P3S Antenna swap testing

Reaction score
I'm going to try a bunch of different Antennas to extend the 5.8Ghz Control and 2.4Ghz Wifi/Video ranges in an ongoing Thread.

ANyone can add anything related to this discussion. The more ideas the better.

I installed an RP-SMA connector in place of the stock antenna mast so I can test things out easily.
rc1_zpsyj0ykfas.jpg

(Notes : I glued down the cables for the SP1 & SP2 switches as they were literally in front of the 2.4Ghz Patch Antennas. Make sure you guys do that too as that can impede the signal also).

antennas1_zpsaeq1mmwx.jpg

Stock white antenna gave me 1000-1200feet distance from my house at 250feet height, with line of sight over trees. Behind trees with limited Line Of Sight, it was 800 feet.

I attached a 5db antenna (#2) and I got 2130feet distance at 250feet, struggling to get Line of Sight through trees. So just by that Antenna swap I gained about 800feet.

Next I will try Antenna #1 which is a tri-pole 6DB I had. I'll report back in.

Reactions: witold
Happy,

Have you considered doing the DBS01 full mod like I've done? You'll be happy with the ranges. I ripped out all those 2.4GHz patch antennas. I haven't fully "maxed" out horizontal distance, but I'm easily getting well over 3000ft out near a popular sports lake full of cottages here in MI. I know Dataa has mentioned he's gotten up to 2.8 miles with that DBS01.

Reactions: dirkclod
Would you or could you test the stock antenna through the RP-SMA connector? What's does the stock antenna look like on the inside?

Rod,

No you can not. I tried attaching a pic of the stock antennae here that you can see, although the white housing is out of the pic, you'd be able to see what I'm talking about.

Sorry......I found the issue, its here at my office it will not let me upload pics! You should see it now :)

Attachments

• Stock Antennae.jpg
    Stock Antennae.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 675
Last edited:
D'oh!, I was spacing out, I probably posted the first picture of the inside of P3s remote.
So the cable must just go to the top tip?
Some point the shield has to stop and become an antenna. Must be the same as the two antennas on the craft.

I have same problems uploading pictures, I am the owner and setup our LAN. ;)
Remember its Monday and BIG-MOON Week.

Reactions: iquadtography
I cut the stock antenna apart and will post a pic of it.
It is basically a basic dipole with two small sealed cylindrical tubes in a vertical arrangements. Bottom ground.

I haven't decided on a dbs1 setup yet. Curious to see what other options are out there.
I wanted to try a windsurfer after I test a few diff antennas.

I am looking for the specs of the 2.4Ghz patch antennas but they have no discerning markings on them. I'll contact DJI to see if they'll help.

*UPDATE*
Slightly stormy weather, cloudy, and something is up with GPS's as even my phone's GPS was losing signal while driving around the state (which it never does). So I chalk down bad signal day today.

Today I tested : Straight up with antenna laying down flat to get most signal to go straight up.
Stock antenna : 638ft, then loss of signal (Video fine).
Stock antenna with windsurfer : 1112ft, then loss of signal (Video Fine)
Antenna #1 : 1536ft, then loss of signal
Antenna #2 : 1056ft, then loss of signal

It was also very windy as I could see the P3S almost sideways trying to keep stationary in the video.

I have to go try horizontal if I can find a very long and clear field around me.

Not likely a bad signal day, but don't be too discouraged yet as straight up is the worst orientation between the quad and controller regardless of how the controller's antennas are oriented.

Dipoles and have a toroidal response or radiation pattern and thus the ends are the worst or least sensitive/effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
I'm not sure I'd say that. It's a very basic Sleeve antenna . Not really efficient by design, sturdy though. The top cylinder did not have the wire in it, it was just connected to the cable at the bottom.

The transmitter for the control (not the Wifi) must be putting out some good power to get the range this thing gives with the stock antenna.

Wish we could test the wattage.

I gotta get to that range to check this thing out (although I have decided to buy a P3Pro or Advanced in a few days. Lightbridge is calling my name. :)

Reactions: iquadtography
I'll probably sell it here since I already modded the controller, after I have the new 1.

Might do a range comparison between the 2 first though.

That's not a bad idea. Since this is such a fun project, I wouldn't mind doing the same thing (of course I wouldn't make mine any cheaper than yours if I did, wouldn't be fair). I don't think my wife would go for getting another one though if I hadn't sold the first already..........LOL.

Will you do a DBS mod on the P3A/P3P?

Not sure what a fair price would be for a modded P3S? I have the DBS01. I think Happytree just swapped antennas but doesn't have the Wi-Fi booster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20