P2V+, Data Link and Ground Station - WORKS!!!!!

DronePilot said:
GS by itself works really well for me. However, just to get a good connection with the datalink I need to shutoff my wifi repeater. Seems as if the datalink signal is better then the stock 5.8Ghz control signal. As I fly around at some distance I can see the control link drop on the GS display left corner while I still appear to have strong signal to the datalink, albeit I've shut off the wifi repeater.

wattsn, EspenA or others who have tried the datalink and GS, can you comment on your experience with interference betweeb the datalink and wifi?

EspenA: Did changing your wifi channel help?
Thanks.

Hello all.

Been a while since I posted here.

First of all, it's clear to me now that most of us have connection problems and only a few seems to have the setup working well (still not sure they have tested it thoroughly enough yet though :)).
I have been doing tweaks and tests for the last week and done about 20-30 flights trying to get this to work well. To sum it up, I haven't :(

Let me first of all clarify a couple of things. I guess people here that have tried this, is very caught up in the signal feedback showing in the GS app (the lines showing signal strength on the DataLink system) and the fact that we see on the screen (map) that the drone is reporting it's position.
This kind of testing is not good enough and the feedback "lies" a lot. Even though you see the signal is fair to good, it's NOT. Just try to issue commands (like pause and upload/update WP's) to your P2V+ in flight and 100-200+ feet away, and you'll see that it's not working very well, if at all! (most of the time it times out).
As soon as you turn off the FPV repeater the DataLink system works great (done testing out to about a kilometer out), no problem issuing commands at that range either.

So it's very clear to me that the two systems doesn't work well together and I don't think they ever will :(

So what have I done:

- Changed the FPV system on my P2V+ to use ch.11 (also tested 5,6 and 7) without any improvements. The reason for this is that the 2,4 DataLink system does not use WiFi and a specific frequency (channel), but the whole 2,4Ghz spectrum (2,400-2,483), and therefore even on ch. 11 the FPV system will mess up the DataLink connection :(
- Replaced the antennas on the DataLink Air unit in all kinds of positions, no improvements. Many states that it's important to have a 90 degree angle on the antenna of the air end (tried this to in many config's), but DJI's documentation states it's important that they point downwards (tried this too off course).
- Placed the repeater and the DataLink ground unit far apart (up to about 5-7 meters), only very minor improvements.
- Replaced the stock antenna on the DataLink ground unit to several other 2,4Ghz antennas (8 dbi and 12 dbi outdoor omnidirectional and 9 dbi, outdoor directional antenna), only very minor improvements.

The last thing I'm considering to try out at a last resort, is to strip the air end DataLink unit and place it inside the P2V+, to see it this works any better, but I'm very reluctant to do this. Highly chance of a shortcut and no guaranty that it will work better. Anyways, not decided yet.
I'm at least running out of ideas what to try and are more and more confident that this will never work good enough (at least for me).

Another thing that I'm really considering is going the 900Mhz DataLink way instead. The problem with this is the antenna part of the air end unit (it''s large and must point downwards), but this is something I'm pretty confident I can solve. The biggest problem for me is the steep price on the unit (520+ $, 3600+ NOK) and at least I have to be pretty confident this will work really good with both the P2V+ system and BTU unit (so that I can still use my iPAD), before I invest in that system.

So to finally sum it up from me (probably the third of forth sum up in this post :)), the 2,4Ghz DataLink system is a NO GO on our P2V+ :(

EspenA.

I don't think the 900mhz ground unit has the physical connector on it to even fit the BTU adapter. I guess one last option you could try is a 2.4ghz booster at the ground end, otherwise it's using GS or FPV, but not at the same time.

I've been trying to find a decent price on a used 900mhz data link system but no luck yet. I have GS installed on a surface pro tablet so the BTU adapter isn't needed at this point for me.

In any event I have a 2.4ghz booster arriving today that I planned on using for a controller mod. I'll test it on the ground end data link. I should also add that DJI recommends in their documentation to have the air end antennas offset 90 degrees, it's not just people recommending it.

EspenA said:
DronePilot said:
GS by itself works really well for me. However, just to get a good connection with the datalink I need to shutoff my wifi repeater. Seems as if the datalink signal is better then the stock 5.8Ghz control signal. As I fly around at some distance I can see the control link drop on the GS display left corner while I still appear to have strong signal to the datalink, albeit I've shut off the wifi repeater.

wattsn, EspenA or others who have tried the datalink and GS, can you comment on your experience with interference betweeb the datalink and wifi?

Thanks.

Hello all.

First of all, it's clear to me now that most of us have connection problems and only a few seems to have the setup working well (still not sure they have tested it thoroughly enough yet though :)).
I have been doing tweaks and tests for the last week and done about 20-30 flights trying to get this to work well. To sum it up, I haven't :(

Let me first of all clarify a couple of things. I guess people here that have tried this, is very caught up in the signal feedback showing in the GS app (the lines showing signal strength on the DataLink system) and the fact that we see on the screen (map) that the drone is reporting it's position.
This kind of testing is not good enough and the feedback "lies" a lot. Even though you see the signal is fair to good, it's NOT. Just try to issue commands (like pause and upload/update WP's) to your P2V+ in flight and 100-200+ feet away, and you'll see that it's not working very well, if at all! (most of the time it times out).
As soon as you turn off the FPV repeater the DataLink system works great (done testing out to about a kilometer out), no problem issuing commands at that range either.

So it's very clear to me that the two systems doesn't work well together and I don't think they ever will :(

So what have I done:

- Changed the FPV system on my P2V+ to use ch.11 (also tested 5,6 and 7) without any improvements. The reason for this is that the 2,4 DataLink system does not use WiFi and a specific frequency (channel), but the whole 2,4Ghz spectrum (2,400-2,483), and therefore even on ch. 11 the FPV system will mess up the DataLink connection :(
- Replaced the antennas on the DataLink Air unit in all kinds of positions, no improvements. Many states that it's important to have a 90 degree angle on the antenna of the air end (tried this to in many config's), but DJI's documentation states it's important that they point downwards (tried this too off course).
- Placed the repeater and the DataLink ground unit far apart (up to about 5-7 meters), only very minor improvements.
- Replaced the stock antenna on the DataLink ground unit to several other 2,4Ghz antennas (8 dbi and 12 dbi outdoor omnidirectional and 9 dbi, outdoor directional antenna), only very minor improvements.

The last thing I'm considering to try out at a last resort, is to strip the air end DataLink unit and place it inside the P2V+, to see it this works any better, but I'm very reluctant to do this. Highly chance of a shortcut and no guaranty that it will work better. Anyways, not decided yet.
I'm at least running out of ideas what to try and are more and more confident that this will never work good enough (at least for me).

Another thing that I'm really considering is going the 900Mhz DataLink way instead. The problem with this is the antenna part of the air end unit (it''s large and must point downwards), but this is something I'm pretty confident I can solve. The biggest problem for me is the steep price on the unit (520+ $, 3600+ NOK) and at least I have to be pretty confident this will work really good with both the P2V+ system and BTU unit (so that I can still use my iPAD), before I invest in that system.

So to finally sum it up from me (probably the third of forth sum up in this post :)), the 2,4Ghz DataLink system is a NO GO on our P2V+ :(

EspenA.

I clearly do not want to take anything away from your post. But I wanted to share with you that the Media use the word "drone" out of pure ignorance of not knowing the difference in UAV's and UAS's. A drone is a UAV which stands for "Unmanned Aerial Vehicle", and vehicles transport from one point to another. Drones, are what the government use with attached weapons, or to spy with, and more. The drone is the #1 reason the public are so opposed to the UAS that hobbyist fly. The UAS stands for "Unmanned Aerial Systems" and are not vehicles. Don't take this personal as several are misinformed. Even Dji refers to them as drones. and because they choose to contribute to the media's ignorance, just maybe Dji would be open to replacing our Quads after being knocked out of the air by someone throwing things at them.

EspenA, thank you for your very detailed response. You have saved me from some additional testing to find a solution I was pretty sure isn't there. I did go so far as to take a look at the signals with a spectrum analyzer and it confirmed what we have been seeing in operation that the datalink and the repeater are conflicting heavily. Its impressive that they can coexist at all albeit poorly. The datalink is broad spectrum across the 2.4Ghz range. It is interesting that generally the wifi FPV repeater generally wins out at any range. What I have done is to start up with the FPV repeater, get the phantom into the air, start video, turn off the FPV wifi repeater, power up the datalink and GS and then start a mission. Once the mission is running I can restart the FPV wifi repeater. I'll get my FPV video and camera control but the datalink and GS will be very slow to respond, if at all, but at least I can have FPV and camera control during the mission. I would agree though this is not really a viable solution and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I would try the 900Mhz datalink if it worked with the ipad but it appears that it does not and I'm not sure if I'm ready to haul around a laptop too.

It is really too bad that the "free" solution dji provided is so crippled. I wish they could offer us a GS app that worked with the existing radio on the phantom and FPV repeater. I would certainly be willing to pay significantly for such an app and it makes more sense to not have to add more hardware. If the app included POI and/or in flight orientation control I imagine lots of people would be willing to buy that.

I have come to the same conclusion as EspenA- the 2.4 datalink and GS do not work reliably with the V+. I knew in the back
of my mind before I bought the device that there had to be conflict with the FPV signal from the V+ but I gave it a try nonetheless.Reading wattsn's experiments encouraged me.But alas big mistake, system is totally unreliable.Even if it worked the full GS is limited with the naza M as it is.If you want a full GS with POI filming you need the wookong or you build your own quad with 3D robotics controller and the rest.

You live and learn. Just use the V+ for what it is good compact easy to use and transport little flying camera.

EsPena, I had a short discussion with Tony on his FP VLR thread. he suggested putting the 900 megahertz antenna above the center of the roof of the copter. it would be vertical and have good range.

I posted in the ground station thread for anyone who is using the 900 megahertz unit to please let me know about its range. I did not get a response and I, too, will not spend the money until I know someone got this working properly.

flyNfrank said:
EspenA said:
DronePilot said:

Thanks.

Hello all.

So what have I done:

EspenA.

I clearly do not want to take anything away from your post. But I wanted to share with you that the Media use the word "drone" out of pure ignorance of not knowing the difference in UAV's and UAS's. A drone is a UAV which stands for "Unmanned Aerial Vehicle", and vehicles transport from one point to another. Drones, are what the government use with attached weapons, or to spy with, and more. The drone is the #1 reason the public are so opposed to the UAS that hobbyist fly. The UAS stands for "Unmanned Aerial Systems" and are not vehicles. Don't take this personal as several are misinformed. Even Dji refers to them as drones. and because they choose to contribute to the media's ignorance, just maybe Dji would be open to replacing our Quads after being knocked out of the air by someone throwing things at them.

+1

Well I finished this mod and flew both days this weekend. My experience is no different than those stated above, but I love this mod. I was more than disappointed in the free DJI version due to the distance limitation. Today I flew out to >1mile, and returned safely. Lost GS on the mini around 1K meters as expected. Turned the wifi extender and DJI app back on the controller and with the Note 3 and had FPV the rest of the way out and back in. Just no control of the camera or distance readings. With my short experience with DJI products I keep my expectations very low, therefor my elation..
Thanks again Wattsn :D

ChuckMRN said:
Well I finished this mod and flew both days this weekend. My experience is no different than those stated above, but I love this mod. I was more than disappointed in the free DJI version due to the distance limitation. Today I flew out to >1mile, and returned safely. Lost GS on the mini around 1K meters as expected. Turned the wifi extender and DJI app back on the controller and with the Note 3 and had FPV the rest of the way out and back in. Just no control of the camera or distance readings. With my short experience with DJI products I keep my expectations very low, therefor my elation..
Thanks again Wattsn :D

I did some short flights with mine today. Just going out in a triangle about 300 feet to each waypoint to get my feet wet with it. I took control to land it each time. My next test will be with a 2.4ghz booster and a joystick.
Whatever happens with it I'll continue to learn and work around whatever limitations i encounter. I really like having this additional functionality.

At the risk of flogging this topic too much. If I wanted to just point the camera straight down and then fly a grid using the PC ground station, would there be a problem?

I guess I could at some point still take control by flipping the switch on the controller and land manually.

Is the problem just loss of FPV?

If I do go into panic mode part way through the flight, can I pick up the controller, take over and RTH?

I would like it to work because the iphone app waypoint flying is crap. I does very weird things when turning at each waypoint, and it does even seem to fly straight between the waypoints even with 8 - 10 satellites. The PC ground station seems a lot more useful

Attachments

• Waiwakaiho.jpg
    Waiwakaiho.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 469
I have flown many flights with the 900 Mhz datalink now and am very pleased with it. I wish however that it did work with the ipad as that would be lighter to carry. I did place the 900 Mhz antenna along one of the landing struts. I took apart the stock air antenna and put the wire along the inside of that strut. I think the power cost probably reduces my flight time by 1 or 2 minutes.

The range on the 900 Mhz is quite impressive. I have flown many times loops > 7 km without loosing the 900 Mhz link the entire flight. I have seen it flicker a couple times and by this I have found that the datalink signal quality indicator in the app is a little less than I expect. There are bars in the PC app to indicate datalink signal strength but what I have found is the bars don't actually indicate anything. Basically all bars show up as green, yellow or X'd out. There is no reduction of bars ever. When the signal strength has flickered for me was in a turn some 3 km out and I know there are some trees between me and my bird.

It is kind of spooky to send your bird on a 15 minute autonomous flight. Its great that you can at least keep telemetry the entire distance.

The 900 Mhz datalink does not seem to interfere with anything else. It is nice that the ground end of the datastation only uses USB for power so no other supply is needed as the 2.4 Ghz iOS one does need its own source.

Hey guys, sorry for popping in and asking a question you probably don't want to answer. But, you guys posting in this thread are the only members on point that know the answers.

I've been wanting to buy the ipad version of the ground station, but I have seriously procrastinated in getting it ordered. I need to know what I need or don't need?

DronePilot said:
I have flown many flights with the 900 Mhz datalink now and am very pleased with it. I wish however that it did work with the ipad as that would be lighter to carry. I did place the 900 Mhz antenna along one of the landing struts. I took apart the stock air antenna and put the wire along the inside of that strut. I think the power cost probably reduces my flight time by 1 or 2 minutes.

The range on the 900 Mhz is quite impressive. I have flown many times loops > 7 km without loosing the 900 Mhz link the entire flight. I have seen it flicker a couple times and by this I have found that the datalink signal quality indicator in the app is a little less than I expect. There are bars in the PC app to indicate datalink signal strength but what I have found is the bars don't actually indicate anything. Basically all bars show up as green, yellow or X'd out. There is no reduction of bars ever. When the signal strength has flickered for me was in a turn some 3 km out and I know there are some trees between me and my bird.

It is kind of spooky to send your bird on a 15 minute autonomous flight. Its great that you can at least keep telemetry the entire distance.

The 900 Mhz datalink does not seem to interfere with anything else. It is nice that the ground end of the datastation only uses USB for power so no other supply is needed as the 2.4 Ghz iOS one does need its own source.

Glad to hear it's working well. One minor correction though. The 2.4Ghz GS only requires an external power source when used with an iOS device. When used with the PC ground station s/w it gets it's power via USB, just like the 900Mhz GS.

cshaw said:
At the risk of flogging this topic too much. If I wanted to just point the camera straight down and then fly a grid using the PC ground station, would there be a problem?

I guess I could at some point still take control by flipping the switch on the controller and land manually.

Is the problem just loss of FPV?

If I do go into panic mode part way through the flight, can I pick up the controller, take over and RTH?

I would like it to work because the iphone app waypoint flying is crap. I does very weird things when turning at each waypoint, and it does even seem to fly straight between the waypoints even with 8 - 10 satellites. The PC ground station seems a lot more useful
Yes, only loss of fpv. And you can still turn off the ground station, it'll continue to fly and get fpv back if you'd like

DronePilot said:

This is great news for me and going to be my next mod. Are you using a CAN BUSS for connection or still the modified lead with solder connections.
Thanks, Chuck

I removed the adapter and soldered my leads just as wattsn did earlier in this post. No need in having any extra weight.
Also the stock air end antenna is rather huge and wouldn't fit nicely under the phantom. I removed it from its shell so that is basically just the coax trimmed, added some heat shrink to the end so it looks much like the stock antenna's running down the legs. So my antenna is basically invisible. The range is still awesome. Much more datalink range than control or FPV.

DronePilot said:
I removed the adapter and soldered my leads just as wattsn did earlier in this post. No need in having any extra weight.
Also the stock air end antenna is rather huge and wouldn't fit nicely under the phantom. I removed it from its shell so that is basically just the coax trimmed, added some heat shrink to the end so it looks much like the stock antenna's running down the legs. So my antenna is basically invisible. The range is still awesome. Much more datalink range than control or FPV.

Air end antennas on my unit are just two thin grey wires :?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18