P3A Position Hold Issue

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here so be gentle.

I've had my P3A for about 3 weeks now and have flown it a handful of times. On the weekend I was showing it to a friend on my driveway.....Just took off, flew left/right a bit and then came in to land. When landing it kind of banked off to the right and went into my garage door. Was probably about 6 inches off the ground and traveling pretty slowly, but it did hit the deck. Since then, whenever I try and fly it, it doesn't seem to hold it's position, even with little or no wind. I'll take off, get to about 6 feet in the air and it just kind of drifts about, not holding it's position too well. Since the minor crash, I have flown it further, in a large, flat field and it seemed stable and flew well, it's just the position hold that doesn't seem too clever.

I wanted to check that firstly, the quad should hold position better than this. And if it should, is there anything I can do to resolve?

I've already tried:

Doing an IMU calibration
Doing a compass calibration
Changed the props for the spare, brand new set

I'm a bit worried now that I've done some permanent damage, even tho the crash was pretty minior.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

How much drifting to you get? P3A does drift a significant amount compare to a p4. I own both and I sometimes see up to 5 feet of slow drifting from were I left the craft originally with the aircraft starting at 6ft above ground. The aircraft also tend to lose altitude. If you get less than 5 ft of slow drifting than I would consider than normal. P4 is rock solid and won't move an inch like magic,

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: zammo25
How much drifting to you get? P3A does drift a significant amount compare to a p4. I own both and I sometimes see up to 5 feet of slow drifting from were I left the craft originally with the aircraft starting at 6ft above ground. The aircraft also tend to lose altitude. If you get less than 5 ft of slow drifting than I would consider than normal. P4 is rock solid and won't move an inch like magic,

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It's not a lot of drift tbh; probably within what you mentioned. I'm away for a few days now so I'll take it out when I get back and take a video to show you guys.....See if you think it's normal.

If this level of movement is normal, how do people manage to get such good night shots.....I wouldn't think that would be possible with the level of movement we're talking about. Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

My P3A doesn't drift at all, even in a light wind. Perhaps you have some interference where you live.

What kind of thing.....like WiFi signals etc? Is this something that is known to cause lack of stability? I'll try taking it somewhere isolated as soon as to test.

IMHO your quad did not get a good GPS signal (blocked by house?) I find you need to be in the open area to get max. Satellites

IMHO your quad did not get a good GPS signal (blocked by house?) I find you need to be in the open area to get max. Satellites

Yeah it was in my back garden.....House one side of me, garage the other. Pretty built up area. I think it was showing 11 for connected satellites,but I guess if they're not great connections, it could still cause this issue?

Hoping it is something as simple as this rather than actual damage to the bird.

I also get a bit of a wander, right after take off, at 6-10', but, if I get some altitude, say 20' & up, she;s pretty stable, I;m thinking it has to do with being less than approx. 10' off the ground, P3A here.
I don't start camera up till I;m over 30-40' up & pics show no sign of "wander"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan