P4 vs P3 still photo comaparison

They are Jpegs straight from the camera. On Dropbox they are 6 MB each.
You need to download them on Dropbox not download the view.

I will have to do that once I get home.

I am hoping for a photography version of the p4 this time around.
An upgraded camera with optical zoom and better stills capability would be nice as an option.
Not everyone wants to film themselves skateboarding, some need a drone to be more photography based than sports video gimmicky based.
Might costs more, might sacrifice some flight time but at the moment it still appears to be "mobile phone quality" video and stills, fine for the occasional hobbies, bit I am quite sure they could partner up with known camera maker to produce a photography based version of the p4.
We had 3 variants of the p3, please DJI lets have a version with a camera with some optical zoom and better stills than a mobile phone sensor based unit.
Im hoping for exactly the same, but i dont think it will ever happen, as the phantom would then compete directly with the inspire, and the s9000 , when a competitor brings out a phantom size drone with prosumer stills quality camera, i think DJI will have a problem, i think for video though,the cameras are excellent for their size

What do you guys think of these? I see no difference... Mediocre still quality. The 4K video quality (of both) is better (than the stills) I personally find.
the phantom range will never deliver decent quality stills, i still have a phantom 2, with a gpro 4 black, and my stills are better than a p4, but as the sensor is the same in both p4 and gopro 4 they are limited. I cant see them ever upgrading the camera, as it would damage sales of the inspire

I think they are very very close on the stills.
If I had to pick the best it would be the 1st one although it isn't exactly the same shot as the second and that could be influencing me.

Just seems to be slightly less non vertical distortion in the 1st although both have soft edges.

p3 on the left

chromatic aberration .... it will be worst with a lot of color.

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 12.38.53 PM.png

Last edited:
ringolong: what is that exactly, aberration?

It seems we can't really expect more from those sensors, can we?

I think they are very very close on the stills.
If I had to pick the best it would be the 1st one although it isn't exactly the same shot as the second and that could be influencing me.

Just seems to be slightly less non vertical distortion in the 1st although both have soft edges.
Do you mean p4.jpg by "1st shot", or p3p.jpg?

Do you mean p4.jpg by "1st shot", or p3p.jpg?
P3p.
I don't see any of what ringalong posted on an ipad mini 4 retina at max zoom.

Certainly not any chromatic aberration, on either still.

P3p.
I don't see any of what ringalong posted on an ipad mini 4 retina at max zoom.

Certainly not any chromatic aberration, on either still.

That was from another member's post, and it is apparent in the p3 photo, but not in the p4.

dimage.php.jpeg

That was from another member's post, and it is apparent in the p3 photo, but not in the p4.

View attachment 47448
I see soft edges but no aberration, Captain.....
I also went to 200% on a Windows PC....some soft edges on both but no aberration on either.

Its a mobile phone type sensor and that is all it is going to produce.
They need to partner up with a camera maker and get a real camera on the thing that works.

Reactions: FlyingDoDo
Right. He's looking for your chromatic aboriginals too. Lol

I see better quality in the P4 in those photos although wasn't one a stiched panorama? The P4 one?

P4 on the left and p3 on the right
View attachment 47485

Even though your comparison of these particular images is flawed because one is with no sun (p3) and the other is in full sun (p4), the P3 image is still quite good. Interesting that you did not compare Ed's photo to the p3 HDR bridge image I posted. While it is a little over sharpened for my taste, it clearly demonstrates that the P3 camera, if properly focused is sharp for a camera with a 1/2 sensor.

I'm sorry the lens on your p3 needed focusing or some other adjustment. But jumping to the conclusion that the p4 camera is a dramatic leap ahead is not borne out by the images. This is interesting from an owner of an X3 camera, which is exactly the same as the p3p aside from the case (ask Ed or Ken if you are unsure on this).

It's ok if you want to grab, or already have grabbed up a p4. Just don't fool yourself into thinking it's camera is way ahead of a p3's. It may be way ahead of the one you had. Justify your purchase with the dual IMU/Compass. Or, the avoidance and tracking. Or the new fat/sleek lines. Or heck, just because you want it ! But the camera is basically the same this time.

Even though your comparison of these particular images is flawed because one is with no sun (p3) and the other is in full sun (p4), the P3 image is still quite good. Interesting that you did not compare Ed's photo to the p3 HDR bridge image I posted. While it is a little over sharpened for my taste, it clearly demonstrates that the P3 camera, if properly focused is sharp for a camera with a 1/2 sensor.

I'm sorry the lens on your p3 needed focusing or some other adjustment. But jumping to the conclusion that the p4 camera is a dramatic leap ahead is not borne out by the images. This is interesting from an owner of an X3 camera, which is exactly the same as the p3p aside from the case (ask Ed or Ken if you are unsure on this).

It's ok if you want to grab, or already have grabbed up a p4. Just don't fool yourself into thinking it's camera is way ahead of a p3's. It may be way ahead of the one you had. Justify your purchase with the dual IMU/Compass. Or, the avoidance and tracking. Or the new fat/sleek lines. Or heck, just because you want it ! But the camera is basically the same this time.

It was too small. Do you have the full size?

I will know for 100% certainty once I get my p4, but the images are much better from everything I have seen. Of course much better is relative. dramatic leap ahead is also relative, and I do not think this.

I do know that the raw dng images that Ken provided look better than the images produced by my p3p.

It was too small. Do you have the full size?

I will know for 100% certainty once I get my p4, but the images are much better from everything I have seen. Of course much better is relative. dramatic leap ahead is also relative, and I do not think this.

I do know that the raw dng images that Ken provided look better than the images produced by my p3p.

I look forward to some images from you when you get your p4. All of the new stuff is nice, but not really relevant for the flying I do. In another year, the chipset and SOC will probably be available to bump up to a 1" sensor, and then I'll be jumping on the P5.

We're talking stills, but one of the P3 guys just posted this video all captured with a p3. Pretty nice.

I look forward to some images from you when you get your p4. All of the new stuff is nice, but not really relevant for the flying I do. In another year, the chipset and SOC will probably be available to bump up to a 1" sensor, and then I'll be jumping on the P5.

We're talking stills, but one of the P3 guys just posted this video all captured with a p3. Pretty nice.

Thats a beautiful film. Really nice work.

Don't get me wrong. I like the p3p. I was just upset that it was not producing the same quality of video, and stills that my inspire produced when I had read many times that is had the same camera. Makes it a little difficult for me to trust some of the stuff I read.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20