P4 Initial Impressions - Should You Buy It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Thanks for those who have chimed in on their impressions and comments on the new P4. Also thanks for the lively debates on whether the P4 is/was worth the upgrade.

I think it is a personal decision largely dependent on what you are going to use it for. After my initial flight I was pretty impressed on stability, handling and the obstacle avoidance.

My uses
* golf course video/photography
* resort/hotel photography
* real estate photography (to get cool shots for friends property.

I like the P3 platform but 2 things have urked me. One is too much props in footage. (yes i could fly slower) and I am still pissed about my one crash hitting a tree flying a fairway on a golf course. (minor and no major damage but was far from home and lost my opportunity to shoot). When the P4 came out, i just sunk becuase the obstacle avoidance would have prevented the crash.

I personally purchased the P4 for less props (comes at a disadvantage for flying slower in P mode) but the obstacle avoidance is huge (but at the moment it is only good if flying forward not backword or sideways)

The camera I think is the same but my video seemed to be slightly more stable. (maybe having dual imu's or better gimbal or new props might be the reason)

Battery life is slightly better and not as high as promised. I think if you are using it for photography it is more than enough time to get what you need if you plan ahead on what you are trying to do. (no matter what the platform you are going to purchase several batteries)

If you are trying to race to the moon and back..you will never be happy.

This post is not meant for the next great debate but maybe for the person routinely coming here trying to determine if the P4 is worth upgrading to.

For me, it seemed like a good decision. (yes I know in the next few weeks, months or quarters a new one is coming with better features.)

I will be selling my P3 despite having all the gear. (charging hubs, 5-6 batteries, case, extra props.) Every second i wait it depreciates. I would hold for a backup but nothing is compatible with current P4.

Some of the other features are cool but do not needed by me. (if they are for you then you know your answer.)

If you are still struggling with your decision...this is the best advice I got that I did not take. (When i was exploring buying the inspire pro) The guy on inspire pilots said if you like your platform (the p3) and it does what you need than stick with it. Yes I did buy the inspire pro and it is sitting next to me. I purchased for less props in videos (lol..i know..I can just fly slower) The inspire is a beast..like flying a remote controlled lawnmower. Plus steep learning curve on camera for a guy who just likes to plug and play. Hmmm..not sure it my flown for less than 5 minutes inspire is going to hit ebay too....but the depreciation clock is a ticking...LOL.

If you love what you got..fly it! If you think the new features are more safe, a better experience, easier to fly than buy it.

Oh..my initial impression of the photo quality was it sucked..but then i realized I still had the lens protector sticker on. Once removed it was great. (hey if you cannot laugh at yourself then you are taking this stuff way to seriously.)

Reactions: Hovtech
There is a thread for comparisons to the P3. Please repost there. This is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor