P3S Extracting Footage

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just received my P3S yesterday and had my first test flight last night,
I recorded some footage in 2.7k,
Would putting the micro sd in my computer and uploading the footage directly to YouTube, keep the quality at 2.7k, or would it degrade it ?,
Or copy from the sd card to my computer then send to my iPad and upload it through iMovie with backing track added,
Would this depreciate the quality from 2.7k ?
Thanks for any help with this,
As I am new, I don't quite understand it all just yet,
Thanks,
Liam

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I would copy of sd card to computer and edit it on the computer, keeping the original file separate to the edited version.

Then would upload to YouTube etc.

Had these same thoughts myself since I hadn't tried YouTube before, it definitely downgrades it, I think 720p is the best I've managed, which is disappointing, but I have seen videos on YouTube at 1080p but I've no idea how to get them up in that quality.

YouTube should have 1080p videos. I have upload 1080p (not from phantom) to YouTube and it gives me 1080p version.

YouTube re-encodes the video and you do lose some quality.

If I record a 4K video on my iPhone and upload it straight to YouTube then it only shows at best 1080p,
If I open the same video in iMovie and upload it to YouTube from within iMovie, then it uploads and shows the full 4K quality,
That's what I was wondering with the 2.7k from the P3S,
Do I put it into iMovie and upload it from there or straight through YouTube,
4K video shows on YouTube as 2160p and 2.7k from the phantom should in effect show 1524p, more than 1080p,
My theory anyway

Sorta OT but I never take my card out but get my footage from the gimbal and then just reformat my card before I power off though app .
Then I deal with it on my PC .

Might seem a lot of hassle, but to only get 1080p from the P3S by directly uploading to YouTube, I've just checked my above theory and it's correct, I am currently uploading a P3S video though iMovie on my iPad and it's given me the 4K quality option to upload, so I'm assuming this will drop it and render the full 2.7k,
Yeah might seem a hassle, but if you have an iOS device and iMovie, then this is definitely the way to go,
Kind of answered my own question lol.
518b25ab7d7fbade03d680720c5a4cce.jpg

I have a mac but I would not use iMovie when I have access to Adobe Premiere.

Also I would upload the video manually to YouTube than rely on option in the editing software.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I upload 4k video from my Samsung Note 4 directly to YouTube, and it DOES NOT downgrade it.
if you upload your 2.7k video to YouTube it will probably show up as 1440, because 2.7k is a non-standard resolution.
Also, don't go by what the quality says on your mobile device. For some odd reason, it seems that YouTube limits the display for mobile devices.
For instance, my Note 4 records in 4k. When I upload a 4k video from my Note4 to YouTube, and then watch that YouTube video on my Note4, it only plays at 1440, but if I watch the same video on my computer it allows 4k viewing.
Also, when I upload 2.7k or 4k to YouTube, it will NOT playback in HD right away. A little while later it will play in HD.

Lastly, if you want to do some editing, etc. you must use a video editing software that will EXPORT to the resolution that you desire.
They almost all will import the 2.7k video, but some limit the output to 1080.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yeah kind of the same for me,
When I play the footage on YouTube from my iPad, then stream it to my 4K tv, it shows as hd, then a few seconds later, the 4K icon appears,
Looks actually quite stunning even if it is only 2.7k,
I was going to get the P3P or the P34K just for the extra resolution on the camera,
But pleased I never bothered now as this looks great.
Also shows quality option as 2160p in the playback quality box.
In my opinion, iMovie seems to do a pretty good job.

Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl