P4P+ Ask Me Anything

Thanks Grizz1

I need to do 3 flights a day, I'm thinking of having 2 batteries and a car charger. Does anyone else manage a successful charge from your car?

If not I'm probably better off having 3 batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I use an apple2air because of the big screen. How does the little screen compare? Also, will my filters fit the camera on the P4P?

What is up with the Chinese writing all over the setup screen on the P4P+ controller? Even entering all the initial setup info it kept going back to Chinese. Only when it loads the DJI GO 4 App does it switch to English.... Very odd that DJI missed this one before sending the product out to the world.

For WiFi network, I had the same issue as others in that it would not recognize my home network. So I just used my phone and turned on the WiFi hotspot and it recognized this. Also useful for when flying as the maps are instantly updated via the phone.

One other thing I noticed is that it did not indicate that updates were available. I had to go into the updates screen and then select CHECK FOR UPDATES & then it downloaded them. This was all before I even connected the drone to the controller.

Thanks Grizz1

I need to do 3 flights a day, I'm thinking of having 2 batteries and a car charger. Does anyone else manage a successful charge from your car?

If not I'm probably better off having 3 batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
My car won't charge the batteries through an inverter properly. Something to do with alternator only providing voltage when it needs it.

Flying P4P today in very low sun. Forward and backward sensors were going haywire. Managed to turn off the front but cannot find out how to deactivate the rear, any ideas? Thanks.

Interesting question about the display. I wish they would have at least made it the size of the iPad Mini.
Unfortunately due to this being new for DJI (mass produced controller with display) the cost is high.... for now. Expect to get more for less in coming years (i.e. 7" or larger screen becoming the standard with additional features).

DJI will tell you the cost is due to including the extra RAM, HDMI port, WiFi chip, Android operating system special configuration, processor to run the software, super bright high definition screen.

Essentialy were talking a 5" 1080p tablet with HDMI.... a $99 value perhaps?

Yuneec has 7" Android tablet in their ST16 controller with pretty much identical features except for the "super bright" screen & light bridge tech. The cost for that controller is included in the $999 price for the Typhoon H drone/controller.

So... yup... DJI is asking a premium price for now.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Essentialy were talking a 5" 1080p tablet with HDMI.... a $99 value perhaps?
Or perhaps not. An absolute cheapest-as-possible no-frills tablet might cost $99, but a high-grade unit with sufficient processing power for solid H.265 4K playback, GPS and all the extras, plus a very high-quality display certainly would cost a lot more. DJI is no doubt marking up the hardware to some extent (or at least they'd better if they want to stay in business) but I doubt it's anywhere near the extreme you suggest.

Or perhaps not. An absolute cheapest-as-possible no-frills tablet might cost $99, but a high-grade unit with sufficient processing power for solid H.265 4K playback, GPS and all the extras, plus a very high-quality display certainly would cost a lot more. DJI is no doubt marking up the hardware to some extent (or at least they'd better if they want to stay in business) but I doubt it's anywhere near the extreme you suggest.
$99 is a fair price.

Have a look at any Android tablet on Amazon.com. you'll get cameras, fast processor, higher res display, wifi that supports much more, etc, for less than $99.

I'm not putting down the P4P+, but I do find it overpriced at the moment. I purchased one merely for the convenience. It does what it says it does and not much more (i.e., no additional use as per a stand alone tablet).

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

You can download an .apk and click on it, and the native Android package installer comes up and tries to install it (so far so good), but then the OS reports 'not enough storage'... denied! They intentionally broke app installation, but someone will figure out a way around it.

I was just looking at that tonight. I downloaded an APK program which it places in the Download directory. Went to run it, after turning off the safeguards, and received the not enough space message. On further inspection it looks as if there are two locations for Apps. One location is extremely small (size in Megs), and the other is larger (about 9 Gigs free). Somehow we have to get the APK to install in the 9 Gig area.

Nice to see that DJI included a screen capture on the P4P+ (you can only capture screen shots, then share them on Twitter, Snapshat or Facebook).

I was just looking at that tonight. I downloaded an APK program which it places in the Download directory. Went to run it, after turning off the safeguards, and received the not enough space message. On further inspection it looks as if there are two locations for Apps. One location is extremely small (size in Megs), and the other is larger (about 9 Gigs free). Somehow we have to get the APK to install in the 9 Gig area.
Hmmm... you may be onto something there, the question is how to do that. While I think eventually someone is going to crack sideloading apps on the controller I also don't think DJI has made it a trivial task. Of course I would dearly love to be wrong about that :).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez