Parabolic signal reflectors Do they work?

Reaction score
I've seen loads of ad's for these reflectors to put on antenna, does anyone really know if they actually do any good?

Not that I want to fly miles out of sight (not a good idea in my mind) but a better signal (if it works) has to be a plus , and safer for all.
parabolic.jpg

Any comments appreciated.:)

I have a WiFi signal booster that provides 10x more power to the WiFi signal but I have seen tests of these and they do make a significant difference. The best I have seen is a 40% increase in range.

This would not work the same for the P4 transmitter since it has two antennas. The reflected radio waves would reflect differently. Notice a quick video that I did showing that any beam reflected from the antenna will come straight out. Notice as the laser moves how it still keeps the antenna centerline the same. This means the parabola shape is correct.

Your version would reflect the beam who knows where!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes they do work and they are commonly referred to as windsurfers. Your signal however is a lot more directional, so be sure to point your tx in the general direction of the bird.

Sent from my FEVER using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Fishie
Yes they do work and they are commonly referred to as windsurfers. Your signal however is a lot more directional, so be sure to point your tx in the general direction of the bird.

Sent from my FEVER using PhantomPilots mobile app

And up!! The problem with the transmitter design is that unless you angle the transmitter up, the tablet gets in the way and wants to push them down, thereby defeating the purpose for a more focused beam.

I've read tons of reviews all saying they work.
I bought a pair, but not for increased range as much as reduced exposure to the radio waves. You're holding that controller pretty close to your body and the antennae are sending out signal in all directions. We've all heard about health risks associated with repeated exposure to radio waves, so I figured these little things would cut down on that. Better signal to the drone and increased range is a bonus.

I JUST got the Ph4, mind you, and I've only taken it out once for an initial flight (Beginner's Mode), so I haven't had an opportunity to test how well they work for me.

I bought a pair, but not for increased range as much as reduced exposure to the radio waves. You're holding that controller pretty close to your body and the antennae are sending out signal in all directions. We've all heard about health risks associated with repeated exposure to radio waves, so I figured these little things would cut down on that. Better signal to the drone and increased range is a bonus.

I JUST got the Ph4, mind you, and I've only taken it out once for an initial flight (Beginner's Mode), so I haven't had an opportunity to test how well they work for me.

I'm sure you get far more radiation out in the sun, flying in an airplane, sitting in your house with your wi-if on, or even talking on the cell phone during the course of a day.

The Phantom 4 only has a 200mw output (guessing that is 400mw total because of the two antennas. Nothing compared to other emissions out there.

Reactions: superjoe75

I find wearing an aluminum hat negates the effect of the radio waves. Just kidding, welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm sure you get far more radiation out in the sun, flying in an airplane, sitting in your house with your wi-if on, or even talking on the cell phone during the course of a day.

The Phantom 4 only has a 200mw output (guessing that is 400mw total because of the two antennas. Nothing compared to other emissions out there.

Perhaps, but anytime you go out in the sun (to fly a drone, for example), you should have sunscreen on.
I don't fly in airplanes anymore, if I can help it. Just TOO MUCH hassle. And you get WAY more radiation exposure in an airplane than anything else under normal circumstances, btw. I think an average flight is roughly equivalent to 5 - 10 chest X-rays.
I don't talk much on my phone because people think I'm uptight or something (can't imagine why).
And I only have wi-fi on when I need to do something with the internet - otherwise it's turned off.

Basically, I do as many simple things as I can to reduce risks. Like most other things in life, moderation is the key.

Reactions: Fishie

Really? I thought the FCC limit was 100 mw per transmitter

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
Yip
They work okay!
They have given me a lot more confidence when flying long range.
Certainly does boost the signal.
Well recommended.

Yip
They work okay!
They have given me a lot more confidence when flying long range.
Certainly does boost the signal.
Well recommended.

It really does not "boost" the signal per see more so than it helps to "redirect" the existing signal.

Has anyone tested flying long range by using a parabolic reflector and having your side or your back NOT facing the drone's direction? I predict significantly less signal than stock.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik