P4 vs P3 still photo comaparison

I'd say about 50% of all the P3 have blurry lens issues. Some worse than others. I've replaced 4 camera and all but one and the blur. The one that was perfect made photos easily that good. I think people all have blurry lens and don't realize it's a defect. I didn't know it was a defect on mine until I replaced the camera for another reason.
I confirm and it's so odd almost nobody notices. My first oldest P3 had a great camera but I had to exchange the bird. I supposed all cameras would be equal, but have had 3 more birds and all the cameras have sharpness problems in more than 50% of the image. Some even in 80%. It's a disgrace!

Reactions: mirrorimage
Wow, guys, I didn't realize there were so many that had soft picture issues with their P3s. Sorry to hear that.

I have seen 2 different issues posted regarding lenses that were soft in one area or another and one was fixed by refocusing the lens and the other was fixed because the PCB holding the sensor was not seated with one of it's 4 screws. In both cases the user was able to fix it, Albeit it required taking the camera apart, but it wasn't that difficult.

I hope those of you that had problems and are moving to the P4 get better results. If the lens is dramatically better, then perhaps I'll have to try and source it and retrofit my P3s! It likely will be the same thread size on the barrel and we already know the sensor is the same.

I've never really had a problem with chromatic aberration because LR is so good and quick at removing any. Always better if it's not there in the first place though.

Wow, guys, I didn't realize there were so many that had soft picture issues with their P3s. Sorry to hear that.

I have seen 2 different issues posted regarding lenses that were soft in one area or another and one was fixed by refocusing the lens and the other was fixed because the PCB holding the sensor was not seated with one of it's 4 screws. In both cases the user was able to fix it, Albeit it required taking the camera apart, but it wasn't that difficult.

I hope those of you that had problems and are moving to the P4 get better results. If the lens is dramatically better, then perhaps I'll have to try and source it and retrofit my P3s! It likely will be the same thread size on the barrel and we already know the sensor is the same.

I've never really had a problem with chromatic aberration because LR is so good and quick at removing any. Always better if it's not there in the first place though.

Exactly, I don't know why so many bash the unrealeased P4 camera, when the P3 camera is known to be sdub-par

I am hoping for a photography version of the p4 this time around.
An upgraded camera with optical zoom and better stills capability would be nice as an option.
Not everyone wants to film themselves skateboarding, some need a drone to be more photography based than sports video gimmicky based.
Might costs more, might sacrifice some flight time but at the moment it still appears to be "mobile phone quality" video and stills, fine for the occasional hobbies, bit I am quite sure they could partner up with known camera maker to produce a photography based version of the p4.
We had 3 variants of the p3, please DJI lets have a version with a camera with some optical zoom and better stills than a mobile phone sensor based unit.

I am getting my P3 camera replaced. Is there a way to check bluriness/sharpness with the P3 sitting on the desk? Eg by printing some kind of test sheet and putting it in front of the P3. I could fly over trees and put the lens all the way down, but a test in home would be easier. Anyone tried/knows?

I am hoping for a photography version of the p4 this time around.
An upgraded camera with optical zoom and better stills capability would be nice as an option.
Not everyone wants to film themselves skateboarding, some need a drone to be more photography based than sports video gimmicky based.
Might costs more, might sacrifice some flight time but at the moment it still appears to be "mobile phone quality" video and stills, fine for the occasional hobbies, bit I am quite sure they could partner up with known camera maker to produce a photography based version of the p4.
We had 3 variants of the p3, please DJI lets have a version with a camera with some optical zoom and better stills than a mobile phone sensor based unit.
I wish the same but I don't believe we'll ever see a good photography camera in the Phantom series due to the price point. However, if DJI ever comes out with a Phantom Drone that has a quick release removable camera then 3rd party camera makers will offer different cameras for the average user, professional photographer, search and rescue, police, etc.

Right now the P3 and P4 cameras are pretty much as you described... general use good quality cell phone quality cameras.

I am getting my P3 camera replaced. Is there a way to check bluriness/sharpness with the P3 sitting on the desk? Eg by printing some kind of test sheet and putting it in front of the P3. I could fly over trees and put the lens all the way down, but a test in home would be easier. Anyone tried/knows?
No need to fly. To test video, place the phantom pointing at moving objects... traffic, people in park.

To test photo place phantom outside. Place objects with printing on them at various distances from Phantom (to the left, to the right, and center). This will test sharpness from edge to edge of camera. To test focus of top and bottom, just ensure printed objects photographed are at top portion in one photo, middle portion in the next and bottom in the last. Don't move objects but rather move camera.

Great photos, but please use Bikini models in the future. Was this with or without ND filters? They look amazing! Any video?

• Did you apply a lens dewarp filter? I'm shocked how good the image looks without warping around the edges. It feels so "flat"

• Horizon still seems a few degrees tilted, did you calibrate it yet? Curious if it stays calibrated.

Really exciting stuff.

Thanks for the DNGs, (nice pics but noisy... yes, it was low light)
Mine is due to arrive tomorrow the 15th.
I am more interested in the image quality, hope it
doesn't let me down.
Will hopefully shoot tomorrow or Wed.

What the "gets decent glass" actually tells us is that DJI knowingly sold P3 with faulty lenses and carried on regardless.
I wonder now they have admitted that faulty cameras were shipped with P3 that they will offer to fix the faulty lenses on P3 free of charge.
Its not an upgrade, its a known fault fix.

Reactions: mirrorimage
What the "gets decent glass" actually tells us is that DJI knowingly sold P3 with faulty lenses and carried on regardless.
I wonder now they have admitted that faulty cameras were shipped with P3 that they will offer to fix the faulty lenses on P3 free of charge.
Its not an upgrade, its a known fault fix.

They fixed faulty lens on one of mine. Thought the replacement one wasn't much better. It's so hit or miss. I bought replacement camera and did it myself. It's a hassle. Not worth waiting 3 months for DJI support and losing a 1/4 a year without your drone while they "fix".

Great photos, but please use Bikini models in the future. Was this with or without ND filters? They look amazing! Any video?

• Did you apply a lens dewarp filter? I'm shocked how good the image looks without warping around the edges. It feels so "flat"

• Horizon still seems a few degrees tilted, did you calibrate it yet? Curious if it stays calibrated.

Really exciting stuff.

I did not shoot these so I am unsure.

There are untouched log shot videos in this link.
P4 vs P3 still photo comaparison

Hopefully we will see more footage show up today.

I just sold my P3A for less than I wanted to since I was buying a P3P for about $100 more to replace it, but that fell through, long story. I am wondering if I should I just get a P4 now instead? It would help to get advice from someone who has used both a P3P and P4 to tell if it is worth it. I was going to be happy with a P3P but since I now have nothing I guess I am starting out from scratch again.

They fixed faulty lens on one of mine. Thought the replacement one wasn't much better. It's so hit or miss. I bought replacement camera and did it myself. It's a hassle. Not worth waiting 3 months for DJI support and losing a 1/4 a year without your drone while they "fix".
How did you do it yourself?

I just sold my P3A for less than I wanted to since I was buying a P3P for about $100 more to replace it, but that fell through, long story. I am wondering if I should I just get a P4 now instead? It would help to get advice from someone who has used both a P3P and P4 to tell if it is worth it. I was going to be happy with a P3P but since I now have nothing I guess I am starting out from scratch again.

I had a p3p for about 2 weeks and decided to trade up with the guy(FlyHighUSA) I deal with. He got his in yesterday, and said the p4 was amazing. He said that he usually does not get excited about new stuff, but that the P4 was better built, much faster than the P3, and had longer flight times. The stills from what I have seen are much better too.

Compared stills between the P4 and the P3P. They are similar and definitely not better with regards to sharpness and bluriness. Early P3's (or P3's that have a perfect camera, which not many have with regards to sharpness) have better sharpness than the few P4's I tested. Disappointing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4