P4 vs P3 still photo comaparison

Best shot so far from a p3 :D

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 9.17.37 PM.png

All those pictures are form P3P without any processing, as they came out of the SD.
Pic 1.PNG
Pic 2.PNG
Pic 3.PNG
Pic 5.PNG
Pic 6.PNG
Pic 7.PNG
Pic 8.PNG
Pic 9.PNG
Pic 10.PNG

Not bad, still some softness at edge and slight non vertical cacti but no chromatic aberration in the high contrast sections. All in all maybe some slight in camera adjustments could improve each of them.
Most anyone would be pleased with those, beautiful subject matter and wide range of lighting. Most aren't looking for technically perfect raw images anyway.

I do not have any software to adjust pictures or videos, the computer I have is barely capable of displaying pictures and all videos are shot on 1080P/60 since the puter can not handle anything else. Videos are here:
DACON

Not bad, still some softness at edge and slight non vertical cacti but no chromatic aberration in the high contrast sections. All in all maybe some slight in camera adjustments could improve each of them.
Most anyone would be pleased with those, beautiful subject matter and wide range of lighting. Most aren't looking for technically perfect raw images anyway.

Applying a camera lens distortion correction profile would straighten it up. Compared to gopro images, the distortion isn't worth mentioning.

Please post your wonderful photos from a p3. Comments show me nothing :rolleyes:
The first pic is SOOC JPEG, without an ND filter.
The second pic is also SOOC JPEG, with an ND filter.

25245441414_37c2338a94_o.jpg

25757374302_b13191f1ea_o.jpg

The first pic is way sharper than your P3P's photos. The second pic is dull (obviously with an ND filter on and more overcast sky), flat and muddy, almost as bad as your P3P, not quite.
There you go :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jeez...you should just put up a affiliate link to a p4. It's pretty clear you're real objective !

I traded up so it really does not matter to me at this point. I was disappointed with the p3p. Lets see about the p4.

What's wrong with EVERY comparison photo I see is, they're not comparing apples with apples. Showing us a photo of a hillside in bright sunlight vs a photo of a harbor in overcast isn't a comparison.

Someone needs to take a p3 and p4 - with the same settings and filters [if used on either] and do a few shots of the same view, on the same day, and in roughly the same time frame. Fly the P3, take a shot. Fly the P4 within minutes and take the same shot. So far - I haven't seen that.

What's wrong with EVERY comparison photo I see is, they're not comparing apples with apples. Showing us a photo of a hillside in bright sunlight vs a photo of a harbor in overcast isn't a comparison.

Someone needs to take a p3 and p4 - with the same settings and filters [if used on either] and do a few shots of the same view, on the same day, and in roughly the same time frame. Fly the P3, take a shot. Fly the P4 within minutes and take the same shot. So far - I haven't seen that.

inspire x3 versus p4 camera
Phantom 4 or Inspire?

inspire x3 versus p4 camera
Phantom 4 or Inspire?
I appreciate you posted the Inspire against the P4 but the question remains to settings on each, and personally, I would like to see the difference comparison between the P3P and the P4P.

Again, where I appreciate you taking time to show what you have, the question is between the two Phantoms - with similar settings and filters if used - same shot, same day, timeframes as close as possible.

Thanks.

I appreciate you posted the Inspire against the P4 but the question remains to settings on each, and personally, I would like to see the difference comparison between the P3P and the P4P.

Again, where I appreciate you taking time to show what you have, the question is between the two Phantoms - with similar settings and filters if used - same shot, same day, timeframes as close as possible.

Thanks.
Couldn't you now compare p3 to the inspire and get a clear picture? I know there has to be some out there.

Couldn't you now compare p3 to the inspire and get a clear picture? I know there has to be some out there.
Sure. I can see the difference between the P4 and the Inspire. The camera on either is not the same as the camera on the P3P. Could you at least post the settings on each please?

Again, where I appreciate you taking time to show what you have, the question is between the two Phantoms - with similar settings and filters if used - same shot, same day, timeframes as close as possible. Thanks.
That was my post on the Inspire forum and the settings were the same and both without any ND Filter and taken from a 4k video rather than photo.
I don't have a Phantom 3 Pro so I couldn't test. I set out to do a comparison video between the two but the difference is so minor that I didn't bother.
It's certainly not night and day like like the GoPro 4 < Phantom 3.
But yes the Phantom 4 has better image quality than the Inspire X3 and looking around the X3 seems to have a better image than the X5 is most situations so make of that what you want.
Also if it's any help I sold my Inspire once I saw what my Phantom 4 can do, not just because of the size but the quality feel. A lot of Inspire owners were pissed when the Phantom 3 Pro came out with a "similar/same" camera for a fraction of the price and with the X5 being almost the cost of the base Inspire without much/any improvement in camera quality there's just no value in the Inspire line beyond looking big/impressive.
The Phantom 4 seems to have the best dynamic range, low light quality, sharpness, less compression artefacts of any DJI product right now. I realise that they use the same sensor and should be identical but clearly they aren't.

My new P4 is really soft around the edges. I'm a little disappointed.

Maybe I got lucky, but I have to say that I'm impressed by the JPEGs straight off the camera. Not at all bad for a 1/2.3 sensor. I don't see any signficant edge softness. Shot at ISO 100, f 2.8.

DJI_0005.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers