P3S Antenna swap testing

I purchased a P3S Controller last week and have now successfully adapted the REDbird Repeating system to it.

Next I need to purchase a P3S drone to confirm and prove a first flight using the REDbird Repeater.

Oh that's great! How much range are you expecting to get from your specific mod with the P3S? I'm seriously debating on upgrading to a P3A.... More because I am curious as to the light bridge technology versus the WiFi.

Here is my opinion/viewpoint:
Flat out range is one thing. Being able to fly from or in to places that were once impossible is another.

I get 1.2 miles, at Ground Level, using a second repeater helper drone. No antenna mods required on the controller.
Mounting ontop my car and setting inside, I get a little more range. But that is not the point. Now I can set inside my car and out of the elements.​

Ground Level Access is the point.

Watch the Demo Videos on the redbirdrf.com site.

If you want to fly into and out of places that no other commercial or consumer drone can go, then there is currently only one way to do it. Must use a P2V+ or P3S. (The P3A, P3P, or Inspire 1 cant come close.)

Two ways to use the system:
  • Car Roof Top Mount - Set comfortably inside your car for all season flying
  • Repeater-Helper Drone Mount - Access the Inaccessible

Gary,

Thanks for info! Now when you mention "If you want to fly into and out of places that no other commercial or consumer drone can go, then there is currently only one way to do it. Must use a P2V+ or P3S. (The P3A, P3P, or Inspire 1 cant come close.)",

Can you expand on that a little bit? Are you referring to flying behind buildings, descending into areas where you couldn't before, etc???

I might mod the new one too after I do range testing. Not sure yet.
I modified the P3s controller to accept standard screw in antennas, no amplifiers or anything. Although next step would have been to install a mini 2watt amp inline with the main 5.8ghz antenna.

Dunno about the resell price as I could always keep as a spare or part it out for more $$.lol

So sounds like your setup needs a booster/repeater drone to begin with. That will work for accessing areas not in LOS, but the logistics of parking/flying it out and placing it in the area first and the costs with running 2 drones is probably only feasible total video nuts or professionals.

Too bad we can't bounce the 2.4 and 5.8ghz signals off satellites. Lol

HappyTree:
If you mount my setup on a second repeater-helper drone, you do not need amps and controller mods. Your new P3S will literally fly into places that no other drone you can purchase can go. No amplifier or controller mod can pull it off.

I am just now finishing the P3S solution. The P2V+ solution works flawlessly.

"Its a matter of Physics, not Technology."

If you have not yet... please watch a few of my demo videos on redbirdrf.com. Watch the West Virginia flight.​

Scott:
I have a thread in the P2V+ / Antenna Mods section of this web site.​

Reactions: Santiego
I understand how it works we've done this year's ago in the service in areas no signal went to from sats, but considering it now requires 2 drones and everything I don't think it's feasible for a non pro, even then it might not be worth the logistical headaches.

IMO

.. I don't think it's feasible for a non pro, even then it might not be worth the logistical headaches.

IMO
Dude.. It is an easy one man operation.

I have been doing it alone for many months, It is very feasible. Every single flight you see in all my videos I do it by myself,

Once you place the repeater-helper-drone overhead, it might as well be on a very tall pole. It stays there until you command it to come home.

Or.. simply suction cup mount to the top of you car and set inside for all season flying.

That's my point. 'Simple' for you, but it is a major increase in price and headaches to do it.
Like I said. Pro's ..maybe... Casual & Home users.. Doubt it.

Lets see:
You joined this forum a few weeks ago and then posted a strange request for WiFI transmission specifications to better-identify an ISM 2.4ghz antenna.

And... you bought a P3S and now gonna side line it and now buy a P3A or P3P... and you have it all figured out.​

Got it.

Seriously. WHAT does that have to do with anything??
I am stating an opinion that most people will NOT use a 2nd drone just so they can go behind a building to take video of unless they are Professionals or really into that thing.

Most home and casual users will NOT do this..

That's like saying, you can put your car on a trailer, drag it behind a truck about 300 miles, just so you can go another 300 with the car.. It's a logistical issue.

*SMH*

Also, can we get back to the Original Topic at hand?
Before you started plugging your upcoming product, we were discussing the testing of different types of antennas using the stock system.

Thank You

Reactions: dirkclod
The Logical Issue is to see the other mounting implementation...

Mounting ontop you car roof top or camera tripod mount. (you'll see when you try to view your sun drenched screen standing outside exposed to the elements.)

That is... separating the Control Point from the Radio Uplink Point... like all military drones are currently operated. (that is... operators set in one place while the radio control tower is elsewhere.)

Mounting on a second repeater-helper drone is for people, I assumed like you and your newly discarded P3S, throwing money at cool technology.​

Dude.. you were the one using your own thread to sell your P3S and buy another drone not associated with this thread.

At least my stuff stays in the interest of this thread. That is... what is possible for the very new P3S.

SO.. you gonna sell your P3S or keep it ?

Last reply to you about this.

You were the one asking about me selling my P3S. I may or may NOT do so, which is what I said.

I stand by my opinion on using a 2nd drone to bounce the signal. If you don't like, it, well, dunno what to tell you about that. Putting the 2nd transmitter on the outside of the car so you can comfortably use it makes sense and is probably useful for more wide-range of people, IF it is stronger than the stock setup.

Please.. No more plugging your product in this thread and de-railing it. Thanks

blank stare.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic