Orlando phantom purchase

Reaction score
Heading over to the US soon from the UK and was wondering about picking up a phantom while out in Orlando.

Anyone know of any places I can pick one up?

There's a couple of dealers in Orlando area - Maitland Hobby I believe is one of them..

coxjon said:
Heading over to the US soon from the UK and was wondering about picking up a phantom while out in Orlando.

Ummm, why don't you just get one in the UK?

coxjon said:

gravesrc.com is in orlando and as of today has one Phantom 2 Vision in stock. Not sure which model you're looking for. Email them before your trip. Maybe you can get them to order one for pick up while you're here.

Its one of Orlando's most respected RC places. I buy all my hell stuff there. (don't tell them I bought my Phantom from BHPhoto.com)

coxjon said:

Normally I would advocate buying stuff in the States but why would you purchase a Phantom over there and not in the UK where you are protected by the SOG act?

Prices are the same when you factor in ST (which in Florida ranges from 6.0 to 7.5% depending in what county you purchase).
You also run the risk of being collared at UK customs for import duty and VAT which will end up making your purchase considerably more expensive than buying it here in Blighty.

Why bother to get one over in Orlando, getting it back will be fun. I do not know if you are with a family but I would watch your baggage weight. We were in Florida last year and when we returned we had to go to Walmart for anther small case and there is only three of us. If you buy in this country anything goes wrong at least you have a better chance of getting it sorted than abroad, plus why spend a nearly a grand of holiday cash it can be spent on other thing's. What I done was ordered a case on line and had it sent to the hotel as the postage was free out there , just told them when I was arriving, e-mailed the hotel to expect a parcel for me and they saved it until I arrived, cost $30 for admin and storage, on way home put it in the hold, I saved £70 in postage. If you read the forum's some of them have trouble in returning for repair, or getting a refund, over there, any complaint's here take it to local Trading Standards . At the end of the day it is your money "as they say". If you Google "model shop's in Orlando" before you go then you know where to go and how far away from your hotel, I do it every time we go. As the Editor say's you have to remember the exchange rate.

My friend and I used to joke about his neighbor who had a ton of tools that he would gladly lend when needed. The price of course was an exchange like this:

Q - "Can I borrow your impact drill?"
A - "Why do you want in impact drill? There are dozens of other ways to do that"

This guy simply asked if there was a phantom dealer in the orlando area. I'm sure you all have given him great cautionary advice about the perils of buying abroad, VAT issues and whatnot. Maybe he wants to buy one, use it and then sell it before he leaves. Who knows?

Maybe I'll rent him mine.

Please note that most of the dealers for DJI are mail order shops.
UAV-Outlets.com has a miniscule warehouse in Jacksonville.
I talked to the guy via phone and he said he is not set up for walk in customers.
When I was at the address given, the door was locked tight and the place is just a cubbyhole like office.
I would suggest that if you are planning on being in Orlando for a week or more, order online and have it shipped to your motel.
I ordered a bird from DSLR photos and they shipped in just a few days.
While DSLR may have an office in Florida, it may not be a regular store you can walk into and buy on the spot.
DSLR ships out of Las Vegas Nv.

If you don't mind a used one, I'm sure there are many in Florida willing to sell.
I could sell you my phantom 1 bird, no camera, if you're interested.
I'm 30 miles from Orlando and 10 miles from disneyworld.

jondrew said:
coxjon said:

gravesrc.com is in orlando and as of today has one Phantom 2 Vision in stock. Not sure which model you're looking for. Email them before your trip. Maybe you can get them to order one for pick up while you're here.

Its one of Orlando's most respected RC places. I buy all my hell stuff there. (don't tell them I bought my Phantom from BHPhoto.com)

Went to Graves RC today to pick up some parts and saw a fellow walking out with an in-the-box P2 with Zen Gimbal. When I checked on line before my first post they only had a P2 vision on hand. Like I said, if you are interested you could probably contact them before your trip and have them order/hold one for you. Its a reliable place and I frequently run into folks from the UK in there (not sure if they are visiting or living down here)

jondrew said:
coxjon said:

+1 - Plus the guys at Graves are really cool - I have always enjoyed talking to them.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl