I'm sure this has been asked before , but what if you are using Litchi and your flight log only shows half of your flight distance. I had a long distance mission today because conditions were perfect , to fly 4.2 miles . I lost signal at about a mile and waited patiently for its return. After over 20 min in the air I took over and landed with about 4 min of flight time left. My video shows the full trip was made , but the flight log says 2.03 miles. They need to put a flight log on the P4 itself and not just in the tablet .

p.s. Get well soon ftttu

You know I think litchi takes a lot of the skill and fun out of it.

I did a litchi mission today and it's a lot easier than piloting and maintaining a perfect speed, heading and altitude.

But not my board. I would say Litchi doesn't count unless you can prove you maintained solid video and controls at the furthest point.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I suppose, but this was started by a guy offering battery and antenna mods. Setting the course and cracking a beer doesn't take much as far as a piloting thing goes.

My opinion. I don't care... I'm trying to beat the range for unboosted and no battery mods

I believe Jake's original primary purpose was to compile a list of the best control ranges obtainable with P4's using his equipment in different environments by different users, while offering alternative equipment setups a chance to compete as well. It has worked quite well for that purpose. Jake's equipment is winning, hands down! Jake's battery mod will now help get you back home, if you pushed the control range too far. :cool:

This is interesting. With nothing more than a pair of €20 windsurfers I'm getting as much distance if not more than some here with complete antenna modes. To be fair, I am flying out over the sea and at night which can make for optimum flights, but I don't see a need for spending on a more costly solution. Those in more congested areas can probably benefit from the more serious modes. I'm sure I can get 10k or 6.2 miles on my next flight. All without any special modifications.

You know I think litchi takes a lot of the skill and fun out of it.

I did a litchi mission today and it's a lot easier than piloting and maintaining a perfect speed, heading and altitude.

But not my board. I would say Litchi doesn't count unless you can prove you maintained solid video and controls at the furthest point.

On the other hand, the preplanning and programming of the Litchi waypoint mission is where the skill comes in, and the fun is realized when the mission is completed, and then refined, and rerun, to improve upon it each time. To successfully automate something, you first have to be able to do it manually, or at least thoroughly understand the manual parameters. Litchi should be the tool to run the perfect mission, with the pilot then choosing the perfect conditions in which to fly the preprogrammed mission to optimize distance and flight time.

This is interesting. With nothing more than a pair of €20 windsurfers I'm getting as much distance if not more than some here with complete antenna modes. To be fair, I am flying out over the sea and at night which can make for optimum flights, but I don't see a need for spending on a more costly solution. Those in more congested areas can probably benefit from the more serious modes. I'm sure I can get 10k or 6.2 miles on my next flight. All without any special modifications.

Not much to see at night in the dark over the ocean. Sort of a waste of the venerable 4K video camera and gimbal setup on the P4. If there isn't anything worth seeing where you are flying, there really isn't any need to send a flying photographic platform there. The whole purpose of long range flying with a P4 for me is to shoot great footage up to 5 to 6 miles away in a semi-urban area, without leaving home, and without having to deal with traffic, parking, and all the annoying questions, and even intermeddlers telling you they don't want you flying there. The fish won't complain, but you can't see them at night! :cool:

Reactions: phxbird57
Not much to see at night in the dark over the ocean. Sort of a waste of the venerable 4K video camera and gimbal setup on the P4. If there isn't anything worth seeing where you are flying, there really isn't any need to send a flying photographic platform there. The whole purpose of long range flying with a P4 for me is to shoot great footage up to 5 to 6 miles away in a semi-urban area, without leaving home, and without having to deal with traffic, parking, and all the annoying questions, and even intermeddlers telling you they don't want you flying there. The fish won't complain, but you can't see them at night! :cool:

Oppsss. Don Trammell. My distance flights are simply to test the distance. I never said I was flying at night over water to record anything video anything. I think you misread my post. When I want to fly at night, I fly over the city from the park or from the beach area or from somewhere in the city where I can fly and catch night action. Anyway, with that being said, have a look at the night videos, and you will there is plenty to catch even around the water. www.vimeo.com/toho

Last edited:
Well like most programs it takes a lot of setup, but mostly eliminates the human error, like you said once the path is built

Hey guys first time posting here. Ordered the itelite from Jake, it should be showing up later today so I decided to test the range on my completely stock Phantom 4. 25,134 ft!! Was getting some weak video warnings but everything else was pretty smooth.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 352
Hey guys first time posting here. Ordered the itelite from Jake, it should be showing up later today so I decided to test the range on my completely stock Phantom 4. 25,134 ft!! Was getting some weak video warnings but everything else was pretty smooth.

Nice flight buddy 25,134ft stock battery

Nice job! Pretty darn good with stock antenna!

Hey bud, this is farthest distance from home, not total flight distance. Looks like you may have made it out 13,480 feet one way, but that doesn't make the Top 30.

Reactions: deltalimatango
Well like most programs it takes a lot of setup, but mostly eliminates the human error, like you said once the path is built

Automation also introduces the possibilty of changing conditions, like the huge construction crane that wasn't there when you created the mission, but someone hired for the day, on the day you fly the mission, that Litchi could innocently fly your aircraft into, or the tall sailboat or ship that happens to cross into the path of your low flying aircraft over water. Live flying is still safest, and you can spontaneously find interesting subjects that peplanning couldn't have anticipated. Each has its place. I'm still getting up to speed on Litchi. Flying behind tall buildings that fully block signal to photograph the back side without triggering RTH is very appealing, as the Litchi mission continues with or without signal to completion.

Oppsss. Don Trammell. My distance flights are simply to test the distance. I never said I was flying at night over water to record anything video anything. I think you misread my post. When I want to fly at night, I fly over the city from the park or from the beach area or from somewhere in the city where I can fly and catch night action. Anyway, with that being said, have a look at the night videos, and you will there is plenty to catch even around the water. www.vimeo.com/toho
Indeed! Amazing what 3200 ISO can pick up in 4K video at night over the city, or in a fireworks show! Making it home is just a little more challenging in the dark, flying by telemetry alone. For me, the distance tests are only relevant in areas that I intend to fly over for video. However, I understand the desire and the challenge to push the limits to the extreme. Best to get a battery mod first, just in case, as the range of control is completely independent of the battery (unless you insist upon also making it home, which is what the battery mod is for ;)). One way flights with a chase crew are the best way to test range without a battery mod. More difficult out over the ocean.

Indeed! Amazing what 3200 ISO can pick up in 4K video at night over the city, or in a fireworks show! Making it home is just a little more challenging in the dark, flying by telemetry alone. For me, the distance tests are only relevant in areas that I intend to fly over for video. However, I understand the desire and the challenge to push the limits to the extreme. Best to get a battery mod first, just in case, as the range of control is completely independent of the battery (unless you insist upon also making it home, which is what the battery mod is for ;)). One way flights with a chase crew are the best way to test range without a battery mod. More difficult out over the ocean.

I'm just keep it stock. I like flying at night. It is calm and there are less people to annoy me or ask questions like: "Is that a drone?" Yes some really ask. :) Also here in Finland, out over the seas at night seem to be the best as the big ships are usually in port or are out to see so they are transmitting nearby and wrecking my signal. Also, I have great insurance so if it goes in the drink, I will get a new one the next day. I fly for fun, and well maybe profit as I was asked to help film a documentary. So we will see how that goes. I still have my day job. :)

Reactions: Mikepoo
I'm just keep it stock. I like flying at night. It is calm and there are less people to annoy me or ask questions like: "Is that a drone?" Yes some really ask. :) Also here in Finland, out over the seas at night seem to be the best as the big ships are usually in port or are out to see so they are transmitting nearby and wrecking my signal. Also, I have great insurance so if it goes in the drink, I will get a new one the next day. I fly for fun, and well maybe profit as I was asked to help film a documentary. So we will see how that goes. I still have my day job. :)
Those big ships make very interesting subjects, but not if they are ruining your signal! Have you tried the channel hack, to see if it helps your signal stability in congested areas like that? Day jobs make our hobby possible! :cool:

Reactions: deltalimatango
Those big ships make very interesting subjects, but not if they are ruining your signal! Have you tried the channel hack, to see if it helps your signal stability in congested areas like that? Day jobs make our hobby possible! :cool:

Nope. Haven't tried that. However, I did set my region from Finland to US and I am able to access or manually set the channels. I see many hear go very deep into this and I think it is cool as I siphon off bits of info here and there. I fly for relaxation (took a few flights to get the pucker factor to lessen. :) ) but my real hobbies are photography (I am perfecting my night shooting with the P4 which is hobbled by its sensor), and Aikido (with Samurai sword training). I grab the drone when time permits and I head out down to the harbors to fly. If you get the chance, head over to www.vimeo.com/toho and you can see what I face when flying in the harbor but also some decent night flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna