it was some how wired in to be powered from the phantoms battery it would seem it would have to get pretty run down to go below the low voltage cut off voltage of 3 point some thing volts.
and from the video it looks as if they phantom was still powered on the whole time even after the chute deployed. So it would seem that it should of not been from the voltage being below the cut out voltage.

I have a separate 200ma single cell battery that is used to power the mayday completely independent from the flight battery in the phantom. If I just arm the mayday and let it sit it goes for a bit over 4 hours before the tiny battery gets so low that it starts shutting off the mayday then after it shuts off and the voltage rises back up over the low voltage cut off point it will try to power back on and each time it does that the relay will chatter or move some and it will deploy.

Dear all, The mayday board maker was fast to act and has contacted me after watching the footage i uploaded in mars parachute forum and told me that they will cover the cost of the repair. This is great news and they also told me the reason was not that the device failed but they found out from the device data that it was not properly calibrated.so, the issue is solve that the improper setup was to be blame not the device.

Last edited:
Reactions: J.James

Hi Alex,

Our team contacted the shop and sent you a direct message through email on the 2nd (Wednesday). We talked to the vendor that set up your Mayday, and the cost of your repair should be covered completely. We will also be sending the vendor a modified copy of our diagnostics software to figure out what happened when it deployed. (The Mayday stores the data for every deployment in its memory.)

Now, I would like to point out that in the statements above you never mentioned anything about personally setting up the Mayday or learning how to calibrate/run through basic use for it on your own. With a device such as the Mayday knowing how it works and how to go through the basic setup steps is incredibly important.
By looking at the video shared it appears as though at some point before takeoff the device was calibrated incorrectly in the wrong axis of orientation. Since it was calibrated in the wrong orientation, the quick 360-degree turn caused the mayday to deploy the parachute. (I know that this alone is a design flaw, and we are working on a firmware patch to make sure that a bad calibration can never cause a false deployment again.) There are quite a lot of Maydays in use all over the world and of the very few that have had issues we found that it was essentially always due to improper setup.

Freefall is only one of the many different parts to our crash detection algorithm. You can read more about the Mayday on our website here: www.maydayboards.com

Once again, my apologies for all the trouble and I hope that you can get back in the air as soon as possible!
Hi Kyle, few minutes ago, i have change my title in youtube and added some new statement...and i will go to all my forums to add the same...please read below....what i added n will add. thank you very much for ur kind help..

Dear all, The mayday board maker was fast to act and has contacted me after watching the footage i uploaded in mars parachute forum and told me that they will cover the cost of the repair. This is great news and they also told me the reason was not that the device failed but they found out from the device data that it was not properly calibrated..so, the issue is solve that the improper setup was to be blame not the device.

Last edited:
Hi Carmen,
d

Hi Carmen I sent you a PM
Thanks for this great information... this is very good to safe our birds...since deploying parachute at 50m drifted the drone far...amagine if we accidently deployed at 100 or 200meters..i m sure it may drop 1 miles away from us..tks

you can go with 2 options the links have the cost out for you.

Option 1. is this link
MARS P2 Lite | Mars Parachutes

or option 2
MARS MINI V2 | Mars Parachutes
Phantom 1 & 2 MINI Mounting Plate | Mars Parachutes

you can use an aftermarket radio system or the Mayday Board for triggering the parachute system
Mayday | Mars Parachutes

Thank you very much. Mine is Phantom 3 advance and the distributor in Chile used the
MARS P2 Lite for me and the mayday. Mayday board Maker informed me that the mayday board was not calibrated properly that is why it prematurely deployed the parachute. But sincerely, i m too afraid to use the mayday board but will get the manual device that i can wait and trigger when the time comes. another thing about the weakness of mayday is...if it fell from 50 meters then it will drop at 50 to 70 meters from u. if it deployed at 400 meters then your bird will flu 1 of 2 miles away from u n it may fell so far into river, lake or even jungles n someone house n u may lose it too..since the wind can take it far...u know the parachute.. so, manual trigger will be the best since u can wait at about 100 meters distance and pull the trigger. please correct me. anyway, after what happened to me.. i m **** afraid now...

Hi Kyle, few minutes ago, i have change my title in youtube and added some new statement...and i will go to all my forums to add the same...please read below....what i added n will add. thank you very much for ur kind help..

Dear all, The mayday board maker was fast to act and has contacted me after watching the footage i uploaded in mars parachute forum and told me that they will cover the cost of the repair. This is great news and they also told me the reason was not that the device failed but they found out from the device data that it was not properly calibrated..so, the issue is solve that the improper setup was to be blame not the device.
Hi kyle, are u there? busy i m sure but please can u please urgently open ur email n reply. Thanks...

you can go with 2 options the links have the cost out for you.

Option 1. is this link
MARS P2 Lite | Mars Parachutes

or option 2
MARS MINI V2 | Mars Parachutes
Phantom 1 & 2 MINI Mounting Plate | Mars Parachutes

you can use an aftermarket radio system or the Mayday Board for triggering the parachute system
Mayday | Mars Parachutes
I decided to install the Mars parachute but this time I m buying the manual device which will allow me to trigger when I m sure the drone is falling..

Does it effect the vision positioning system ?
I dont think it will effect the VPS since the parachute and the hardware are installed at the side ways not below or above or even on top of the drones...so far there are 1000s of drones with parachute and none complaint about GPS or VPS problems due to parachute.

Well boys and girls - here it is. Proof that a phantom can drop 50m unscathed with a hubsan parachute!
So update on things. I'm going commercial finally, and one of the concerns was if insurance companies would accept the hubsan parachute on my P3 and cover me for commercial operations (a lot of guys said they would likely decline any special mods like this). Good news, just got approved for insurance today and NO issue with parachute. I'm glad, because now that I've seen it in action and know it can save my rig, and damage to other property or people, I'd feel naked flying without it. Thought I would share in case anyone else is wondering about commercial work and parachute mods.

Reactions: Jbundy63
Any word yet? This seems like the simplest and therefore most likely to work solution, especially for the price!! I really want to see if you guys can come up with a mount that works!!
Has anyone came up with a decent mounting method ? or know of someone who can 3d print a mount ?

btw I have a mars mini phantom 3 mount cheap to uk.

Has anyone came up with a decent mounting method ? or know of someone who can 3d print a mount ?

btw I have a mars mini phantom 3 mount cheap to uk.

Carefully heat bend the legs in the center inside to just short of 45 degrees (webbing will fold and almost touch). remove leg mount thumb screws and drill a small hole through front and back of leg clap. Use a 6/32 bolt, washers, and nuts to bolt clap around phantom's legs. You may want to shorten bolt once you are sure of length. The canister will be very tight under battery, in fact you will have to remove canister or use a flat head to gently pry battery release to swap batteries. When complete unit should be only a couple of degrees off level. I will try to upload picks later. Can't right now, I disassembled phantom for paint :)

Thanks for that , I've ordered some longer legs to help with clearance and will post pics when it's fitted . Some pics of yours would be good [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that , I've ordered some longer legs to help with clearance and will post pics when it's fitted . Some pics of yours would be good
emoji16.png

20160416_084954.jpg
20160416_084944.jpg

Reactions: pete76uk
Just installed the hubsan parachute to my p3a ,didn't need longer legs after all.

I installed the mars mini mount and used nuts and bolts to secure (had to take parachute apart)

I gave it a quick test flight in the garden and it has not affected the control of the aircraft .Its too windy here to
try a proper flight.

A bit of black tape to cover the bolts and it doesn't look too bad .Its never going to look totally professional without a purpose made mounting system but I'm quite pleased with the result and peace of mind it gives.

Attachments

• IMG_0677.JPG
    IMG_0677.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 454

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members