Hey fellas I was following along with the thread and am impressed with he range you guys are getting. I have a stock P4 no mods and am getting around 3800 ft on my max flights. I would love to be able to make the 15000 ft mark or at least have the ability to fly this distance. What would you long range pros suggest my first step would be? I'm not looking for anything crazy, just whatever mods I need to fly freely without loosing signal. Really looking forward to your advice and your guidance! Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey fellas I was following along with the thread and am impressed with he range you guys are getting. I have a stock P4 no mods and am getting around 3800 ft on my max flights. I would love to be able to make the 15000 ft mark or at least have the ability to fly this distance. What would you long range pros suggest my first step would be? I'm not looking for anything crazy, just whatever mods I need to fly freely without loosing signal. Really looking forward to your advice and your guidance! Thanks in advance!!

I would recommend starting with a ItElite antenna. If you find you want more distance you can add an amplified kit to it. Check this page out: DJI Phantom 4

Let me know if you have any questions!

I would recommend starting with a ItElite antenna. If you find you want more distance you can add an amplified kit to it. Check this page out: DJI Phantom 4

Let me know if you have any questions!

Yup that's what I'm looking for. I don't think I'm a fan of the hole drilling so I guess it would be the clean install route for me. I appreciate pointing me in the right direction!

Reactions: JakeMaxxUAV
Even though they've been getting a bad rap lately, I still believe in my copper WindSurfers. I went 15,000ft without any signal or signal strength loss. Could have gone to 20,000ft I'm sure but I was worried about battery life.

Even though they've been getting a bad rap lately, I still believe in my copper WindSurfers. I went 15,000ft without any signal or signal strength loss. Could have gone to 20,000ft I'm sure but I was worried about battery life.

Ok so I went with the windsurfer for now. $20 no big loss and at least worth a shot. Not looking to break records just looking to get more out of the stock set up for now :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: dirtybum
Hahaaa I just had my longest flight... Just under 9000 ft... Stock... I know I know... "Awe I remember my first beer" Hahaaa

New record best yet! Phantom 4 w/ droneside battery mod and Maxx Range antenna boosted first 1/2 of flight then unboosted rest of the way!
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

8ye54z.png

Reactions: JakeMaxxUAV
New record best yet! Phantom 4 w/ droneside battery mod and Maxx Range antenna boosted first 1/2 of flight then unboosted rest of the way!

8ye54z.png

Great flight D, but if you don't mind sharing the details of how you went boosted and then unboosted you have got my imagination running wild. I thought if your battery ran out on the booster, then your signal just dead ends into the unpowered booster and never makes it to the antenna?

Great flight D, but if you don't mind sharing the details of how you went boosted and then unboosted you have got my imagination running wild. I thought if your battery ran out on the booster, then your signal just dead ends into the unpowered booster and never makes it to the antenna?
I was getting too much interference with the boosters. I never use the boosters as I get more range and better signal strength without them to be honest. Just the standard maxx range antenna with thin, short cables are the way to go. So to summarize, amps = more signal noise/interference along the video feed and sometimes drone signal and less range. I had the video feed signal channel selection on AUTO as this is the way to go with the Maxx Range antenna and not the 32 channel hack into the higher channels with 30 or 31.

I was getting bad video feed interference about 3.5 miles out so I unplugged it all and just hooked the maxx range antenna up direct and video feed issues were gone. I flew the rest of the flight without amps and get the max range out displayed on the report!

I was getting too much interference with the boosters. I never use the boosters as I get more range and better signal strength without them to be honest. Just the standard maxx range antenna with thin, short cables are the way to go. So to summarize, amps = more signal noise/interference along the video feed and sometimes drone signal and less range. I had the video feed signal channel selection on AUTO as this is the way to go with the Maxx Range antenna and not the 32 channel hack into the higher channels with 30 or 31.

I was getting bad video feed interference about 3.5 miles out so I unplugged it all and just hooked the maxx range antenna up direct and video feed issues were gone. I flew the rest of the flight without amps and get the max range out displayed on the report!

That's very gutsy, you must of been fast is a pit crew! When you unplug everything and try to regroup it, it doesn't try to send you into RTH mode?

That's very gutsy, you must of been fast is a pit crew! When you unplug everything and try to regroup it, it doesn't try to send you into RTH mode?
Correct. The setting before I took-off was RTH on complete loss of signal. It spent a good 2.5 minutes flying home-bound before I was able to reconnect with the drone. I wasn't worried as I knew I had a good 26-28 minutes of flight time on the drone with the battery mod.

Reactions: GKPK
Correct. The setting before I took-off was RTH on complete loss of signal. It spent a good 2.5 minutes flying home-bound before I was able to reconnect with the drone. I wasn't worried as I knew I had a good 26-28 minutes of flight time on the drone with the battery mod.

It's been recommended by most antenna companies not to have your controller turned on without antennas hooked up! That's why I said "gutsy"! Nice flight, thanks for sharing[emoji41]

It's been recommended by most antenna companies not to have your controller turned on without antennas hooked up! That's why I said "gutsy"! Nice flight, thanks for sharing[emoji41]
Ghaa haha yeah it's true else you run the risk of frying it.

I was getting forward sensor errors, so I opened the bird back up, One of my power leads was preventing the sensor from sitting down where its supposed to. So I rerouted the wires and everything fit in place properly. It was a 9 mile an hour headwind this morning so I didn't want to push it too hard but I probably could've rang 47,000 out of it. I'll get back out on a calm day
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468332442.514927.jpg

Reactions: DanielMyst777
I chose to emergency land 2 miles away from home point after a 46+ thousand feet run this morning, I had too much batteries strapped on and after a good smooth run, 4 miles from home it start given random "maximum motorspeed errors" which would cause the aircraft to yaw to the side, I would then have to slow down and get back on course. I thought this could be dangerous if it happened once I got to critical 10% so I chose to land in a safe spot(which sucks because I had plenty enough battery)
Check this out, with 2 miles of trees and a few houses in my way I was able to land all the way to the ground and still have perfect control and preview while I was on the ground using the terminator boosted, amazing
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468430598.715037.jpg

When I went to recover the bird I took this picture of me facing my home point to show the kind of obstacles in the way, and it still didn't interrupt signal
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468430653.987102.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Procharged97
**** that is pretty amazing!!!

sent from my POS Samsung Galaxy

Newb question: I've flown my P4 about 25 times now. I'm afraid to take it beyond about a half a mile. I'll get a flicker of a red warning and I am afraid of the unknown. What if I keep flying and loose signal.

In theory, the drone should return to home, correct? Does it throw warnings and generally can continue to fly for quite a bit further? What is real world on this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna