Not sure what just happened...

Reaction score
so I had a little time this morning and decided that it would be fun to go fly in a big field nearby and do some atti flying and test the autonomous modes before heading up to Vermont next week. I've never used the autonomous modes and didn't wanna be trying anything out for the first time in the moment, of course.

So, I tried waypoints and follow me without fail the first time, flew around in P-GPS for a bit, then went back into F-mode and tried follow me again. This time, it went overhead and I moved the gimble down when it passed overhead. When I did that, the phantom turned around and went full-speed backwards towards a more distant treeline beyond the field I was in, and one it wasn't clear of. I hit it back into P-GPS, and it stopped right in place. I calibrated right before flying and it had 16 satellites, but I'm guessing it had nothing to do with gps since I saved it with P-GPS. Scared the crap out of me. It also wasn't a gust. I was flying in the stronger winds in atti just fine and even when I let control go it wasn't drifting nearly that fast - I was only about 60ft up. Flown here dozens of times. I DID just try to upgrade to the latest firmware, but my phantom said the version was the same that was already on it, just as it did last time.. My RC is up to date

Reactions: John Lo
What were you using as your device connected to RC ?

Loss of GPS signal or corrupt location reporting would do that.

If it lost the GPS signal, switching back into P-GPS wouldn't have worked, though. It stopped right in place. And I was using an iPhone 6S Plus

I do mean on the device not drone.

The follow mode relies on a good gps home location.

Best thing to do is upload your logs to healthy drones . com and see the track and the home point position, see if home jumps suddenly.

This seems to be a bug in the App.

If it lost the GPS signal, switching back into P-GPS wouldn't have worked, though. It stopped right in place. And I was using an iPhone 6S Plus

When you were in follow me mode if the IPhone 6S lost GPS or gave an incorrect GPS location It would do as you described. The Phantom mounted GPS was always working correctly, that's why it stopped when you switched modes; it was no longer trying to go back to your phone.

No, its doing what supposed to do if it think the home position has moved in follow mode.

The only way to see is look at the logs.
This was also my first guess. It was returning to the last known home point when follow me was used previously.

If my phone lost GPS though, why didn't the home position ever appear to change when I went through the flight log in real time on the DJI Go app? Either way, I gotta figure out how to get these logs off of my P3

OP turned the gimbal down during waypoint flying mode and P3 moved to a not previously used location. This is little confusing.

Yes looking at the logs will give better idea about the probable cause of the issue.

I normally don't move my gimbal during waypoint tracking, so thought it could be a glitch in the SW.

Also so everyone knows, it was heading to a point it had never been. It was going out over the hills in the opposite direction of the parking lot not back towards where I had ever been

If my phone lost GPS though, why didn't the home position ever appear to change when I went through the flight log in real time on the DJI Go app? Either way, I gotta figure out how to get these logs off of my P3

you can get them off your phone directly.

connect to iTunes and goto iPhone with phone connected via lead in that, make sure phone is not in standby and scroll to bottom of page.

you will see file sharing. select go app

drag the whole flight logs directory to your desktop.

from there you can upload to healthy drones

Also so everyone knows, it was heading to a point it had never been. It was going out over the hills in the opposite direction of the parking lot not back towards where I had ever been
Exactly that was one of my point to say it might be a SW glitch. Get logs out for analysis.

Remember you can only transfer when iPhone is active and not in standby.

Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 17.25.56.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl