NVIDIA or IPAD

DTM

Reaction score
Hi all

Likely to be committing to the phantom 4 pro very soon but debating whether to go with NVIDIA tablet or IPAD. I've heard litchi conflicts with having phantom go 4 app. Anybody have any suggestions, thoughts or experiences with both.

Oh and how are people getting on with the 4 pro?

Cheers

What type of phone do you have, Apple or Android? Thetre's not much DJO GO functionality difference between iOS and Android and the Nvidia Shield K1 and later iPads are both used by many with good success so in the end it may be best to just go with what you're used to.

What type of phone do you have, Apple or Android? Thetre's not much DJO GO functionality difference between iOS and Android and the Nvidia Shield K1 and later iPads are both used by many with good success so in the end it may be best to just go with what you're used to.
I have a Samsung phone but just read the Nvidia has a poor battery. I know the Samsung Tab is no good with both apps as I've seen it in action and it causes video distortion but as soon as we use the iPad there are no issues

Ok. I used iPad (iPad's - iPad 2 > iPad Air > iPad pro, all 9,7") before my Phantom, but if I needed to go reverse (buy a tablet as a second step/consideration), I would think about what else (beside drone flying) I would like to do with my Tab. And there the main difference are Apps - if you go Android, You'll mostly use apps designed for smartphone screen size (because the smartphone is the main money source for all the inhabitants of the ecosystem). On Apple side, more than half of Apps have a slight different version for iPhone and iPad (UI, ergonomics, may some from UI differences derived functionality).
Further, there's screen aspect ratio thing - most droid Tabs have 16:10 or 16:9, which is not a good thing for anything except movie watching (by using on-screen Keyboard you don't have much of screen real estate left for non-Keyboard info). For me, iPad's 3:4 is more universal.

But - I don't wanna flame any platform wars - of course, there may are some rationale behind choosing Android.
Just avoid those dirt-cheap ones - I wouldn't put an expensive P4Pro on risk by using an sub-par quality piece of 50$ electronics as a command screen.
Ok, Phantom can fly without any phone/tablet on RC, but that would be more about flying, than video/photo - for pure flying-joy any toy or racing drone is better than Phantom.

Reactions: DTM
I have a Samsung phone but just read the Nvidia has a poor battery. I know the Samsung Tab is no good with both apps as I've seen it in action and it causes video distortion but as soon as we use the iPad there are no issues

My Samsung SM-T580 works just fine with my P3P. Everything i have is android so wasnt about to buy an apple product.

However, my brothers ipad mini works just fine for his P3P as well.

I just bought an Nvidia Shield K1 for my P4P and I'm not a fan. First, the HDMI output is not 1280x720 image, it's 1280x800, which many goggles won't accept. My new Fatshark Transformers don't accept the HDMI out from the K1. My friend's Fatshark HD2 does accept the signal for some weird reason. So frustrating!

Also, the shield has terrible battery life. 3-4 hours is all you get with the screen at full-bright, which it has to be to see it at all outside.

The screen brightness is so bad you really can't see the screen outside, and it's HYPER reflective. I bought some matted screen covers for the shield from Amazon which reduced the reflection significantly and made it barely useable.

I'm gonna keep using it until the CrystalSky monitors come out and pay a premium for a pro quality ultra-bright monitor.

See if you can return it for a Nexus 7 2013, I use one of those and it works very well. No HDMI output though.

Nvidia shield k1 is how I roll.
had two of them.

Just flew with the shield and P4P for the first time. Had to wait until sunset so I could see the image. The lag on the HD video is pretty bad, even nearby, I got occasional video freezes for a split second. I'm definitely NOT going to be flying this rig like I would a normal analog rig, super close to things. It's just not safe to do that. I've never been a fan of how twitchy the phantom controllers are. I need to spend some time adjusting it so it flies smoothly and responds smoothly to inputs. But the image quality is really remarkable, and that's what matters to me. I'm looking forward to taking this out and doing some serious photography. But if I could do it again, I'd get a brighter tablet with better battery life. I'd recommend an ipad mini or something else over the shield.

I just bought an Nvidia Shield K1 for my P4P and I'm not a fan. First, the HDMI output is not 1280x720 image, it's 1280x800, which many goggles won't accept. My new Fatshark Transformers don't accept the HDMI out from the K1. My friend's Fatshark HD2 does accept the signal for some weird reason. So frustrating!

Also, the shield has terrible battery life. 3-4 hours is all you get with the screen at full-bright, which it has to be to see it at all outside.

The screen brightness is so bad you really can't see the screen outside, and it's HYPER reflective. I bought some matted screen covers for the shield from Amazon which reduced the reflection significantly and made it barely useable.

I'm gonna keep using it until the CrystalSky monitors come out and pay a premium for a pro quality ultra-bright monitor.
This feedback is vital thank you, I'll go iPad as I know it works and works well which Is a big thing as I didn't want to go with apple at all

The only reason I would recommend a Shield K1 is if you were a Mavic Pro pilot and wanted to use goggles or a large screen. I don't know of any other tablet that has an independent HDMI output, which is essential for Mavic FPV flying. My friend who recommended the shield has both the P4P and Mavic, so it makes sense for him.

The shield needs an anti reflective screen added to use well outside, and some sort of portable power supply to charge it between flights. I bought the DJI USB charger, which lets me charge the shield off of my P4 battery

Have K1(199$) and its been flawless, just stay on marshmallow 6.1 not nougat 7, theres been some probs. Battery life is OK, unless you got 7 batteries and gona fly 3hrs straight, it also can charge from RC by setting USB config to Charging, in Developer Options, I also us Hoodman Hav1 with extender(59$). The new Crystalsky tablets use android op system, and they not perfect in Sun, need hood also.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl