P4 Controller

Reaction score
I am sure this topic has been here before, but I thought I might get an updated answer since the P4+ controller has been out for a while now. Obvious question which is better and why... the P4+ controller or using an iPad (which model and does it need to have cellular and active?). I am still saving so I thought I would get opinions.

Thanks in advance...

This video explains the pros and cons:

Cool thanks... but what is your opinion, if you have a moment. User interaction can mean more than a video.

what is your opinion
I agree with all of the points in the above video.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

The video talked about needing to set your phone up as a hotspot? What if you can't do that because of your plan? How do you update the maps?

You can cache the maps in DJI GO like this.

You can that with the P4+ controller. Do you just connect it to your wifi before flying to update the maps as if your phone is connected?

Ok... I know you said that you agreed with all the points with P4+ controller, but is that the one that you use? Do you know if you use a tablet does it need to have cellular? I read that it had to be capable but activated. Something to do with the gps

I use the P4P+ and love it. No more hassles with hoods and glare. Clearer graphics than Ipad also.
(I also have an Inspire 1 that I use an ipad with, but have ordered the Crystal Sky for it.)
I have no desire to run any 3rd party apps, so that doesn't bother me.
There seems to be a lot of posts of Litchi problems lately.....

Litchi is the 2nd main app used with these isn't. Have you ever tried to side load another app on the controller? And do you tether your phone to the controller?

is that the one that you use?
I also own the P4A/P4P remote controller. I do a lot of testing with my drones, so I really don't fly just with the P4P+ remote controller. It all depends on what I need to do when I'm flying.

Do you know if you use a tablet does it need to have cellular?
When using Apple mobile devices, you need a cellular model if you want a mobile device with a GPS receiver. The cell service does not have to be activated. With GPS on your mobile device, you'll be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and/or manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you don't need to use those features, then you don't need GPS on your mobile device. All other GPS related features use GPS data from the Phantom's internal GPS receiver.

msinger
That makes a lot of sense. I wasn't sure why it was needed. Can you just easily switch controllers with these? And the controller is the only difference between P4 Pro+ and the regular P4 Pro... correct?

Can you just easily switch controllers with these?
Yes, you'll just need to re-link the remote controller each time you switch (since only one remote controller can be connected to the Phantom at a time). It takes about 20 seconds to re-link the remote controller in DJI GO.

And the controller is the only difference between P4 Pro+ and the regular P4 Pro... correct?
Yes.

Thanks for all the info, it really helps. Do you use an iPad or droid tablet? I have already heard people say that droid has issues.

Do you use an iPad or droid tablet?
I use both Apple and Android devices. If I could only have one device, I'd use an iPhone 7 or iPad Mini 4. Both work well right out of the box.

I'm one who only uses litchi, so if it don't work on the P4+, I'd have to pass. But the brightness sounds great, I almost have to stick my head in a hole to see my iPad Air2 even in the shade. Used litchi now about 12 months no problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72