P4 owner in trouble with the law......

PEople are so ready to believe anything they are told. I googled the Orem story and found no more then what was "quoted" by the "News. And no word of the story beyond that initial story, from a Facebook story. I just read about people who plant false stories on Facebook just to get a penny a pop for those of us who click on such alluring stories. 4 pages of comments on this string has probably garnered a few more clicks. Police don't use these tactics when they are investigating perverts. They wouldn't expect a known violator to turn himself in for anything. And they certainly wouldn't use such levity.
If you want to believe such tripe, go ahead. But I know a lot about press and police and all of this sounds like somebody Is enjoying rattling cages, and those of you who are getting your hostilities out on fictitious scenerios have imagined all kinds of pretty unlikely possibilities. But it all contributes to the popular occupation of the unreasonable drone haters. Sad.
Awe, come on! We have to find something to discuss while we wait for delivery of our long awaited Mavic Pro and P4P+ orders! Fact or fiction, it is still one of the top threads from last week! :p I learned all about the Coolpix Nikon P900, a peeper's dream camera!

Reactions: Neon Euc
PEople are so ready to believe anything they are told. I googled the Orem story and found no more then what was "quoted" by the "News. And no word of the story beyond that initial story, from a Facebook story. I just read about people who plant false stories on Facebook just to get a penny a pop for those of us who click on such alluring stories. 4 pages of comments on this string has probably garnered a few more clicks. Police don't use these tactics when they are investigating perverts. They wouldn't expect a known violator to turn himself in for anything. And they certainly wouldn't use such levity.
If you want to believe such tripe, go ahead. But I know a lot about press and police and all of this sounds like somebody Is enjoying rattling cages, and those of you who are getting your hostilities out on fictitious scenerios have imagined all kinds of pretty unlikely possibilities. But it all contributes to the popular occupation of the unreasonable drone haters. Sad.

Fact or fiction, I would reiterate my statement #69.
Critique for the critiquer = "scenerios" is spelled with an "a" = scenarios

Has anyone called the listed phone number (801-229-7070) to get more info / corroborate the story?
Is the facebook post 'genuine' ... anyone can make an FB page and claim anything.

The story was actually broadcast on the TV News (sorry, I watched and listened, but did not record the link - easy to find via web search, "Ogden Utah drone") and thus seems very credible.

BUT, I have a theory about the awkward Facebook approach: I think the "offender" is either the Mayor or a prominent member of the City Council. hehe :)

Gulp! Sorry about the misspell. Aside from that, seeing something on national news means nothing. I was at an even a few years back that was experiencing some difficulties. I watched the news about the event and they were reporting things that were not at all true. They were reporting that the event was over. That everyone was leaving, and this was while people were still arriving and the event hadn't even started. I don't know if they were fed incorrect information by the police just to get the public to quit coming, or maybe the news was getting information from some other source, but I was just shocked. I always believed the news but this changed the way I look at news. I believe that if we are relying on the Network news for our source of information, we should not be re stating it as truth. Since that time, I have paid closer attention to news broadcasts, and never has it been worse than with this latest election debacle. It's not so much what they say as the way they say it and the words they use that make us think that it is as they want it to appear. Like to describe the social services when they remove a child from a family because of abuse. From the service, they were saving the child. From some reporter not sympathetic to the childs situation, and without any further investigation, report the child as being "ripped" away from it's family. Words are used like that all the time to elicit a particular reaction to their story. And with the election, reporters just flat out reported the news of our president-elect with an unconcealed bias of their own. I wouldn't repeat anything I heard on the news, as being true.
The worst I have seen so far, concerning the subject of drones, was when they reported the "agressive" manner of the drone that was "approaching" the sheriff's helicopter. The helicopter was actually approaching the drone that they had spotted in the air. That's what I saw. It wasn't like the drone was approaching the helicopter. (You may have noticed that there was only a couple of times that we actually saw the sheriffs helicopter on the news. The first report was that the helicopter was going over to investigate the drone. There were lots of observers there and the only ones who saw a problem was the Sheriff's who were apparently afraid that they were going to be attacked by the drone. It's like the entire attitude of police. If you don't do exactly what they say, you are being agressive. And we all know what would happen if our drones got struck by a slow moving big object. We all fly drones. How difficult do you think it would be to fly your drone into the intake of a moving helicopter even if you were trying. Maybe some drone racer would have the quick responses to dart around and be a danger. And what do you think would be the result of a helicopter blade hitting our drone. Remember the guy who wrote in wondering about the blood on the props of his Phantom? If I were flying a drone getting photos of what was really going on in such a wild confrontation at the pipeline standoff in Dakota, and saw a sheriff's helicopter approaching, I'd want to get pictures of it too. Just because there is a real helicopter in the area, doesn't mean that they can't share the air space. Two helicopters can do it by watching each other and not getting in each others way. They do it all the time. Just because a helicopter is in the area, doesn't mean that we should immediately get out of the air. The way the news reported it makes it sound like just being visible to each other constitutes a danger. If I was in the air and a Helicopter approached me I'd watch it closely and if it didn't stop I'd have to assume that it was being agressive to me so I would keep out of it's way.
I know there are lots of idiots out there at drone controls. You know the FAA says that if an airplane comes within a half mile of another aircraft it's a near collision. Unless of course they are near an airport, where apparently people are aware and watching where they are going and then they can come lots closer without danger. Let's quit being babies and work on integrating airspace with some common sense. It's going to happen eventually. You see people freaking out when they think that a drone is there to watch THEM. How can you fight that kind of paranoia? People are so self centered, they think that everything is about them. If there is a drone it must be spying on them.

ANd while I'm on a rant, I did some digging into the subject of Laser Beams. To have a laser strong enough to burn anything or cause blindness or injury, you have to spend a LOT of money on the machinery that can produce a dangerous amount of light and then you'd have to aim it accurately. If a laser can blind pilots, then why send a missile in a war? These little pens and levels on our saws and tools (and especially the bar code readers on check out registers at wall mart, etc. I have caught a beam in my eye inadvertently quite often) are not dangerous. Someone standing on the ground pointing their little pen towards an airplane. Picture it. The pilot sees a little green or red spot on the ceiling of his cockpit. Danger? Well maybe if you were to stare right into it for a long while. But risking blindness, even temporary? Come on. So what does a pilot do. Why, he looks out of his port to see where it 's coming from! If you see a laser light--- don't look at it! Don't they know that? Where would you have to be located to shine a laser light into a pilots eyes? ( Oh, I know, on a mountain top, or in a tall buiilding near an airport. Well, we can imagine anything) People don't look into the truth of much at all. They think all lasers are dangerous. All drones are spying on them. If you don't run, you are aggressive. I find it hard to take people who are afraid of everything. The world has gone mad and I think our fixation on danger is going to kill us. And it's not so much the danger being real, but if someone does have a problem, they want someone to BLAME! You'll probably not believe this, but a lot of people don't like me.
There. I feel better now. sorry for stirring the pot. Lets get back to reality and enjoy our fine photographs!!
MikeyP

Reactions: Tommymonkey
Remember drone hit a British Airways plane in April was on national news turns out to be a plastic bag.
Nothing positive about drone usage on the media these days just bad press.
Bad press sells news.

Has anyone called the listed phone number (801-229-7070) to get more info / corroborate the story?
Is the facebook post 'genuine' ... anyone can make an FB page and claim anything.

The FB page does belong to the Orem PD and it's an actual post:

需要安全验证

The Orem PD would need to invest time in finding this person (no guarantee when he will be home or that he'd answer the door). Easier to start out with a post showing that you have the person's drone and photo and see if indeed he does turn himself in.

Umm....turning himself in incriminates him. It's a trap. Apparently, they don't have enough without a confession! :rolleyes: Better to let sleeping dogs/drones lie. ;)

Last edited:
The story is strange indeed. Also, if the pic used is the the pic from the drone than the P4 is not the drone they found. That photo shows a black Autel X-Star tx, the black one came with the bright orange X-Star.

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 6.59.11 PM✨.png
Pair_RC_Thumbnail.jpg

The story is strange indeed. Also, if the pic used is the the pic from the drone than the P4 is not the drone they found. That photo shows a black Autel X-Star tx, the black one came with the bright orange X-Star.

View attachment 70715 View attachment 70716

Someone has their eagle eye out ;) i noticed the controller mount looked odd for a P4 , but didnt realize it was from an X-star.. wierd they did show the "found" craft as a P4 in the FB post.....

Umm....turning himself in incriminates him. It's a trap. Apparently, they don't have enough without a confession! :rolleyes: Better to let sleeping dogs/drones lie. ;)

Plenty of people turn themselves in when they have a warrant out. It's in no way an admission. You can even plead the 5th and not answer any questions. I don't know if they actually have a warrant. If they do, turning yourself in save the aggravation that you get pulled into the PD at any time.

Plenty of people turn themselves in when they have a warrant out. It's in no way an admission. You can even plead the 5th and not answer any questions. I don't know if they actually have a warrant. If they do, turning yourself in save the aggravation that you get pulled into the PD at any time.
Indeed. This is not that situation. They have no warrant and they only have a bad picture. If you come forward and say that's my picture and that's me, you better have a solid alibi! This is a phishing expedition! No good can come of raising your hand. :cool:

Indeed. This is not that situation. They have no warrant and they only have a bad picture. If you come forward and say that's my picture and that's me, you better have a solid alibi! This is a phishing expedition! No good can come of raising your hand. :cool:

its really interesting to see the comments on FB and how many folks support this tactic from the police. if they know who it is but have no warrant, seems really odd at best. i wonder did the police legally have the right to pull the SD card and read the data without a warrant, i wonder if thats the issue?

I guess we'll have to wait until Christmas Day to see if the police keeps their promise ...
They 'threatened' that, if he does not turn himself in, they'll show up at his door and pick him up on Christmas Morning.

I guess we'll have to wait until Christmas Day to see if the police keeps their promise ...
They 'threatened' that, if he does not turn himself in, they'll show up at his door and pick him up on Christmas Morning.
Good day to not be home! Announcing their intentions, if they are legit, pretty much assures he won't be at home on Christmas morning. This sounds much more like a fake reality show, than police business.:rolleyes:

Reactions: GhostRdrTat
Ppl like this gives good ppl a bad rep.. I can't tell you how many ppl I have told "hey I got this new drone check it out!" And the first thing out of their mouths were, "oh god, I hope your not spying on ppl" or "oh so you can be nosey and look in ppls yards and houses" stuff like that. It's so annoying to me. I fly my drone for the site seeing and adventure. To capture amazing shots that one could never do with just a normal camera or human eye. The shots you can get with a drone is just mind blowing, and can give you a whole new prospective on how our beautiful planet looks.. And that's exactly how I respond to them.. With an added " you know, not all ppl use drones for bad"

Ppl hear a few bad story's on the news. And the news makes it out to be as if all ppl with drones are using them improperly .. It's the same as how the news media affects major things such as the presidential campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart