P4 Range?

I'm guessing very similar to the p3 lightbridge models / inspire / Matrice 100 .... Regardless I think I'm going to be doing a long range antenna setup.. Now which one is the question !!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Stock range I was able to get 5132 feet. I'm in a crowded wifi area. I then installed an ItElite Antenna and two Sunhan boosters and got 11386 feet. Could have went further but had a strong headwind on the return flight, so I wanted to make sure I'd make it back haha! But landed with 40% battery life left.

Reactions: Santiego
The p4 uses the same lightbridge as the p3p&a, inspire so range will be very similar for sure

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

6212.5 feet. Still had good control but didn't want to stretch my luck.

image.png

I have to say I was not impressed with the range. Back in 1.1.9 days with P3P, I had 5 bars at 4.01 miles at low altitude with just a little windsurfer (Taco RC). Lately on the 1.6 firmware it's not as good but I can still go over 3 miles at a good quiet location.

With the P4, it was stuttering and having trouble between 2000'-3000' with no windsurfer. With the windsurfer I went to just over 6000' but lost signal bad enough to trigger RTH briefly. I've flown my P3 at the same place a ton of times and it never glitches - even at double that distance.

The P4 was without the 32 channel hack, on the 4Mbps quality setting. I'll play around with it some more but my first impression is that it is no where near as good as the P3P. :-(

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I have to say I was not impressed with the range. Back in 1.1.9 days with P3P, I had 5 bars at 4.01 miles at low altitude with just a little windsurfer (Taco RC). Lately on the 1.6 firmware it's not as good but I can still go over 3 miles at a good quiet location.

With the P4, it was stuttering and having trouble between 2000'-3000' with no windsurfer. With the windsurfer I went to just over 6000' but lost signal bad enough to trigger RTH briefly. I've flown my P3 at the same place a ton of times and it never glitches - even at double that distance.

The P4 was without the 32 channel hack, on the 4Mbps quality setting. I'll play around with it some more but my first impression is that it is no where near as good as the P3P. :-(

Do you have an early P3P like me with the Version A controller? If so the output is roughly 30% stronger compared to the later version P3P's and P4.

Do you have an early P3P like me with the Version A controller? If so the output is roughly 30% stronger compared to the later version P3P's and P4.

Yes I meant to say that I have the original P3P controller. Wonder what would happen if I rebound it to my P4! That might be the way.

I'm worried, my P4 didn't perform nearly as well today as my P3 from the same location, with or without windsurfer. Without windsurfer it started crapping out at around 2000, and with WS at about 3000. I get twice that with P3 in this particular suburb area. I'll be trying shorelines next where I usually get over 10,000 with my P3 using windsurfer. I think everyone who expects P4 to perform like P3 for distance is going to be disappointed, I hope I'm wrong. I'll be interested to hear more results from others.

Last edited:
I'm worried, my setup didn't perform nearly as well today as my P3 from the same location, with or without windsurfer. Without windsurfer it started crapping out at around 2000, and with at about 3000. I get twice that with P3 in this particular suburb area. I'll be trying shorelines next where I usually get over 10,000 with my P3. I think everyone who expects P4 to perform like P3 for distance is going to be disappointed, I hope I'm wrong. I'll be interested to hear more results from others.

:-(

Very strange maybe they tuned it down.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

That is strange. You'd think at a minimum it would have the same transmitter hardware as P3P, if not better. I can't imagine them deliberately tuning it down for any reason.

I was thinking it would go farther

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes I meant to say that I have the original P3P controller. Wonder what would happen if I rebound it to my P4! That might be the way.
For video is the power of the bird's Lightbridge sending the video signal to the ground has the greatest affect on achieving long distance, more than the RC receiving it. The RC transmission power helps to control the craft longer distances.

Reactions: Yeager74
I'm doing s range test for a Digital Trends review. Had no trouble until it left my line of sight. 8,895 feet.

image.png

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl