P4 vs P3 still photo comaparison

Maybe I got lucky, but I have to say that I'm impressed by the JPEGs straight off the camera. Not at all bad for a 1/2.3 sensor. I don't see any signficant edge softness. Shot at ISO 100, f 2.8.

View attachment 47759

SAR104
Thanks for uploading samples.
When I look at your trees on your photo they look a lot softer on the outer edges than they do in the center.
2016-03-19 19_18_38-P4 vs P3 still photo comaparison _ Page 5 _ DJI Phantom Forum.png

QUOTE="BlueSkies, post: 724983, member: 7968"]I'll take some tomorrow. I was just don't test shots in the house and already trashed mine. I will have to say coming from high Canon L lens I may be a little jaded.

Thanks
Bill[/QUOTE]I come from Nikon D800 and pro lenses. This isn't a "pro level" system and I accept there are going to be differences.

More importantly, I think the missing part of what you see in his image is - - he's in the same NM I am, albeit a little further north. I understand we have wind. Trees move in wind. Look at the buildings. Shutter speed of the P3P should be able to handle them. I don't expect the P3P to handle wind-blown trees.

EDIT Just noticed I posted D600 - that was my old camera. Current is this D800.

Last edited:
I do not have any software to adjust pictures or videos, the computer I have is barely capable of displaying pictures and all videos are shot on 1080P/60 since the puter can not handle anything else. Videos are here:
DACON
I do not have any software to adjust pictures or videos, the computer I have is barely capable of displaying pictures and all videos are shot on 1080P/60 since the puter can not handle anything else. Videos are here:
DACON
Nice.
Do You use ND filters? Try them and get the shutter speed to twice the frame speed you choose. Seems there is some jello at times in vid.

SAR104
Thanks for uploading samples.
When I look at your trees on your photo they look a lot softer on the outer edges than they do in the center.View attachment 47762

I'm afraid that your expectations are way too high if you are looking sub-pixel in the corners. Definitely the wrong platform for you if that is your metric.

I come from Nikon D600 and pro lenses. This isn't a "pro level" system and I accept there are going to be differences.

More importantly, I think the missing part of what you see in his image is - - he's in the same NM I am, albeit a little further north. I understand we have wind. Trees move in wind. Look at the buildings. Shutter speed of the P3P should be able to handle them. I don't expect the P3P to handle wind-blown trees.

That was shot at around 1/1000 s, so at that focal length it's not the wind. The problem is one of expectations - my expectation of edge sharpness for a sub-compact camera with a 1/2.3 sensor is clearly not the same as everyone else's. You will find exactly the same kind of pixel peeping comments on any camera review website for almost any platform - there is just no pleasing some people.

Reactions: SteveAikens
That was shot at around 1/1000 s, so at that focal length it's not the wind. The problem is one of expectations - my expectation of edge sharpness for a sub-compact camera with a 1/2.3 sensor is clearly not the same as everyone else's. You will find exactly the same kind of pixel peeping comments on any camera review website for almost any platform - there is just no pleasing some people.

I think yours is a good example of what to expect. I also think that from what I have seen, the results are very similar to the p3 which is using the same camera. There are lots of great features added to the p4 that are lacking in the p3. I'm not really sure why some can't be satisfied by those features and have to try and add the image quality to the mix.

The limiting factor of image quality is the sensor, and SOC. Those 2 things are identical on the p3 and p4. I would agree that the lens usually plays a large part in the image quality equation too, but the lenses on these cameras are minimal. Basically board camera lenses. You can only get so much from them. They do have to be in focus, and aligned properly with the sensor. Apparently, many p3 owners did not have cameras that were optimal in this regard. And, dji didn't make it easy to adjust them, although it isn't super difficult either.

I think yours is a good example of what to expect. I also think that from what I have seen, the results are very similar to the p3 which is using the same camera. There are lots of great features added to the p4 that are lacking in the p3. I'm not really sure why some can't be satisfied by those features and have to try and add the image quality to the mix.

The limiting factor of image quality is the sensor, and SOC. Those 2 things are identical on the p3 and p4. I would agree that the lens usually plays a large part in the image quality equation too, but the lenses on these cameras are minimal. Basically board camera lenses. You can only get so much from them.

Agreed. I have not used a P3, although I have looked at a lot of P3P 4k video. The quality seemed excellent. I'm upgrading from a P2 / Hero 3 Black / Lightbridge combination, so I'm finding the P4 to be a significant improvement all around.

Agreed. I have not used a P3, although I have looked at a lot of P3P 4k video. The quality seemed excellent. I'm upgrading from a P2 / Hero 3 Black / Lightbridge combination, so I'm finding the P4 to be a significant improvement all around.

The video quality is different from stills btw. Your still is much better than what anyone has provided from a p3 in this thread. Nice improvement from what my p3p shot.

The video quality is different from stills btw. Your still is much better than what anyone has provided from a p3 in this thread. Nice improvement from what my p3p shot.

As I mentioned - I've been looking at a lot of P3P 4k video, including pulling frames, and been extremely impressed. That was one of the factors that led me to decide to upgrade. I did not have the opportunity to assess P3P stills, and so far I haven't seen any in this or the other thread that are even as good as the frames from the P3P videos. I'd be very surprised if the P4 is consistently (on average) much better than the P3P, but maybe it is.

As I mentioned - I've been looking at a lot of P3P 4k video, including pulling frames, and been extremely impressed. That was one of the factors that led me to decide to upgrade. I did not have the opportunity to assess P3P stills, and so far I haven't seen any in this or the other thread that are even as good as the frames from the P3P videos. I'd be very surprised if the P4 is consistently (on average) much better than the P3P, but maybe it is.

Most, like you, have eyes !

I'll take some tomorrow. I was just don't test shots in the house and already trashed mine. I will have to say coming from high Canon L lens I may be a little jaded.

Thanks
Bill
Haha you are funny. I wouldn't expect these drone cams with tiny sensor be able to compete with Canon DSLR with expensive L lenses either :D

That is true. I also have a P1 that flies an RX100. Do you want to compare the stills from that to the p4 ?

Now that is a serious compact camera. I have the RX100 IV, and it continually amazes me. My Nikon 7100 sees much less service as a result.

That is true. I also have a P1 that flies an RX100. Do you want to compare the stills from that to the p4 ?

Negative on the compare, but that sounds really nice. I bet you have some really nice photos!

How do you take stills with it in the air?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic