I tell you this P4 is a heck of a lot of fun to run distance with, but it's a whole different ballgame, constantly watching numbers, doing math, evaluating distance left versus battery percent is left, constantly moving the throttle back-and-forth. It keeps you on your toes[emoji41]

I tell you this P4 is a heck of a lot of fun to run distance with, but it's a whole different ballgame, constantly watching numbers, doing math, evaluating distance left versus battery percent is left, constantly moving the throttle back-and-forth. It keeps you on your toes[emoji41]
DJI wanted you to earn your stripes, not just put it in Autopilot! ;)
Well done, Sir! :cool:

Reactions: dirtybum
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468860500.302409.jpg

New personal best with the P4
49,050'
Bat mod. 2000 mah maxamps
Horizon Terminator UNBOOSTED

Flew out at 34mph flew back 37mph. Landed with 1%
Flying out into a 2mph Head/crosswind.

View attachment 60065
49,050'

This one made it back to my feet, but you'll have to take my word for it, because the DJI app did not show any record of this flight!!
So frustrating!
I've had this issue with the PIII and this device, and concluded that it was probably because I have the most recent app version but older controller firmware. This has never happened with this device on the P4. Now that the app is showing to update and I ignore it, I hope it's a one time thing.
The thing that concerns me is that what if I had an emergency situation! If I had to go retrieve the bird and I had no record of my flight log that could spell some serious trouble.
So you can add that one to the leaderboard or leave it off because I don't have the log and HD report it's up to you.

This one made it back to my feet, but you'll have to take my word for it, because the DJI app did not show any record of this flight!!
So frustrating!
I've had this issue with the PIII and this device, and concluded that it was probably because I have the most recent app version but older controller firmware. This has never happened with this device on the P4. Now that the app is showing to update and I ignore it, I hope it's a one time thing.
The thing that concerns me is that what if I had an emergency situation! If I had to go retrieve the bird and I had no record of my flight log that could spell some serious trouble.
So you can add that one to the leaderboard or leave it off because I don't have the log and HD report it's up to you.
The screenshot says it all! That's the only requirement here!
Awesome range and flying, DB! :cool: Going to have to get me some MaxAmp 2000’s and a Terminator!

Awesome range and flying, DB! :cool: Going to have to get me some MaxAmp 2000’s and a Terminator!

That's cool gadget! Yeah I got no reason to lie about it. I tell you guys plenty of times when I don't make it back like in post #716[emoji41]
I'll have to look back, but I think this might be the first flight that I fought the critical autoland on the P4, and because this is my only P4 I find it a little less disposable than my P3's! So as you can imagine my adrenaline was really pumping when I finally hand caught it[emoji41]

Yeah I'm really surprised that those 2000s are giving me about the same flight time as the 5.2 MultiStar. And without all the trouble of having to reduce the voltage down to 4.32 on the LiHV's.
Even though I don't have a flight log, my routine is every time I land an aircraft, before shutting it off, I set it on the ground and check the flight time in the DJI go app. This flight time was 30 1/2 minutes.

Reactions: Lee SK
That's cool gadget! Yeah I got no reason to lie about it. I tell you guys plenty of times when I don't make it back like in post #716[emoji41]
I'll have to look back, but I think this might be the first flight that I fought the critical autoland on the P4, and because this is my only P4 I find it a little less disposable than my P3's! So as you can imagine my adrenaline was really pumping when I finally hand caught it[emoji41]
You squeezed every last drop out of that battery setup! It's also your own record that you beat! I know the feeling, having only
one P4 myself, and three P3P’s that I consider more "disposable". Well done! I hope I don't run into the same issue, but the app is the only piece on my P4 setup that is not updated solely because of GEO, because DJI has promised that they will soon make GEO mandatory in the app, instead of optional, like now.

View attachment 60065
49,050'

BTW, I never intended to go UNboosted on this flight. I actually just forgot my booster battery at home[emoji41]
So it's interesting to know that I don't really need it!

Yeah I'm really surprised that those 2000s are giving me about the same flight time as the 5.2 MultiStar. And without all the trouble of having to reduce the voltage down to 4.32 on the LiHV's.
Even though I don't have a flight log, my routine is every time I land an aircraft, before shutting it off, I set it on the ground and check the flight time in the DJI go app. This flight time was 30 1/2 minutes.
Based upon the screenshot, the distance away from the Home Point was 49,022 feet, so a 30.5 minute round trip is wonderful out of those MA 2000’s. The 2000’s may be the P4 sweet spot for weight and amperage. The P4 is a different animal than the P3!

BTW, I never intended to go UNboosted on this flight. I actually just forgot my booster battery at home[emoji41]
So it's interesting to know that I don't really need it!
Indeed! That will save some dollars in using this setup. Got any pictures of how it looks when flying? Are you on a tripod or using a tray?

Based upon the screenshot, the distance away from the Home Point was 49,022 feet, so a 30.5 minute round trip is wonderful out of those MA 2000’s. The 2000’s may be the P4 sweet spot for weight and amperage. The P4 is a different animal than the P3!

At under 400 g for two of them, it flies like you have no externals on at all. Keep in mind though, this was super calm weather so I use the formula that works for me with the P3 going at least 33 mph on the way out and no less than 36 on the way back depending on battery management.
So again, calm is the key

At under 400 g for two of them, it flies like you have no externals on at all. Keep in mind though, this was super calm weather so I use the formula that works for me with the P3 going at least 33 mph on the way out and no less than 36 on the way back depending on battery management.
So again, calm is the key
When you turn around at 50% remaining, you definitely need 10% more speed on the way back, if you plan on being there to handcatch it! ;) Well planned and perfectly executed! :cool:

When you turn around at 50% remaining, you definitely need 10% more speed on the way back, if you plan on being there to handcatch it! ;) Well planned and perfectly executed! :cool:

I've flown enough of these long flights to know if your distance reaches more than your bat level #, (example, you hit 50,000' at 50% bat level or 45,000 at 45% etc.) you will not make it back unless you're going 36 miles an hour or more on your return.
You'll slowly see you making progress if you can go 36 or faster, slow progress, but enough to assure you that you're going to land with 2% to 10%

Last edited:
Thanks! It's fairly unwieldy, compared to the DBS-02, right? Not exactly handholdable?

It's handhold-able, but you'll still want a lanyard. When I'm hobby flying (which doesn't happen too often) I use the maxxrange, as far as weight goes, it doesn't feel much different than the DBS 02

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga