P4P Screen - Can you really see it on a sunny day ?

Reaction score
Will be purchasing P4Pro soon and am not sure about getting the DJI screen. The ONLY reason it would make sense to me is if the screen is really truly usable on a sunny day. Has anyone actually used it on a sunny day with no problems ??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

In direct sunlight it is a lot better than any phone or tablet I have ever used. How much better? Hard to say because anything to do with human vision perception is subjective and hard specs sometimes mean little, but to my eye the screen is a big improvement in terms of both brightness and contrast ratio over consumer cellphones or tablets. There are some who say 'it could be brighter' but direct sunlight is a very harsh test and in those conditions any display could always be brighter, but regardless it is much more usable than the alternatives. No more squinting at the screen trying to make out the image, a very refreshing change!

Last edited:
Reactions: flyboy73
Here are a couple things to consider...many separate monitors fall into the 350, 400, 450 nits of brightness category. I think I read somewhere that a typical mobile device is also on the high end of that range. SmallHD makes higher end daylight viewable monitors and their brightness levels are in the 1000 nits range. Atomos makes a very expensive monitors that gets close to 1500 nits.

The upcoming version of the Crystalsky monitors from DJI claim to be 1000 nits for the 5 inch version and 2000 nits for the 8 inch version. The are not for sale yet so I'm not sure if this will be the final spec or not, but it seems like they are using a slimmed down version of the smaller screen for the Phantom 4 Pro Plus. Compared to almost anything else you can reasonably get, the DJI screen seems to make a lot of sense...plus it save your phone or iPad battery. Many people have ended up with dead cell phones after a lot of flying.

I think its nice to have a dedicated, bright screen to fly from...as long as you are OK with the size. People who like to fly from iPads may find it smaller than they prefer, but a smaller screen with great visibility might be better than a large iPad thats hard to see in the sun.

Finally, when it comes time to buy it, keep www.FloridaDroneSupply.com in mind. We have the Phantom 4 Pro in stock and have a shipment of the Phantom 4 Pro Plus on the way to us very, very soon.

Let me know if you have any more questions about this - I'd be happy to help!

You see a lot of I'd rather have the 7.8" version or I'd rather have an even brighter screen, etc., and, well, yeah I guess... but that also completely ignores the cost side of the equation. Other options are going to cost a lot more than the $300 extra that a P4P+ costs and the Plus is by far the most cost effective way you're going to get into a pro-quality display. If money is no object then by all means get an Inspire 2 and a 7.8" CrystalSky, but for bang-for-the-buck (one of the big pros of the P4P series) the Plus model is hard to beat.

Also as mentioned above there are advantages beyond brightness/contrast, such as better stability and no unnecessary processes running in the background (very important for critical real-time apps such as DGI GO), no cables or setup, no hot cellphones and battery concerns, etc. Is the Plus screen absolutely essential? No, people have lived without it until now so I guess not. But it sure is nice.

You see a lot of I'd rather have the 7.8" version or I'd rather have an even brighter screen, etc., and, well, yeah I guess... but that also completely ignores the cost side of the equation. Other options are going to cost a lot more than the $300 extra that a P4P+ costs and the Plus is by far the most cost effective way you're going to get into a pro-quality display. If money is no object then by all means get an Inspire 2 and a 7.8" CrystalSky, but for bang-for-the-buck (one of the big pros of the P4P series) the Plus model is hard to beat.

Also as mentioned above there are advantages beyond brightness/contrast, such as better stability and no unnecessary processes running in the background (very important for critical real-time apps such as DGI GO), no cables or setup, no hot cellphones and battery concerns, etc. Is the Plus screen absolutely essential? No, people have lived without it until now so I guess not. But it sure is nice.

Yep - I definitely agree with all of that! And if you wanted to run an external monitor you would have to get the HDMI module, batteries for it, have cords between it, a way to mount it and they are much heavier...I think the most likely choice is to either get the $300 extra Pro Plus version or use your existing mobile device and deal with the fact that they get hot and are hard to see in the sun.

Thx for the replies. I bought a P4 in July and although I used it a lot (600 miles flown), the only gripe I really had with it was trying to find a suitable screen/sunshade that was tolerable. I finally settled on buying a new iPad Air II and the sunshade from aerial accessories. I had no other issues. I sold my P4 a few days ago to buy a P4P. I know this is subjective but let me ask anyway : What is better - iPad Air II with a good sunshade or P4P Plus remote/screen ? Assume the only decision factor is the screen display

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The P4P+ display will be smaller but brighter and easier to see. The iPad Air II would be larger, but more reflective and far more difficult to see in the sun. If you can live with the size of the P4P+ screen I think you would be much happier with the ability to see it while flying in the sun.

Where are you located (or where do you do most of your flying if those are not the same place)? Being in FL bright sun is a non stop issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan