P4 Range?

That could be due to a usb cable, radio issue, or device issue. I have had this same issue happen on an inspire radio, and iPhone where my cable was the culprit.

Ill keep an eye out for reports of this too.

Thanks for the heads up!
Ahh ok, no problem bud!

Thank you guys. Going to mod the Inspire remote and keep the original as stock for easy use. Waiting for MAXX's rig.
Keep in mind that switching remotes may modestly improve the control range over the stock P4 remote, but cannot improve the weaker video power feed from the P4 over the Inspire 1, which is far more relevant. You will get even better control range from an FPVLR or DBS mod to the P4 remote, than from the stock Inspire 1 remote, and the FPVLR and DBS mods can include an amp on the video receiving antenna, which the Inspire 1 remote lacks, to also improve video reception range.

Last edited:
Reactions: phantom13flyer
True but LOS is defined to exclude vision aids other than prescription lenses. Don't recall the specific verbiage.
Doesn't up to 500m ring a bell my friend ?? Visual contact and/or up to 500m . Do your homework !

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Doesn't up to 500m ring a bell my friend ?? Visual contact and/or up to 500m . Do your homework !

VLOS is a US FAA guideline for model aviation hobbyists.
Are you arguing this or just want to practice your snark but conflating the manufacturers current equipment limitations and US operating guidelines?

Even Tom in his tests was having Range and Battery issues. I'm starting to think that part of the flight range issue with the P4 is due to the antennas being fully encased within the plastic with no parts exposed. As for battery issues, I can't comprehend why even with the Phantom 4 in a hover position it still falls 5 to 6 minutes short of the flight time... unless of course the bottom positioning system is a power hog. Perhaps if testers hovered the Phantom 4 at 100 feet, battery results may be closer to the 28 mins.

Even Tom in his tests was having Range and Battery issues. I'm starting to think that part of the flight range issue with the P4 is due to the antennas being fully encased within the plastic with no parts exposed. As for battery issues, I can't comprehend why even with the Phantom 4 in a hover position it still falls 5 to 6 minutes short of the flight time... unless of course the bottom positioning system is a power hog. Perhaps if testers hovered the Phantom 4 at 100 feet, battery results may be closer to the 28 mins.
Something about the P4 is crippling the range and destabilizing the FPV and killing the battery life. Hopefully it gets sorted out before they get around to selling it to the public. Oops! Too late! :rolleyes:
Maybe we should wait for the Apple P4S model! :D

Reactions: Jack1926
I'm starting to think that part of the flight range issue with the P4 is due to the antennas being fully encased within the plastic with no parts exposed.

No.

Gadget.... I'm sorry for your bird sucking. But in every post, your the squeaky wheel. I think you should replace your P4, and then decide. Maybe in fact you truly did get a lemon?

I finally got to take mine out yesterday because there was a break in weather... And ran two packs. Your right, no 28 min... But flying out of sight, and running around in sport, it's still better than my P3. I also had Rock solid video.

You should ask for a replacement. Before you decide.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Gadget.... I'm sorry for your bird sucking. But in every post, your the squeaky wheel. I think you should replace your P4, and then decide. Maybe in fact you truly did get a lemon?

I finally got to take mine out yesterday because there was a break in weather... And ran two packs. Your right, no 28 min... But flying out of sight, and running around in sport, it's still better than my P3. I also had Rock solid video.

You should ask for a replacement. Before you decide.

DJI received my refund authorized P4 return today. I'm having my separately purchased extra P4 battery modded to accept external Lipo's this week, and will be repurchasing another P4 from Apple, or Best Buy, or Amazon, with a 14-30 day return policy, to allow a more thorough evaluation. The paltry P4 control range is fixed using my FPVLR v2 modded Tx with boosters. The long range FPV stability is the only remaining untested P4 feature, as the P4 has 20% less power for FPV from the aircraft than the original W323 P3P, which is my frame of reference. The W323A P3P is 18% less than the W323 and the result was significant FPV instability past 3 miles, which limits its use to under 3 miles. My need is the 3-5 mile range. I'm hoping the P4 does better. It's hard not to like, otherwise. It's a speed demon! Getting to 3 miles away in under 4 minutes is awesome!

Something about the P4 is crippling the range and destabilizing the FPV and killing the battery life. Hopefully it gets sorted out before they get around to selling it to the public. Oops! Too late! :rolleyes:
Maybe we should wait for the Apple P4S model! :D
It's ABSOLUTELY ALL OF THE OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE SYSTEMS AND ADDED VISION POSIONING SYSTEM DISTANCE OF I BELIEVE 10 METERS!!! IT TAKES ALOT MORE POWER / AMPS FOR ALL OF THOSE CAMERAS, AND AMPED UP SONAR. THE RANGE Sounds like Government to Me But I could be Wrong. I haven't paid much attention to it since the BIG Release Day, But one of the FIRST THINGS I THOUGHT ABOUT WAS THE UPDATED (LANDING GEAR). IS "4" ANTENNAS IN THE LEGS LIKE THE P3A AND ,PRO HAVE??????? I KNOW THEY MOVED THE COMPASS FROM THE VIDEO I WATCHED. IF I CAN FIND SOME TIME I'D LIKE TO SEE THE EXRAY DIAGRAM OF ALL OF THE INTERNAL PARTS AND LOCATIONS!!!! I KEFT OUT ALL OF THE EXTRA COMPUTER POSSESSING EQUIPMENT NEEDED TO DO ALL OF THAT SMART THINKING. ITS REALLY CLEAR TO ME AT A GUESS. MY DAD WAS A HVAC, PLUMBING, AND ELECTRICAL ENGINEER, SO I GREW UP SURROUNDED BY SPECIFICATIONS OF ALL KINDS!!!!! They tried their very best to keep it as small as possible and not exceed the diameter of the PHANTOM 1, 2 & 3. The market they're shooting for is the grab it and go anywhere type of customer. The only way to put that much Electronics and sensors inside of anything you need more room for larger propellers to add lift, hand of course a much larger battery that can supply enough power to the larger amperage Motors it would take to turn those props. That's just my opinion and I haven't given it a whole lot of thought yet.

Ask Dirty Bird, and he'll tell you what a difference turning some of those sensors off can do for your battery life. His Phantom 2 Vision Plus taught him a heck of A Lot When it comes to increased computer processing, and extra sensors. He actually made a YouTube video proving this to be a fact. I was very impressed on his thinking. I'm not sure if he disabled the vision positioning system ALSO. I clearly remember him going into the APP, and disabling the obstacle avoidance system. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I know he got a few more minutes flight time than anyone else has by just turning off the obstacle avoidance. If I had the money to burn, I would buy Phantom 4 just to experiment with, and make YouTube videos. Who knows, it's possible to make enough money off of YouTube to pay for the Phantom 4. Especially right now!!

Last edited:
Ask Dirty Bird, and he'll tell you what a difference turning some of those sensors off can do for your battery life. His Phantom 2 Vision Plus thought him one heck of A LOT!!! When it comes to increased computer processing, and extra sensors. He actually made a YouTube video proving this to be a fact. I was very impressed on his thinking. I'm not sure if he disabled the vision positioning system also?? I clearly remember him going into the app and disabling the obstacle avoidance system. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I know he got a few more minutes flight time than anyone else has by just turning off the obstacle avoidance. If I had the money to burn, I would buy Phantom 4 just to experiment with and make YouTube videos. Who knows, it's possible to make enough money off of YouTube to pay for the Phantom 4. Especially right now!!!
In all my P4 testing, the new OAS was turned off to create a better P3P comparison, as the P3P has no OAS. With OAS turned on, max speed is always limited to 22pmh, which is also the new RTH speed, presumably set for optimum distance, based upon remaining battery, to ensure it makes it back. I did have VPS on, as that increases landing stability for hand catching. So, assuming those reporting significantly better battery life have OAS turned on (it is on by default), that may explain their improved battery life. However, the main reason for choosing the P4 over the P3P for anyone owning a P3P would be the 45mph top speed. We don't need OAS in the front, as we can already see those obstacles! So, unless you intend to cap your max speed to 22 mph, the battery life of the P4 will always be a disappointment for P3P owners used to 30+ mph average speeds.

I plan to use CA when I'm a mile away shooting something like a statue or lighthouse and I want the extra insurance when I'm up close so i know I won't hit the object accidentally. But I wish I could adjust the distance limits so I can get closer to the object.

Last edited:
Just a thought, but what rating is the onboard electric fan in the P4 ?? If this fan was not very efficient, was binding or was not of good quality, would it consume more power than was thought ??
Would it be worth disconnecting it to test ??

Did my own range tests with my P3P and P4 this morning.. First I flew the P3P, it went out 17,400 ft one way before it lost signal and initiated RTH. Next flight 10 min later was the P4. Same flight path, everything the same. It made it out to only 13,400 ft. before losing signal and initiating RTH. Somewhat disappointing.. Only 2.5 miles of range versus 3.2 miles for the P3. But do I need to go farther than 2.5 miles? No not really. For now I'm keeping both of them anyway, so I might try binding the GL300B of the P3 to the P4 and see if it gets me any increased range.. Will report back when I do.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

6212.5 feet. Still had good control but didn't want to stretch my luck.

View attachment 47557
Here's one from my P3 which has gone to meet it's maker and replaced with a P4
long flight log real long.jpg

I plan to use CA when I'm a mile away shooting something like a statue or lighthouse and I want the extra insurance when I'm up close so i know I won't hit the object accidentally. But I wish I could adjust the distance limits so I can get closer to the object.
That's about the only time I would use the OAS also. You Definitely have a point as far as being able to adjust the distance. Different circumstances would determine how far I would want it to engage. At slow speeds it would be nice to adjust the Distance while on the Fly.

Just a thought, but what rating is the onboard electric fan in the P4 ?? If this fan was not very efficient, was binding or was not of good quality, would it consume more power than was thought ??
Would it be worth disconnecting it to test ??

I do not know the Spesifications on the P4's on board Electronics cooling fan. I do know that it is Absolutely nessesarry in order to keep the Electronics from overheating in "Most conditions". As far as It binding, or not being made of good Quality is concerned, it would Absolutely Effect the Amperage Drain on the Battery. I would Assume that the Cooling Fan Assembly is made a Very Good Quality, Considering that DJI isn't the only Company involved in the Electronic Design of the Phantom 4. Just the fact that Apple has come on board, is a clear indication to me that a lot more Brains are involved in the design of the Electronic aspects of the P4. For Example, (Dual IMU's, and Dual Compass's. As far as the Fan Binding, that would probably only be possible after some type of Trauma, Crash Excrdra. I would Highly suggest keeping ALL Electronic cooling Fans in perfect working condition.

I do not know the Spesifications on the P4's on board Electronics cooling fan. I do know that it is Absolutely nessesarry in order to keep the Electronics from overheating in "Most conditions". As far as It binding, or not being made of good Quality is concerned, it would Absolutely Effect the Amperage Drain on the Battery. I would Assume that the Cooling Fan Assembly is made a Very Good Quality, Considering that DJI isn't the only Company involved in the Electronic Design of the Phantom 4. Just the fact that Apple has come on board, is a clear indication to me that a lot more Brains are involved in the design of the Electronic aspects of the P4. For Example, (Dual IMU's, and Dual Compass's. As far as the Fan Binding, that would probably only be possible after some type of Trauma, Crash Excrdra. I would Highly suggest keeping ALL Electronic cooling Fans in perfect working condition.

This is the fan used. Wonder if it causes any interference and reduces radio range.........

Attachments

• Sunon Fan P4.jpg
    Sunon Fan P4.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 285

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member