Newbie advise please.

Reaction score
Hi. I'm interested in getting started in this hobby. I plan to build my own rig rather than buying a RTF job, ( well not from scratch ) I'm thinking of starting off with a 550 ready to go except for transmitter and batteries for AU$ 770 from Helipal. I aim to use it with an iPad, a gimbal and a go pro camera. I don't want to have to upgrade because I've found I've bought the wrong gear to start with so I'm asking for some advice from you nice people.
So I'll be starting off with a set of batteries, a charger and a transmitter I guess? Could you advise on what I should be looking at? I don't want top of the range stuff at the moment but would like quality reliable gear which is capable of doing the work. Do you think I'm going about this the right way doing it this way?
I have very limited knowledge at the moment so would appreciate if you could put it in lay mans terms.

Thanking you in advance. Taph.

Connectivity to an iPad will be problematic. Usually, the only airframe that uses the iPad for FPV is the P2 Vision. The rest of us use a 5.8 ghz rx/monitor and 2.4 ghz radio (which is fairly standard).

A basic artf kit in 550 or 450 mode might be a good start. I bought an 'rtf' kit from helipal (a 550) and it was very simple to get going - currently making an 810 from lots of parts.

An artf kit for $770 will probably not include the radio and fpv gear and it looks like you have figured that out.

You will spend about $300 or so for an FPV setup for it (tx, monitor,rx). Add a gimbal ($350 or more). GoPro (3-4 hundred) and you will have a complete setup.

I always say if you are just starting out...go with a RTF. You can focus on learning to fly instead of having to build it and getting discouraged....unless you are experienced. I always buy RTF and open it up to see how everything is laid out and make sure everything is snug and not about to come loose and apart. Heli-Pal is the best way to go in my opinion.

FangsCPO said:
I always say if you are just starting out...go with a RTF. You can focus on learning to fly instead of having to build it and getting discouraged....unless you are experienced. I always buy RTF and open it up to see how everything is laid out and make sure everything is snug and not about to come loose and apart. Heli-Pal is the best way to go in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more - if not experienced, the lingo will be difficult to understand and things you should do will be overlooked. An RTF shows you how they did it. You will probably change things slightly when you build yours but you will be doing it with knowledge and not guessing.

That doesn't mean it can't be done (these things aren't THAT complicated since the black boxes take care of the hard stuff) - it's just that it will be easier and less likely to end in a crash.

Ok. Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'll be getting the RTF 550 then. Seems by the posts there's a bit more to flying these things than I thought! I'll learn to fly it and take it from there. Probably catch the "upgrade bug" after that.

Taph said:
Ok. Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'll be getting the RTF 550 then. Seems by the posts there's a bit more to flying these things than I thought! I'll learn to fly it and take it from there. Probably catch the "upgrade bug" after that.

It's very easy thanks to the DJI technology. I've been flying for just barely over a year. So just find an open park with grass and after watching all the videos on YouTube start flying. You'll be surprised how quickly you catch on. Whatever you do, don't take your first flight out of your backyard. Those never end well. Good luck!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Taph said:

It's very easy thanks to the DJI technology. I've been flying for just barely over a year. So just find an open park with grass and after watching all the videos on YouTube start flying. You'll be surprised how quickly you catch on. Whatever you do, don't take your first flight out of your backyard. Those never end well. Good luck!!

FangsCPO said:
Whatever you do, don't take your first flight out of your backyard. Those never end well. Good luck!!

My first flight was in the backyard. My 30th was, too. However, down the road, my last flight with my P2 ended in disaster. I actually destroyed the P2. It is currently in a million pieces on my bench. Parts on order (gimbal, props, landing gear, FPV, cables, and all the important stuff). It was an explosion of parts raining down. GoPro survived...

Okay.....one lucky person. LOL!!!

So! Looks like the idea is to try out all the controls and get used to it at a safe height also? I could imagine some people blasting off into the clouds and then trying their skill?

Taph said:
So! Looks like the idea is to try out all the controls and get used to it at a safe height also? I could imagine some people blasting off into the clouds and then trying their skill?

Set the firmware, go to where you are going to fly. Set the compass. Keep it low and check out everything first. Including IOC and failsafe and response to controls and hovering in GPS. Try a full 360 with yaw. Note any issues. Jump out a little way and bring it back. Do some maneuvers. Screw around with it for a whole battery' but don't go long or high. Feel good? Load up a fresh battery and do some photo runs. Step into it gently so you feel good about what it can do.

If control isn't what you expected, go back and align things. Double check all the settings. Step into it gently.

Hi Taph, looks like I am walking a parallel path to you! Same obstacles- same decisions to make.

I've ordered the F450 [my costings are tight] ARF, and with the unanimous advice of the group ordered the Naza v2 with GPS.

Here in the UK, everything DJI is severely back order- so I'm in for a wait. [It looks like this Colin Guinn thing has resulted in the Far East suppliers getting priority]

Back to the point- I've been looking at my transmitter/receiver options. The FrSky was starting to appeal [again based on cost] but I was getting concerned about launching myself on yet another learning curve. I want to focus on the build and getting it set up right.

Having cut my first teeth with the original Phantom 1- I am familiar with the stock DJI TX/RX. It could not be less simply- the only controls you have are the ones you need, and how to use it out of the box is easy and well documented.

But I wanted to step up to the TX supplied with the latest Phantom v1.1.1. However, sourcing this was a mission.

The latest phantom transmitter is labelled DJ6, same as the old one. But it is suffixed by the digits v1.1.1. [i.e. DJ6 v1.1.1]
This is important because it is only the latest version that will marry up with the Futaba compatible RX with D-bus- only 1 wire between the RX and the Naza. This is the dual antenna version- part no. DJI-PH-RX-V3

I've ordered the pair from Helipal. The cost circa £70 GBP.

My thinking here is that after I have the project in the air [touch wood] I will have the option to sell the TX/RX package without major lose and upgrade to a more advanced transmitter.

The only flaw in all this, The stock Phantom kit offers no option to soften the yaw [rotation] which is a bit of a disadvantage to smooth video. But I reckon to be trying to sort this out in editing to start with.

Final thought- if you google that DJI-PH-RX-V3 I think it will show up a supplier in your neck of the woods.

Discv, I'm afraid you're miles ahead of me! I've never even handled anything RC before. I'll just buy the RTF job and I think an extra battery and take it from there. I'm still trying to get my head around all the jargon. Maybe it would be a good idea for someone to post a glossary of terms used in the drone world and a short explanation off each term for us green horns who want to get into the hobby. It would make it a lot easier.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl