Parabolic signal reflectors Do they work?

I have a WiFi signal booster that provides 10x more power to the WiFi signal but I have seen tests of these and they do make a significant difference. The best I have seen is a 40% increase in range.
Hi, How do you do that, attached to the RC? May you send a picture please?

All I can say is that now I am able to fly at the same places where I could not fly before. At the same exact spots I was getting weak signal messages until I got completely disconnected.

Hello all
There seem to be varying types of "Windsurfers" available, some plastic/copper, plastic/aluminium and some all aluminium, £3.99 > £24.99?
Which is best?
Ta

People have different opinions. Some say copper works best. Some say it doesn't matter but what's important is the surface is smooth. I wouldn't fret about it.

Reactions: Casper`s P4
And you get WAY more radiation exposure in an airplane than anything else under normal circumstances, btw. I think an average flight is roughly equivalent to 5 - 10 chest X-rays.

This forum is not the place to start discussing radiation exposure. Radio waves are NOT the same as radiation. Radiowaves are in the range of one meter long. X-rays or cosmic radiation is 1 nanometer. There is ZERO scientific evidence that confirms problems with radio wave exposure.
And with respect to cosmic radiation in airplanes,
Friedberg W, Copeland K, Duke FE, O'Brien K 3rd, Darden EB Jr. Radiation exposure during air travel: Guidance provided by the FAA for air carrier crews. Health Phys 79(5):591–595; 2000.

• Seattle to Portland: 0.03 mSv per 100 block hours
  • New York to Chicago: 0.39 mSv per 100 block hours
  • Los Angeles to Honolulu: 0.26 mSv per 100 block hours
  • London to New York: 0.51 mSv per 100 block hours
  • Athens to New York: 0.63 mSv per 100 block hours
  • Tokyo to New York: 0.55 mSv per 100 block hours
a chest x-ray is .1 msv.

Just information that is correct, not based on internet folklore and myth.

Man do they ever work. I hit 18K using mine the other day....HUGE difference over stock. Even if you don't want to fly out of sight it will redirect the signal being sent towards you and back at the aircraft so it will help when flying near homes and trees that can weaken your signal. I even tried upgrading to both versions of the MAXX type antennas and ended up sending them back since they did not do any better for me...they only cost about 12 bucks shipped. Probably the first upgrade I would recommend to any pilot.

This forum is not the place to start discussing radiation exposure. Radio waves are NOT the same as radiation. Radiowaves are in the range of one meter long. X-rays or cosmic radiation is 1 nanometer. There is ZERO scientific evidence that confirms problems with radio wave exposure.
And with respect to cosmic radiation in airplanes,
Friedberg W, Copeland K, Duke FE, O'Brien K 3rd, Darden EB Jr. Radiation exposure during air travel: Guidance provided by the FAA for air carrier crews. Health Phys 79(5):591–595; 2000.

• Seattle to Portland: 0.03 mSv per 100 block hours
  • New York to Chicago: 0.39 mSv per 100 block hours
  • Los Angeles to Honolulu: 0.26 mSv per 100 block hours
  • London to New York: 0.51 mSv per 100 block hours
  • Athens to New York: 0.63 mSv per 100 block hours
  • Tokyo to New York: 0.55 mSv per 100 block hours
a chest x-ray is .1 msv.

Just information that is correct, not based on internet folklore and myth.

Oh. I see. I just got trolled in the PhantomPilots forum.
You're irritated that someone (me) made a casual comment that wasn't specifically correct, and then went on to list by line item what IS specifically correct (AFTER noting that this isn't a place to "start discussing radiation exposure"). And it's not just "cosmic" radiation one gets exposed to in an airplane, it's SOLAR radiation (to be specific), unless one is flying at night, of course.

This isn't science class, MGS9000. We're not working on solutions, titrations, or the mystery of quantum entanglement here. No one is quoting "internet folklore and myth". Take a few deep breaths and don't get all verklempt over it.

Reactions: harleydg and Opfor
Oh. I see. I just got trolled in the PhantomPilots forum.
You're irritated that someone (me) made a casual comment that wasn't specifically correct, and then went on to list by line item what IS specifically correct (AFTER noting that this isn't a place to "start discussing radiation exposure"). And it's not just "cosmic" radiation one gets exposed to in an airplane, it's SOLAR radiation (to be specific), unless one is flying at night, of course.

This isn't science class, MGS9000. We're not working on solutions, titrations, or the mystery of quantum entanglement here. No one is quoting "internet folklore and myth". Take a few deep breaths and don't get all verklempt over it.

If your inside the plane you don't need to worry about the Chemtrails.

Sent from my Satellite Phone using PhantomPilots

Yes. Actually, scientifically incorrect.

Really? You need to keep this going?

Okay ... do tell me what I stated that was "scientifically incorrect".
I did say this: "I THINK an average flight is ROUGHLY equivalent to 5 - 10 chest X-rays." (caps added for emphasis). True, that statement is not specifically correct, but then notice the 2 caveats I threw in there - "think" and "roughly" - to make it clear (to most people) that I wasn't trying to write a science paper, but was making casual conversation.

And I never made any connection between solar radiation and electromagnetic radiation. You inferred what was not implied. The comment about airplanes was a direct response to someone else commenting on the subject.

Electromagnetic radiation comes from many sources at many different wavelengths and signal strengths (BOTH of which are important to consider), and some has been shown to be harmful to biological tissues and DNA. Ultraviolet light, for example. Microwave radiation for another. The signal that comes from an average RC unit is not as strong as either of those, but until it can be objectively shown to be harmless, I see no problem in taking extra precautions.
Also, speaking as a medical professional, there is also the matter of accumulative exposure and duration which figures into anything that has the potential to do harm to the body. One candy bar may merely raise your blood sugar rapidly, for example, but eat a dozen candy bars a day long enough and you'll be diabetic before you know it.

Just a thought here. It does seem like these 'very cost efficient' windsurfers or reflectors or whatever you want to call them do make a difference, indeed an improvement (I can vouch for that to a certain extent now I've tried them a little). I do think you have to be more careful or precise with how and where you point the reflected beams as I think they are more narrow than what the stock antennas transmit. I wonder if that is why DJI don't fit them as standard? after all they do seem to improve matters somewhat, but presumably a raw beginner may have a possible problem? what do you think?o_O

Just a thought here. It does seem like these 'very cost efficient' windsurfers or reflectors or whatever you want to call them do make a difference, indeed an improvement (I can vouch for that to a certain extent now I've tried them a little). I do think you have to be more careful or precise with how and where you point the reflected beams as I think they are more narrow than what the stock antennas transmit. I wonder if that is why DJI don't fit them as standard? after all they do seem to improve matters somewhat, but presumably a raw beginner may have a possible problem? what do you think?o_O

I have them on my p3p and I can fly in a 180 degree pattern in front of me at up to about 2000 ft without pointing directly at drone. Any further I point them straight to bird and consistently get over 2 miles and this is in my neighborhood. Either beam is not that narrow at closer range or signal is being bounced off of homes. Anyway the windsurfers make a huge difference!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've seen loads of ad's for these reflectors to put on antenna, does anyone really know if they actually do any good?

Not that I want to fly miles out of sight (not a good idea in my mind) but a better signal (if it works) has to be a plus , and safer for all.View attachment 62703 .

Any comments appreciated.:)
They work for me. I've had mine for a few days and reached a personal best distance yesterday. It is a fairly unobstructed area though. I may have been able to go further but panicked when I lost the signal for a few seconds. I turned around at that point.

If you decide to go this route, I recommend getting a set that is hinged. I originally bought a set that is two separate pieces and they are a pain to keep positioned correctly on the stock antenna.

This is the one that I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EWYQKWQ/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    828.2 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member