Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Parabolic antenna boosters: worth it?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by exit 4, Jan 21, 2016.

1. exit 4

I see these boosters on Amazon for 18-25 bucks. Are they any good for the money, or just useless gadgets?

2. snowghost

They work quite well.

3. alokbhargava

Reports are good.

4. Ken Hanks

5. cash70

6. Mako79

It does 2 things.. redirects all the control and video signals and it blocks the phones wifi and signal that may impair range by flooding the channels. Some have reported triple the range.

7. bluer101

I got mine 2 days ago and maybe because I'm in a heav residential area it works ok. I think if I got more altitude and straight line of sight it would help.

I was using it this afternoon and was past where I normally have signal issues and was getting good readings. But then out of nowhere, I did not turn away from the direction of the phantom, the signal dropped right off. When the signal came back after 5 seconds it was already climbing in RTH mode.

8. LamboH

Before the parabolic booster I was getting about 1000-1400 ft before the first hiccup in connection .around my neighborhood full of houses and wifi spots and other interferences . With booster on I can easily get 3500-4000 ft distance before the first hiccup in connection ymmv. Only issue is it adds a hefty amount of weight to the exiting ANTENNAES , so any sudden bump or movement and one or both flops out position

Attached Files:

9. Clearimageweb

i dont see a difference from making a windsurfer or buying these except a better looking product. got the same distance with the paper one i did with the hard amazon one but the amazon one with copper just looks sweet so to me worth the 20 bucks vs having a getto looking paper on your 800-1300 drone...

10. Ken Hanks

Aluminium is a preferred material for antenna building. Don't waste your money on copper.

11. Mark The Droner

There was a similar thread a week or two ago and one poster stated with authority that it doesn't matter whether its copper or aluminum - what matters is how smooth the surface is. He didn't validate this in any way, however.

12. exit 4

I can't see any difference in the windsurfer I bought from Amazon. It's the aluminum type. Maybe it's the neighborhood I fly in and they will help more out in the open? Only 18 bucks, not like I spent a hundred or more.

13. Mark The Droner

What do you mean "difference." Difference between the amazon one and a home made one? Or difference between a stand alone linear antenna and one with the windsurfer? There is no question that a windsurfer design will add signal strength if you make any attempt to aim it correctly.

14. exit 4

Sorry. I don't see any difference in range compared to without using one. As I said, it may be better in a more open area. In the suburbs I get the same range with or without the windsurfer.

15. Chris Vedeler

Night and day difference for me. I made my own.

16. RVD98072

I 3d printed my own and use copper tape. I used to get lost signals at around 2000 ft. Now I can go around 6000 ft in the same area (in the suburbs, etc.).

17. Phantomfreak

They work very well, at least doubled my range..

18. Suntana

I use them and the distance has doubled for me 8600' and had some video flicker so I chickened out, best I have gone. I don't like to push it, scares the sh&t out of me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

19. John Locke

That's a pretty neat idea to have the 2 antenna dishes fold (even though he can't spell "folding") into a clamshell. However I prefer having the dishes separate. In my backpack it's easier to find places to store the two separate parabolic dishes, versus a clamshell that's twice as thick. These are the set of reflectors I like, good quality stuff, unlike this that I bought and arrived broken because the plastic was so thin. Sent that back the same day. However, a windsurfer provides great value, doubling the communications distance of Lightbridge for for $10 to $30, depending what kind of quality you want to guide your $1000 drone a couple miles away.

#19 John Locke, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  20. mikecorn1

When the video flickers, you push on till you loose all signal. It'll come back. Very nerve racking though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suntana likes this.