P3S Antenna swap testing

I might be putting the kaibash on my antenna testing and work with my P3S.

I got my P3Advanced, and wholly crapola. It is definitely a worthy upgrade vs a P3S.

Fired it up and headed the same way/place I ran out of signal at 2100feet with the 6DB extended antenna @ 300feet height and I still had full 100% signal and video after 3500feet, after which I turned around as it is over wooded area with no access. LOL

Also odd, but the drone seems 'quieter'. I ran my P3S and P3A next to eachother and the P3A is quieter. I'm using 9450L on the P3A and the stock props on the P3S (9450 I think).

Few other things also, but one thing I noticed, the P3A's battery life with an almost new (4 charges) battery was about 5 minutes less than my P3S with the same battery (3 charges), before it hit 30% charge.

Few other things also, but one thing I noticed, the P3A's battery life with an almost new (4 charges) battery was about 5 minutes less than my P3S with the same battery (3 charges), before it hit 30% charge.
From what I hear, the P3S weights less than a P3A or P3P, So, it makes sense getting more flight time with the P3S.

I flew my P3S for the first time today. Everything works good. Tomorrow I will push the range and hope I don't have any of the reported distance problems.

Also tomorrow I will try to find a place on the ground where I can place the P3S and loose the 5.8ghz RC signal. Then, turn on the REDbird 5.8ghz Repeater somewhere in between to verify the RC signal is restored.

New to phantom waiting for my p3s to arrive have a qx350 I'm familiar with taking antennas off as I added a GPS mast to my QX 350... was looking at your pictures and seen that you added the antenna what does that improve the controller or Wi-Fi signal and can I add two external antennas and improve both distance for controlling and viewing don't really feel like going for that DB mod any help would be much appreciated

The antenna in the middle only improves the control signal strength. By quite far though in my testing. In an area with tall trees surrounding me, very spotty LOS, changing to a 5db larger antenna almost doubled my range before RTH gets tripped.

I have a 9db 16" antenna I will try with it next, just for SH&G, even though the range of my P3A is scary long and I've been playing with that one lately. Hehehe.

The 2.4Ghz antennas are inside the controller, aimed at a slight down angle, so they have to be properly aimed towards the P3S to get best range.

The antenna in the middle only improves the control signal strength. By quite far though in my testing. In an area with tall trees surrounding me, very spotty LOS, changing to a 5db larger antenna almost doubled my range before RTH gets tripped.

I have a 9db 16" antenna I will try with it next, just for SH&G, even though the range of my P3A is scary long and I've been playing with that one lately. Hehehe.

The 2.4Ghz antennas are inside the controller, aimed at a slight down angle, so they have to be properly aimed towards the P3S to get best range.

oh thanks happytreefriends for the heads up... guess ill have to get it first, and up date it and test it.......I dont want to spend a lot $$ on mods...hope a wire and antenna isnt to $$... I was looking at blade chroma $1050 but heard range not good,(now today they giving extra batteries with new purchases ) ,hope this p3s works for me !! so i seen P3S on e bay so I bought it on e bay for$ 650 as I was confused thought it had same system as p3 A litebridge :{ i tried to get dji to take off my hands as it is brand new in wrapper and trade it for a P3A no luck,,, they said they only take back P3 from there store so looks like im stuck .. so i will need a spare battery and probally case and antennas,,,and square trade Ins $100 2 yrs the $ begins.....
thanks for update
Ray

Last edited:
Hi happy
been flying my p3s. Wow solid way better then qx350 allthough controller is resl sensitive. .. but to no surprise 150 feet up or 1000 feet dist start seing loss of radio signal. ; ( ..

I know you have the P3A and haven't been playing too much with the P3s anttnnas .. my question to you is you almost tripled distance with the 6dbi antenna?.. do u think the dbs be that much stronger distant ranges? Then ur setup?

The dbs mod 120 kinda bulky

Yours easy to take apart transport im sure yours under 20? .. as seen on amazon 2 6bi and connectors $10

Any guidance you could give me would be greatly appreciated

Hi happy
been flying my p3s. Wow solid way better then qx350 allthough controller is resl sensitive. .. but to no surprise 150 feet up or 1000 feet dist start seing loss of radio signal. ; ( ..

Sounds like you got a bad unit, can you find somebody in your area you can test against, Like exchange remotes?

Dirk has posted pics of his P3S monitor showing him 7500 feet out with a few mods he installed.
You would have to check with him on what he did & cost of doing it but it seems he's got it dialed in nice.

Reactions: dirkclod
Guys,

I think the key for max distance out of the DBS01 is to get the right cables. Seems Tony @ FPVLR is the only one that has them. They are just like the external cables for the mod, except they are the u.FL connectors. Probably get better range than the grey or black that come with the kit. I've got some on the way, and I will swap mine out and test. I'm expecting better results with those.

Reactions: dirkclod
Dirk has posted pics of his P3S monitor showing him 7500 feet out with a few mods he installed.
You would have to check with him on what he did & cost of doing it but it seems he's got it dialed in nice.
ayyyy!!!!.gif

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
Happytree
Did u ever get a chance to try the 9db antenna out... ??

I like the DBS mod but for carrying p3s in a backpack it would be a pain in the butt to disassemble..

I'd rather have a screw on antenna and sice I have been flying in different areas I've been doing pretty good for away just vertical height kind of limited..

Antenna 1 in your pics where did you purchase that in the wires?

Thx for your input

Happytree
Did u ever get a chance to try the 9db antenna out... ??

I like the DBS mod but for carrying p3s in a backpack it would be a pain in the butt to disassemble..

I'd rather have a screw on antenna and sice I have been flying in different areas I've been doing pretty good for away just vertical height kind of limited..

Antenna 1 in your pics where did you purchase that in the wires?

Thx for your input
Wecome to the forum Ray :)
Don't know if you know or not but will tell ya anyway . When you want someone try doing it like this
@happytreefriends and they will get a flag . Sometimes the alerts to threads don't work to swift ;)

ok thank you i was using my phone to respond, the computer has a lot more options !!!! my last flight i could barley see it pretty far 200m up worked great However every area is different !!! 1 area I was like 200 feet and losing control fed flash.. I guess today or tomorrow i will bite the bullet order dbs mod just for a clear head!! $ 130 and open transmitter fight with glue :0( ......I know winter coming and black friday hate to buy it then the usual, a week later something better comes along and cheaper!!!! maybe happys 9 db antenna might be all i need but i see you are really happy with dbs mod..

I bought a back pack $60 had to cut it out as made for advance and pro so now with mod wont fit!!! hate to keep taking dbs on and off rather leave on ....

really a great machine I love blade suppourt and RTH on qx 350 but this standard WOW its great at filming, and the app wow a little too sensitive guess i have to adjust or learn and stop flying blade and phantom i practically broke qx 350 transmitter pulling back in ap mode.....

thanks for the heads up

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl