P4P Gimbal Howl

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just purchased a P4P. I am in the process of setting this up. I have noticed with the P4P setting on the table stationary that the gimbal can make a "howling" noise. Is this typical? It also looks like while this howling is occurring when the gimbal is doing some searching. I have uploaded video to YouTube. Here is the URL:

I would appreciate input if this is normal.

Donald Barar

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
My gimbal had never made that sound (or any sound) until today during the firmware upgrade when it was moving up/down max range of motion, sometimes even going limp like it had been disconnected. Then it made that exact sound as you posted.
(even though I'd had it on several times setting things up- also gimbal moving up/down and the extra 35 deg. setting-never made a sound).
After it finally finished the FW update and rebooted it never made that noise again. Not sure what to think.
I guess I'll have to see if it does make that noise again or doesn't act right.
I'm interested if other forum members have experienced this during the FW update just released?
Thanks!

Hi David,

Thanks for writing. I also have done the most recent firmware update (Wednesday I think). But I have nothing else to compare. The howling and twiching is random with the P4P sitting still on the table. I would think if the P4P was still then the gimbal should remain motionless and hence not make these sounds. That said, I have other equipment (high end telescope mount) and the servos are always making some kind of noise.

But with the P4P I do not have enough experience and have no idea what to think. Anyone else have thoughts?

Donald Barar

Hi David,

Thanks for writing. I also have done the most recent firmware update (Wednesday I think). But I have nothing else to compare. The howling and twiching is random with the P4P sitting still on the table. I would think if the P4P was still then the gimbal should remain motionless and hence not make these sounds. That said, I have other equipment (high end telescope mount) and the servos are always making some kind of noise.

But with the P4P I do not have enough experience and have no idea what to think. Anyone else have thoughts?

Donald Barar

I'll really be interested in hearing from others also. I never heard the noise at all even when picking up the craft and moving it around so the gimbal would have to adjust and sitting back on the counter top. -before update.
Then when I was doing the FW upgrade it first started making the noise. Now that it's updated it's not made the noise again sitting on the counter or moving around but I've not flown it yet as I just updated tonight and it was dark when done.
This DJI P4P+ is new to me also so I don't know if it is a common thing or we have a defective ones.
I've only had it a couple of weeks and never heard the noise before tonight.

I've read that when just sitting there with P4P+ turned on the gimbal motors get hot so maybe since it took so long to do the download over WiFi then update through the app on the + controller my gimbal motors started heating up or something...
??? I have no idea... I just hope it doesn't do it again. But I am concerned for sure!

Hi All,

DJI Support recommends the following action:
  1. Calibrate IMU
  2. Compass Calibration
  3. Remote Controller Calibration
  4. Re-link Controller to Aircraft
  5. Gimbal Calibration
They also recommend that each of these steps be performed outside away from any potential interference and on a level surface.

Any thoughts on these recommendations?

Donald Barar

Mine did not twitch when making the noise. It was sitting stationary on the kitchen counter top. It also stopped making the noise after the new FW update was complete. (at least for now no noise). I lifted it off the counter and moved it all around so the gimbal would move and compensate for the movement after the FW update reboot and no noise. (again, not yet anyway)

Mine did not twitch when making the noise. It was sitting stationary on the kitchen counter top. It also stopped making the noise after the new FW update was complete. (at least for now no noise). I lifted it off the counter and moved it all around so the gimbal would move and compensate for the movement after the FW update reboot and no noise. (again, not yet anyway)
HI D,

I followed the instructions provided to me by DJI. Stationary "howling" seems to be much improved. Let it set quietly and heard it one time in 10 minutes. Also, I picked the aircraft up and move it around as though it was flying. Also, heard it howl one time when I pitched the aircraft forward. After that, there were no more incidents. I guess I just have to keep an eye on it to see what happens.

Don

Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx
HI D,

I followed the instructions provided to me by DJI. Stationary "howling" seems to be much improved. Let it set quietly and heard it one time in 10 minutes. Also, I picked the aircraft up and move it around as though it was flying. Also, heard it howl one time when I pitched the aircraft forward. After that, there were no more incidents. I guess I just have to keep an eye on it to see what happens.

Don
It will be interesting to see if it finally quiets down for good. Hopefully it will.
I've not taken mine out to fly after the FW update so I can't say for sure the noise won't come back. I hope not!
Good luck with yours!
:)

I just turned it on, I upgraded my fw yesterday no sound you are referring to. The unit hums like it did on day one.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka